Running a H Pipe,whats the advantage

-

NEWATTHIS

Reaction score
Hi everyone, can you tell me the advantage on running a H pipe on the exhaust system? A friend of my got a h pipe installed on his big block monte carlo, and he says he can notice the difference. I have a 74 dart sport with a 318 iam running the eddy 600 carb, eddy performance #2176 manifold with stock heads and a comp cam 477/480. I also run hedders with a 2 and 1 half inch exhaust with dynomax mufflers. If i got the muffler shop to install the h pipe would i gain any horsepower? or would it be a waste of time and $$$$$$$$$$$ this is a street car. Whats the reason for the h pipe, to even out the exhaust? any advice is greatful THANKS

i would like to see what everyone else thinks but i think it evens out pressure between both sides. i wouldnt think a h pipe would give to much more power but i would say a x pipe would. it evens out pressure and seems to almost suck the air out of the other side like a vacume. other people know more but that is how i understand it all.

It helps to increase low-end torque. The theory is that the alternating bursts of pressure can help to pull exhaust away from the engine. "X" pipes are even better.

It quiets the exh in addition to helping to even out the pulses in the headers side to side. But, the way to do it is to put it (or the X) in the right spot... Which in most cars is not possible. I dont you'd see a huge increase, but it might help noticably. The X is a better design, but again, they can only do so much that far back.

It helps to increase low-end torque. The theory is that the alternating bursts of pressure can help to pull exhaust away from the engine. "X" pipes are even better.

The other thing that the H-pipe will do is minimize the tendency of the exhaust to rap. (like most Chevrolets, not like the (c)rap you hear from overpowered audio systems in the next lane.)

Back in the day we would even run a 1' to 3' section of 4" bus pipe off our header collectors to crate cooling vacume chamber then chokes down to size of exhaust! I know, there was no technology then. I miss those days!

lol... close to the same idea. You guys built too many 2 strokes!! That's the problem... the Xs and Hs are so far back, the temps are way down so they really only help on the pulses part.

I have a TTI 3" X-pipe installed as close as possible to the collectors, which is just in front of or just behind the trans mount (I'm forgetting at the moment, but probably behind), on my race car with it ending at the rear housing with Dynomax Ultraflows.

I couldn't do same day back-to-back tests, but my records show that it helped reduce ET's, especially after leaning out the carb a couple of jet sizes and taking out the 60 lbs the system added from elsewhere in the car. It appears to have helped me a minimum of .05.

I have also gotten a lot of compliments on the sound from open header racers at the track. But I can still hear my noisey electric Holley fuel pump inside the car while at idle!

H-pipe may help but X pipe works better if you want to do the extra work to fit it in.

I switched out an H pipe to an X pipe. I noticed a big
difference in low end torque And it also made it a little
quieter.
I would advise anyone to install and X over an H pipe.

^^^ I agree... h-pipes are good but x-pipes are a lot better!!!! We put a 3 inch X-pipe system on our roadrunner and noticed a big difference in the low end!

Thanks you everyone for you much needed feed back and advice, i see that its the x pipe and not the h pipe is the way to go. I already am running hedders with dynomax mufflers, can the muffler shop weld in a x pipe like they can the h pipe, locomation has his behind his hedders he has a dart sport like mine . I dont want to put on a whole new exhaust system, can the x pipe be welded on my exhaust system the way it is? advice is allways grateful NEWATHIS

if it is a decent exhaust shop it shuldnt be to hard just chop some out and weld in some bent pipe to the x part

I just bought a set of headers from TTI saturday, and talked to "Sam" who is the engineer of the TTI headers. We talked about a exhaust system for my car also, and I decided to connect a three inch system to my new headers, and I popped the question about the "H" pipe and the "X" pipe. Sam said they both increase HP, - around 10hp for the "H" pipe, and 17-20 hp for the "X" pipe. ALSO, they both give you a deeper throatier sound...

-
Back