Roller cam question

-

63 dart wagon

Reaction score
Do you have to use a cam button on a big block mopar with a solid or roller cam?
Have been told yes and no. Thanks for the help.

With a hydraulic roller or a solid roller a cam button is required in a big block Mopar.

With a hydraulic flat tappet and a solid flat tappet they are not required.

Solid roller, yes. And make sure to check your camshaft endplay during your mock up, so you can adjust accordingly if needed. Don't want that sucker walkin' on ya! ;)

I have a hydraulic roller. I used a roller thrust button and I reinforced the timing cover by welding a washer on it so that the timing cover contacts the back of the water pump housing.

Attachments

• IMG_1060.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_1059.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 446
If you use the billet aluminum timing chain cover then you can easily measure the camshaft end play. The center plate comes off so you can adjust the end play without having to take things all apart. You can also adjust the cam timing if you have a hex-a-just.

Attachments

• AR224d (Large).jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 220
Could someone shed some light on which button is prefured or better to use?
Andy?

If you use the billet aluminum timing chain cover then you can easily measure the camshaft end play. The center plate comes off so you can adjust the end play without having to take things all apart. You can also adjust the cam timing if you have a hex-a-just.

Or if you have some plasticine and an IQ better than a Gold fish, then you can measure it as well.

Could someone shed some light on which button is prefured or better to use?
Andy?

I use the billet cover and the matching roller button for all the engines I build. Once you find a system that works you tend to stick with it. I keep a selection of different timing chain gaskets on hand since that is the easiest way to change the end play.

Attachments

• AR281a (Large).jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 200
-
Back