Rust Encapsulator

-

JoeSBP

RLTW!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
requesting advice from the brain trust..

I have two large hazmat containers that required the floor be cut out/replaced due to heavy rust.
Looking for advice on what to prep/prime/top coat the new floor with. There is no doubt rust still present, so looking for something that seals it up, simple to apply, and will hold up against POL. There is a raised grate the drums go on, so no traffic on the coating..what have y'all used and what should I avoid?

I use POR -15 for everything- I don't quite get your use and what the metal you are coating will be exposed to. So maybe read their literature and see what it is resistant to if that is an issue. It is best I have found for sealing rust permanently. Working on rust midwest rust buckets since '67. fwiw
POR-15 Stop Rust Permanently

POR-15 is what I had planned on using actually. Basically container will store 55gal drums of used oil/hydraulic fluid, contaminated fuel, etc. It's required as secondary containment in the event a drum leaks.

Hammerite paints are as effective as anything I've used.
Corroless is good but you'll have to figure out a way to import it to North America. Then top coat it with an epoxy, Por-15 or other compatible paint.
Eastwood used to carry it and then started selling what they called Rust Encapsulator claiming it was the same. It's not. Not even close. Junk.

Secondary containment for drum storage area.
Sandblast and then a 2k spray in bedliner.

you don't want to use POR-15 over another coating - it needs to react with rust or prepped bare metal.

the entire floor was cut out and replaced with bare sheet

What about that rust encapsulater platinum-eastwood is advertising

De-grease new metal first. Then use their metal prep that treats the new bare metal part before applying POR-15.

"WHAT IS THE 'PROPER PREPARATION'?
We make a product called 'Metal-Ready'. It's a rust remover that leaves a zinc phosphate coating on base metal, the perfect preprimer for POR-15. NOTE: New steel is coated with a protective oil finish at the mill. This finish must be removed before using POR-15 or Metal-Ready. Clean metal first with POR-15 Marine-Clean, then rinse with water and dry."

The drippings of turbine oil and JP8 won’t seal it up?

What did they store In there previously that caused so much coorosion?

Is it reasonable to fabricate the floor from aluminum sheet instead of steel?

For secondary containment, we use large plastic drums with wheels and set the barrels inside. Better than a floor pan to catch a leaking drum because it will contain more than 55gallons. instead of spilling it all out of the haz locker into your workspace.

Before Metal Ready, BEFORE Por-15, AND AFTER grinding, wire-wheeling, sanding, wiping down with alcohol or cleaner-
Apply OSPHO. As directed, after wait time, wipe clean (I use isopropyl alocohol and or paint thinner) THEN METAL READY. Maybe Etching Primer (and sanded and wiped clean)
Then Por-15 or 2K Epoxy Primer (Por-15 can be applied over Epoxy primer!!).

-
Back