roof rack mounts for kayak??

-

professor don

Reaction score
Has anyone ever found or MADE a roof rack or clamps etc such as to carry a kayak on the roof of an early A body? I like to drive my 64 dart everywhere and want to carry the boat on roof on trips. Please help! Don

If the '76 Aspen doesn't sell this weekend, l'm thinking of taking the roof rack and strips that mount to roof between the rails and putting it on my '63 Valiant wagon.

Several years ago " just about everybody" - Sears, J. C. Penny, Montgomery Ward, Western Auto, K-Mart etc, etc.... sold "clamp on" roof racks.

2 foam pool noodles and 2 ratchet straps. EL - CHEAP-O
That's what I have been doing- I was hoping to go "slick" - Problem is, the foam works its way loose while driving and I'paranoid to tighten the ratchet straps too much for fear of warping the roof.

If the '76 Aspen doesn't sell this weekend, l'm thinking of taking the roof rack and strips that mount to roof between the rails and putting it on my '63 Valiant wagon.

Several years ago " just about everybody" - Sears, J. C. Penny, Montgomery Ward, Western Auto, K-Mart etc, etc.... sold "clamp on" roof racks.
Dohave any model/part numbers?

I still have K-mart roof racks I used on my 1969 Dart. I had to fab aluminum channels to support the edges so they didn't cut into the vinyl top and filler above the drip rail. They came w/ just rubber coating on the steel ends, which was dumb. They also whistled loud, starting at 50 mph. For my canoe, I later found it better to use foam pads that slide over the gunwales. That kept the canoe from sliding around and better carried the load. But, kayaks don't have gunwales. The foam noodles sounds similar. Perhaps cut slots in them so they don't slide on the kayak. I assume you will load it upside down.

Two eskimos are kayaking when they start to get cold... So they take the wooden paddles and start a fire to warm up...
frowwn.gif

Eventually the fire burns a hole in the kayak and it sinks...
shock.gif

The moral of the story is you can't have your kayak and heat it too....
upload_2018-12-16_10-31-48.gif

Last edited:
I still have K-mart roof racks I used on my 1969 Dart. I had to fab aluminum channels to support the edges so they didn't cut into the vinyl top and filler above the drip rail. They came w/ just rubber coating on the steel ends, which was dumb. They also whistled loud, starting at 50 mph. For my canoe, I later found it better to use foam pads that slide over the gunwales. That kept the canoe from sliding around and better carried the load. But, kayaks don't have gunwales. The foam noodles sounds similar. Perhaps cut slots in them so they don't slide on the kayak. I assume you will load it upside down.
Thank you--do have any pics of you old set up? as you know the drip rails are not like modern cars...I'm open to fabricating something-I can cut and weld.

Has anyone ever found or MADE a roof rack or clamps etc such as to carry a kayak on the roof of an early A body? I like to drive my 64 dart everywhere and want to carry the boat on roof on trips. Please help! Don

All you need is a base kit for drip rails and a bar/rack system. Then you can put any attachment you want on it. Thule is the gold standard.

IF they don't offer a kit specific to your car, all you do is order base on drip rail to drip rail width.

you can search vintage roof rack on e-bay.....this will show you various designs out there, possible source/car brand where removed and accelerate your search. Also there are many universal roof rack available, only you know which is right for you...

Bought this from Dick's Sporting Goods for $30. Made up of two foam blocks and some straps. I have driven this set up all over at highway speeds with no problems.

20180707_132344.jpg

-
Back