Rotor

-

nickmimi

Reaction score
Hi guys,

New to the forum and new to A bodies. Recently purchased a 67 Dodge Dart and started doing a tune up on the engine. I have run into a small problem. I can't get the rotor off and I am worried about breaking something, if I try to hard.

Any suggestions on how to remove a stuck rotor?

Thanks

Tap it lightly down then just even pressure with a flat screwdriver from the cam to the rotor itself, should come right off, oil the shaft also sounds like it is dry!

If it does break just replace it as long as you get the pieces it will not hurt anything inside of the distributor.

If it does break just replace it as long as you get the pieces it will not hurt anything inside of the distributor.
thanks for the suggestion, I had to break it after all. The rotor was not a 1 piece unit that I am used to. thanks again.

got a pic new one om me I am definitely interested thought they all were one piece back to the 30's on Mopar

tell us about it? I know VW had a rotor with a centrifugal limiter on it back in the day.
Volvo had a rev limiter built into their rotor, a channel between the center of the rotor and the tip, a small spring with a small steel ball pushing against the center post. as rpm's went up over a certain speed the ball would overcome the spring tension and break contact. the performance rotor was solid copper, no spring and ball.

Welcome aboard! yes they are 1 piece. be sure to press down anywhere around the top perimeter of the reluctor with your left thumb at the same time you are pulling the rotor straight up/off of the shaft with your other hand. You don't want the slotted cam plate under the 2 flat plates to come up off of the pins when replaceing the rotor.

Here is a photo of the rotor on the computer screen. The shaft spun on its own. After the tab broke off, I was able to pry a screwdriver in the gap and break a few pieces off and then I was able to pry the rest off gently.
20170904_140207.jpg

-
Back