Rooster Comb Swap

-

DustyRoads

Reaction score
I have a 1967 904 trans with a good valve body, but it has the old single-prong neutral safety switch. I have a 1972 trans with a bad valve body, but it has the right rooster comb for a three-prong neutral safety switch. Can I swap the 72 comb onto the 67 valve body?

I think you can just swap the switches (I have) and not have to worry about the comb unless they look visably different.

The rooster comb was changed in 1969 when the single wire Neutral safety went from a single connector to a three terminal switch which include the backup light switch. The later 69 and newer valve body will work with either switch. However, the 68 and earlier valve body will ONLY work with the single wire. It will not operate the three terminal switch properly.

yes, you can swap the 72 comb onto the 67 VB. End goal is a good VB?

yes, you can swap the 72 comb onto the 67 VB. End goal is a good VB?

Exactly; thanks! And just to ask what may be an obvious question: After I put the 72 comb onto the 67 VB, can I put the modified VB into the 67 trans, install a 3-post switch, and have neutral safety and back-up lights at the trans?

you should be able to. The switches are both the screw in style.

Exactly; thanks! And just to ask what may be an obvious question: After I put the 72 comb onto the 67 VB, can I put the modified VB into the 67 trans, install a 3-post switch, and have neutral safety and back-up lights at the trans?
Yes you can.

-
Back