Rookie in need of advice (Restoration work)

-
Does the "shed" have a concrete floor?
Hope so.
Then, don't scrimp on jack stands.
Buy good ones.
Like others, I roll a car in and out of my work space when doing the dirty part of the body work. The sanding and prep. That is good a "shade tree" part of the job. No point in getting dust stuff all over.
Then back under cover for the finish and paint.

concerning the wiring. years ago i was afraid of electrical. it intimidated me. then i got some books, learned more about electricity. basically, like said, a test light first, volt meter second. why? well. mainly an electrical problem is being sought after a loss of power. a test lite is faster and easier to see if there is or is not power. get a wiring diagram, follow each wire from its source of power to each connection and check power. you will find the problem.
as to which tools you may need? what a question. EVERYTHING!!! just kiddin'! it all depends on what you're doing. as a mechanic day in day out, i will buy whatever i need. you don't necessarily need to. sockets deep/shallow, 1/4" drive set(craftsman makes a nice little box set), wrenches(definitely get a short set, you WILL need them), screwdrivers.

take a look at your car. look at all the fasteners and decide what else you may need. if your doing a turn signal switch, you'll need a steering wheel puller(3 bolt type) and a service manual.

Sounds like I will be organizing my tools to see what I have and truly need to add. I'll be clearing out a space in the shed for the Dart this summer so I can change out the rusted fuel tank. While I'm down there I may do some little things like put a chrome rear end cover, paint my SS leaf springs, and other little details.

**** everytime i work on my car its outside,infront of the garage. every once in a while my dad will let my pull my car in to wrench on it,or theres actually enough run to pull the car in lol. usually i do fab work and what not in the garage though.tomorrow im gonna start buildin a battery rack fo my 5th ave

Patience, pictures, and more patience. Manuals are great but there's nothing like good pics to help re-assembly. One other thing I've learned is that cataloging and storing parts in ONE place is critical. Take time each day to bag and label small parts and always try to keep your parts in one place. After working a long day on the car (during disassembly) I would get lazy and pick up the parts later or just push them aside thinking I would label later. After body shop woes and other delays trying to re-assemble after more than two years has proved difficult. This being my first real restoration I'd have to say that keeping track of parts was my biggest challenge. Good luck and have fun.

Regarding dropping your gas tank...I did the same to my GTX about 25 years ago. If my memory serves correct, I needed a deep socket and extension to get onto the strap nuts.

By the way, when I was in college and started buying my first "permanent" tools and because I did not know where in the country I would end up for work, I decided to buy Craftsman tools. Sears stores are all over the country, the tools are quality, and they have a free replacement guarantee for hand tools. I have replaced a split socket, a hammer, and numerous worn out screwdrivers with no questions asked.

I joined the Craftsman Club. They send you a sales brochure every so often and they sometimes have very good deals. That is how I purchased my torque wrenches and a number of other tools. I have purchased some "once-in-a-blue-moon" tools from Harbor Freight (made in China), such as gear puller set, etc. because their tools are cheap.

Man, all this advice is great guys. I am really getting motivated to just get out there, build a plan, and get my Dart on the road.

3x 9/16", 3x 1/2", in sockets and wrenches for sure! They always disappear.

Like the guys say, basic handtools, a coupla hammers and a good piece of pipe for a breaker bar and you can disassemble almost everything.

As also stated, buy what you need when you need it. I always justify the cost of tools by the labour I'm saving (You do work for FREE right?)

Grant

-
Back