Rust under battery tray

-

KevinB

Reaction score
Hey guys when I pulled my battery and tray out to prep for the engine swap I noticed a couple of ping pong ball sized holed under the battery tray. I can't seem to find a repo panel anywhere.

I'm gonna be relocating my battery eventually anyway, but have any of you repaired that spot before? It's a fairly weird shape with some angular bends and a curved bend. Thanks

Here's a couple of pics of the area. Since I'm relocating the battery I'm not too concerned with having the new piece be a perfect match….I'm even thinking about replacing it with just a bent piece of sheet metal. I was hoping to see if anyone else has had this problem and if so what did you do to fix it. thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1888.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_1889.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 241
Myself, I would cut it out, make and weld in a patch. Especially since you are relocating the battery.

Looks like some sand blasting is in order! Then cut out the rust and replace the sheet metal.
Some square flat patches will do the trick or as stated someone could cut out the piece you need from a parts car. You may get by with wire brushing the area as clean as possible weld in some patches then coat with POR 15

Looks like some sand blasting is in order! Then cut out the rust and replace the sheet metal.
Some square flat patches will do the trick or as stated someone could cut out the piece you need from a parts car. You may get by with wire brushing the area as clean as possible weld in some patches then coat with POR 15

Ha I wish I could sandblast it! My wife and neighbors would kill me. I'll be wire brushing the entire engine bay and underside of the car to prep it for POR/paint

Cutting out some patches was my original idea, but was hoping to see some work don by others too

Wherever you put the new battery, put a Battery Mat (ebay) under it to neutralize any acid overflows. Unless you buy a gel battery like Optima or Autozone's brand.

I made a pattern out of water color paper, then transferred that to some sheet metal stock. I put a piece of pipe in the vice to bend the contour after I cut the metal to shape. Try to use a pipe with the same diameter as the radius you need for your bend. After that, tack it and weld it. A little filler blends it right in. My battery is going right back here, so I'll have to hole punch it for the bolt, plus my work will be forever hidden beneath the battery. I didn't bother finishing the back side because it's in a non-visible area and will be covered with undercoating anyway.

Attachments

• battery tray mount repair.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 189
  • back side of repair.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 202
  • inner fender repair 1.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 181
  • inner fender repair 2.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 179
I made a pattern out of water color paper, then transferred that to some sheet metal stock. I put a piece of pipe in the vice to bend the contour after I cut the metal to shape. Try to use a pipe with the same diameter as the radius you need for your bend. After that, tack it and weld it. A little filler blends it right in. My battery is going right back here, so I'll have to hole punch it for the bolt, plus my work will be forever hidden beneath the battery. I didn't bother finishing the back side because it's in a non-visible area and will be covered with undercoating anyway.

well done!

There ya go.

good job!! that's wasn't so hard, was it! the amount of satisfaction of YOU accomplishing that job is way bigger than the task!????

-
Back