roller block?

-

1qwikScamp

Reaction score
i am in the middle of building a roller 408 from a 95 model magnum block. am i going to have any trouble running a LA style head other than the pushrod length and adjustible rockers?

thanks
Sam

i am in the middle of building a roller 408 from a 95 model magnum block. am i going to have any trouble running a LA style head other than the pushrod length and adjustible rockers?

thanks
Sam

I dont think that the Magnum based blocks have the oiling holes that go from the block thru the heads to the Rockers.

Can a Magnum Block be converted over to LA OILING???????

Anyone want to chime in and help 1QUICKSCAMP??? Come on fellersssss:-D

Off the top of my head.. you could drill the block to oil the head , or partially drill and then drill, tap & plumb a line into the side of the raised galley & over to the cam journal.
kinda like how they join drvrs to pass lifter galley...

Off the top of my head.. you could drill the block to oil the head , or partially drill and then drill, tap & plumb a line into the side of the raised galley over to the cam journal.
kinda like how they join drvrs to pass lifter galley...

Anyone got pictures of this process??

You could partially drill the deck boss and then feed it from the side
Here's an idea of how, though that is not what they were doing in this pic.

p149881_image_large.jpg

I'm not sure that oiling through the pushrods will oil the rocker shaft. The correct way to do it is to drill the proper oiling passage into the deck. Probably best left to a machine shop.

I believe the cam junals{spelling} also need to have the oiling holes or grooved cam bearings? I suggest useing magnum heads. If you already have LA heads sell them and use the monies tward mag heads you will be "ahead" in the long run. No pun intended.

i am planning on using some heavily ported edelbrocks from hughes or a set of the 360-1 indys both of which are LA style heads is that uncommon for magnum block to have theese oiling holes i cheked it again while i was out there it is a 4 8 95 magnum you can see the threaded bosses for the lifter spyder and it has the later motor mount pads

you might want to get a flashlight and a single strand of wire and check that it goes all the way thru to the cam bearing...

if it does...good to go...

it does go through i blew through it with an air hose to see where it came out is there anything else i need to take into consideration when putting LA stuff on this block

That block is fine for LA heads so long as air can get thru that hole in the deck surface to the hole in the cam bearing bore. But make sure you get LA 360 cam bearings.

And use LA head gaskets. Magnum gaskets will block the oil passage.

Some will and some wont. I used Permatorque 519SD MAGNUM gaskets that are .054 Compressed on my RHS/LA X Heads and the oil hole was there. The reason I needed to use them was my pistons were out of the hole .016-.018 so quench distance ended up at .036-.038 only gasket that would work at the time with the bigger water passages on these heads. Now Cometic gaskets will work since they changed their jig a bit to accommodate these heads. The 1008's will work also but for my application they didn't make them thick enough.

On the 519SD gasket the gasket goes all the way around the push rod holes. I cut all of that off with snips before install because the push rods would not clear those openings in the gasket. FYI

Just a heads up is all.

-
Back