Running hot.. Can't figure out why.. Please help.

-

Mr_Sancho1324

Reaction score
Hi guys. So I'm running hot again. Everything was good until I replaced my carb. Here is my setup

Aluminum radiator
Distiller water with water wetter
Electric fan
160 thermostat
High performance water pump
Msd coil
1850s 4 barrel Holley carb with secondary vacuums with 65 jets

It's seems as if I'm running too lean. I purchased the larger jets and as thinking of re-jetting it with the 69 size jets.

I also checked my plugs and they are white so definitely running hot

My timing was just adjusted to 10 degrees.

Any suggestions?

Ps I live in Vegas and it's 100+ degrees and I'm running around 210...that's the highest.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also if anyone could tell me what the normal temp for a 318 is that would be great.

Check your spark plugs if there real white,with 65 jets your too lean.If all was good untill the carb change there is your answer.Temp could be 160 or 180 or 190 all depends on the stat.

210 isn't all that bad/ especially in 100* temps.

is the alumn rad big enough?

10* initial timing. whats the total?

try jettig up and see how it runs.

and also grab the latest mopar action. supposed to have a decent article on cooling systems in it.

Ok so I put the 69 size jets in and it's running a little over 190. So I'll give this a few days and see how it goes. Thanks guys!

my car runs about 195 with one electric fan and 180 tstat. that is here in az with 100degree nights and 110 during the day. there are times when im pushing the car that i might see 210 but ill turn on the other electric fan and im all good. i have a 26" griffin rad

When is it overheating? Idle? During cruise? Got a vacuum leak someplace?

Tell us about this high performance water pump. The "heavy duty" pumps that a lot of auto parts joints sell actually cool less well (have fewer blades) than a standard pump! This is because there were different pulleys (and thus different pump rpms) based on which accessories you had.

How many CFM is this electric fan?

Got a pic of your water pump pulley?

Hi guys. Thanks for all the help so far.

Just as a quick update.

I've checked my plugs after runningthe 69 jets and they are a light brownish color. I've been told this is good so i don't think I need to go with bigger jets. However, today it as only in the low 90s maybe high 80s and I was still running at 190. Which is not bad but with a 2100 cfm electric fan and the mechanical flex fan I think it should be cooler. I could be wrong but from what I hear from other people that's not normal. I don't have any vacuum leaks and I believe the timing is 10 degrees btdc. I'm not quite sure what exactly I should have th timing set too so I just based it on what autozone told me. If anyone can tell me how exactly to find out the timing specs I would really appreciate it.

The water pump is a flowkooler high performance 16 fin pump that I got from summit racing.

I'll post a pic of the pulley later.

I'm not sure what exactly is the cause but I'm running out of ideas. If you guys know of anything else that could cause this please let me know. Like I said before, I was running at the highest 190 in 110 degree weather before and now with this carb it's not doing as good.

One other thing I noticed. My tranny doesn't seem to kick down as soon with this new carb. Could that be a cause?

190* is not to high in the heat. You might check the radiator cap to be sure it's doin it's job. Running the manual fan with the electric seems overkill & may be causing air restriction.
Readjust the kickdown! Get it setup right or you'll be in for a rebuild sooner than later.

Hi guys. Thanks for all the help so far.

Just as a quick update.

I've checked my plugs after runningthe 69 jets and they are a light brownish color. I've been told this is good so i don't think I need to go with bigger jets. However, today it as only in the low 90s maybe high 80s and I was still running at 190. Which is not bad but with a 2100 cfm electric fan and the mechanical flex fan I think it should be cooler. I could be wrong but from what I hear from other people that's not normal. I don't have any vacuum leaks and I believe the timing is 10 degrees btdc. I'm not quite sure what exactly I should have th timing set too so I just based it on what autozone told me. If anyone can tell me how exactly to find out the timing specs I would really appreciate it.

The water pump is a flowkooler high performance 16 fin pump that I got from summit racing.

I'll post a pic of the pulley later.

I'm not sure what exactly is the cause but I'm running out of ideas. If you guys know of anything else that could cause this please let me know. Like I said before, I was running at the highest 190 in 110 degree weather before and now with this carb it's not doing as good.

One other thing I noticed. My tranny doesn't seem to kick down as soon with this new carb. Could that be a cause?

Thanks Warwagons. One more question. Could the freeze plugs have anything to do with this? and would they be hard to replace?

Thanks Warwagons. One more question. Could the freeze plugs have anything to do with this? and would they be hard to replace?

No but if the coolant is old & crusty you may benefit by flushing out the entire cooling sytem. As for replacement, it is very easy to do with the engine out of the car. Are the plugs leaking?

I'm not leaking any coolant and I don't have the equipment to remove the engine.

I do have a confession though. ... My 318 is in a 56 ford f100 pickup.

With that said, maybe it wouldn't hurt to remove a plug and check for debris?

In my opinion,running 190 in 110 degree weather would be running pretty dam good.Whats it run at in 70 degree weather?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you think it needs cleaning, just flush the radiator & block. Also, there are drain plugs on each side of the block if you want to peek inside.

1956 Ford..... glad to hear you found a way to make it run good :toothy10:
Those are cool trucks though.

I'm not leaking any coolant and I don't have the equipment to remove the engine.

I do have a confession though. ... My 318 is in a 56 ford f100 pickup.

With that said, maybe it wouldn't hurt to remove a plug and check for debris?

In my opinion,running 190 in 110 degree weather would be running pretty dam good.Whats it run at in 70 degree weather?

Well it used to run 190 in 110 degree weather but now its only 90s and its running 190+. Back in may when it was high 70s it was running 170+.

Maybe Im just overreacting but this is my first mopar and I want to make sure it lasts me a long time.

Lately my truck reminds me of Christine.... except shes not a red head :-D

I found removing the T-Stat drops the temps a little more. I know, they say the coolant runs though too fast and maybe your type of rad matters but its just a $2 gasket to remove it and see what happens. My motor runs around 170 to 190 in the summer--with no T-stat. I gotta be getting one soon up here for the cool fall weather.

Ok here's the update.

I've jetted up to size 71 jets and now it seems I'm running right. But my temp is still a little over 190. Again i have a 160'thermostat in it now and a semi new water pump that's producing good flow.

I'm not too sure if the timing is correct though. Does anyone know where I can find the engine codes so I can get the specs for it?

man your on the money,as far as timing every engine is different,your cam will dictate this.Seams I was right about your jetting,lean will give a nice throttle response but will heat up a tad.keep an eye on your plugs now and jet down 2 sizes if runs too rich.Your temps are fine heat is horse power.I once had a BB 396 Canadian Beaumont that ran around 210 never worried me.

-
Back