Roller cam selection help

-

dukeboy440

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Working with a Cam company to have a custom grind done. They gave me a list of 4 to choose from for my combo, I ruled out the two most aggressive as they were pushing past the .600 lift mark.
Narrowed it to these two:

238/246 @ .050, 278/286 adv, .524/.543 lift (1.5:1 rocker), 110 sep, .020/.020 lash

or

244/244 @ .050, 278/278 adv, .548/.548 lift, 110 sep, .020/.020 lash

Which roller?

My combo is a 440, zero decked, 10.3:1 compression, 88 CC Edlebrock performer RPM Heads, Holley Street Dominator single plane intake, 1 3/4 headers, Forged L2355 Pistons from SpeedPro. Forged crank, internally balanced. Transmission is a T56 Magnum. Rear gear will be 4.10. car weight between 3000-3200 pounds. 26 inch tire.

We need more information on what the car will be used for & what drive train you will be running.

We need more information on what the car will be used for & what drive train you will be running.
Combo is in last paragraph. 74 dart swinger, 440 t56 magnum, 4.10 rear, dana 60 track lock.
Street/strip/autoX/cruise

Runnin headers so go with the single pattern.

Not sure what you mean by the single pattern? The .548/.548?

Correct. Running headers means it does not need as much exhaust help as with manifolds. General rule of thumb is split patern with manifolds single pattern with headers. There are exceptions, but this is not one, IMO.

Correct. Running headers means it does not need as much exhaust help as with manifolds. General rule of thumb is split patern with manifolds single pattern with headers. There are exceptions, but this is not one, IMO.
Sweet thanks!!!

I’m going with your favorite grinder too, Oregon Cams

Ken Heard has forgotten more about camshafts than most people will ever know. He's good people. So is Bill. They are very nice. I am waiting on one from them right now, in fact. Should be here any day. I'm pretty stoked about it. It's a rowdy little slant grind. lol 250 @ .050 on a 106 LSA. LMAO

In fact, I got Bill on the phone the other day. I told him "Hi Bill, this is Rob Merritt" he says "Ken has your name written down as Joe" I said "That's cool, I answer to pretty much anything" He says "Ok asshole, what's goin on?" and laughed his *** off. Man I can deal with people like that. LOL

Not sure what you mean by the single pattern? The .548/.548?

You may want to have slightly more lift/duration on the exhaust if you are running manifolds. My custom grind is 274/286 duration and 498/512. (360 magnum)
If nitrous is used its effects will be negated if you can’t get All the spent gases out, not to mention detonation

Last edited:
In fact, I got Bill on the phone the other day. I told him "Hi Bill, this is Rob Merritt" he says "Ken has your name written down as Joe" I said "That's cool, I answer to pretty much anything" He says "Ok asshole, what's goin on?" and laughed his *** off. Man I can deal with people like that. LOL

Bill IS a classic. Not sure how long he has worked for Kenny but it’s a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOG time.

Bill IS a classic. Not sure how long he has worked for Kenny but it’s a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOG time.

I'm plum proud to have found them. They know WTH they're doin and are very reasonable. I just got my new reground slant six cam in today. Gonna be a rowdy little thing. .465/.465 250@ .050" on a 108. I wanted low lift so I wouldn't have to spend a ton on springs and more machine work, plus, I needed a pretty late IVC event to keep cylinder pressure down. Pluggin everything in to both the Wallace and United Engine calculators, I get like 7.8 DCR. That should run on pump gas fine.

Agree with RRR that single pattern cam would be best if using headers.
The Isky Cams website list some Tech Tips. One of them is: Is extra exh duration really necessary' The answer might surprise some...

Agree with RRR that single pattern cam would be best if using headers.
The Isky Cams website list some Tech Tips. One of them is: Is extra exh duration really necessary' The answer might surprise some...

That website can be exhausting (pun intended) trying to find something. Can you post a link?

TIA

YR,
My computer skills are pretty poor, so sorry, I don't know how to do it. Maybe somebody else can? He also has other tech tips, all very interesting.

I'd be really careful about too much duration with that combo that you have, especially if you intend to drive it on the freeway in OD. You might want to go smaller on duration until you spend some time with that combination. Cruising down the freeway at 1800 rpm with your fuel blowing out the exhaust gets old pretty quick.

I'd be really careful about too much duration with that combo that you have, especially if you intend to drive it on the freeway in OD. You might want to go smaller on duration until you spend some time with that combination. Cruising down the freeway at 1800 rpm with your fuel blowing out the exhaust gets old pretty quick.
That would be a concern yes.

When you talked to the cam company did you tell them that you have a double OD transmission and that you want to drive in OD down the freeway? You are not going to be able to have a max power cam that also works in OD on the freeway. If you are going to drive in OD on the freeway then you need a cam designed to do that. The max power will end up lower than a cam designed for max power but that is just the way it is.

-
Back