Running 4:10 thoughts on a 5:13

-

Dustedu2

Reaction score
I am running 4:10 gear in 72 Duster, thinking of putting in a 5:13 for street/strip 422 stroker. What are your thoughts?

unless you have a VERY TALL rear tire...you will be SPINNING the hell out of that engine...

What rpm are you running through the traps? 5:13's are a great 1/8th mile gear or a small block that likes 8,000 rpm +.

My thoughts..My quick change gear ratio is to have spare rims and tires.I have 29 inch slicks with a 4.30 spool for the 1/4 and 26 inch MT drag radials for the 1/8.The 26,s will raise the gear radio with out any dissasembleing of the chunk.Works for me!:cheers:

I doubt it's a good idea. A 422 has tons of torque and generally won't rev high like a 340 so ultra low gears don't work well unless your running a 32" tall tire. JMHO

my 418 likes my 4.10 with 28 tall , i say 4.30 at most with a 28 tall, it pulls hard , i think you would be way over-gearing it, use the tork . dont use it up.... by over-gearing it ... my 2 cents

I ran 5.13s on my warmed over 340. They worked fine on the street if you don't go over 45 mph. On the highway I believe at 55 I was running close to 4000 rpm. I wouldn't go over 4.56 for limited highway driving. With the 5.13s I was in third gear at about 100 yards out. You need lots of motor to run those gears.

I wouldn't run 5.13's . But if you feel compelled I have a set that I'd be glad to sell you...

with a gear vendors over/under drive, 5.13's would be sweet!

have you ever felt a GV shift?

I'd cut the tunnel and use a 518 long before that banging thing was installed in my car! I know they are supposed to be great and all..........

I ran 5.13s on my warmed over 340. They worked fine on the street if you don't go over 45 mph. On the highway I believe at 55 I was running close to 4000 rpm. I wouldn't go over 4.56 for limited highway driving. With the 5.13s I was in third gear at about 100 yards out. You need lots of motor to run those gears.

What I said. Thanks for the support.

Do it. Then put more nitrous on it.

I have a complete 5.13 suregrip in an 8 3/4 center section. It was great at the strip, but I would not run it on the street. Still have it if you are interested.

5:13 a great street gear if you like driving at 30mph, but you can get away from that by putting lets say 40 inch high tires on the rear axle :)

Just out of curiosity, what transmission are you using and what is its first gear ratio?

Ya know you can get a low gear set which will change your first and second gears if you run a 727 but all in all I would run a different transmission but get hell here from those who are purists, so I'll shut up

Strokers do better with the lower numerically as a rule ours liked 4.30 you dont need high rpm with the stroker, they tent to run out of zip after 6000 , lower your shift rpm to 6000 , I think you will see a big improvement , 414 stroker 4.30 gears shifting at 6000

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78hKxboLPfA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78hKxboLPfA[/ame]

-
Back