Running LS Connecting Rods

-

JedIEG

Reaction score
Most stroker cranks have a SBC 2.100 rod journal option and I have seen plenty of articles about using SBC rods and pins in a mopar, but nothing about running an LS rod. I think they have the same rod journal and pin size as a SBC. Has anyone done that?

Im looking at a nice set of new LS k1 rods for sale for pennies on the dollar to run with a stroker crank.

They're shorter (6.098 vs 6.123).
Which would take compression away unless you take another .030 off the decks (and then mill the heads or intake to match) or get taller pistons, which likely isn't an off-the-shelf solution.

Factor in the cost of a full set of custom pistons, and if it still saves money.....?
They are custom rods. If the application works, they work.

Custom rods = Custom length ! Make then what ever you want. Till they hit the oil ring.

Ooooo LS rods. Good for 50 horse according to the Chevy guys! :lol:

The few places I have found info on LS says the have centered pins where the SBC rods are offset. I didn't think mopar rods were offset so maybe LS actually fits better?

The rods are 6.390 c-c so that makes the piston nice and short but shouldn't be so short it gets into the ring land. I am going to look at giving Autotec pistons a try. They advertise around $550 for a custom set which is not much more than a shelf piston.

I asked ICON if they could machine a set of LS shelf pistons for mopar valves that came in at the right bore and CD I wanted but they would not.

Hell go the whole way and run Honda sized rods. I sold my damaged 408 crank to a guy in Australia or somewhere and he just cut it down.

The few places I have found info on LS says the have centered pins where the SBC rods are offset. I didn't think mopar rods were offset so maybe LS actually fits better?

The rods are 6.390 c-c so that makes the piston nice and short but shouldn't be so short it gets into the ring land. I am going to look at giving Autotec pistons a try. They advertise around $550 for a custom set which is not much more than a shelf piston.

I asked ICON if they could machine a set of LS shelf pistons for mopar valves that came in at the right bore and CD I wanted but they would not.

Call Diamond.

So no one has experience running rods designed for an LS vs SBC?

There Norma part of the “Kit” you would purchase for crank strokes that are plus 4.00. Some of the “Kits” that are a 4.0 stroke will contain “Readjusted” con rods. Not so much a actual Chevy LS rod.

-
Back