?'s those who had 9" drums and went disk

-

tensec340

The LEGEND
Reaction score
Got the wilwood disk brake front set up for my 9" drum 69 Dart.(staying non- power)
What else do I need ? master? lines? port valv? anything else?
Also if you can remember part #'s you used?

THANKS

Me again. When i swapped out to disks I used factory parts from a 73 BBP dart. Depending on what type of prop valve you have you may have to change it out, I didnt. You'll need a different flexible line I would think, but I have never used the wilwood kits. You'll definitely need a master with the larger resevoir. You can get these at any parts store for about 30 bucks. Here is a pic of the one I got at Advance Auto.

Mike

100_0406.jpg

I changed factory 9X3 drums to factory discs and did need fluid lines to the calipers but nothing else. Original master cylinder and perportion valve worked fine for many years.

A drum brake car does not use a proportioning valve. The metal block on the frame is a distribution block and a place for the brake system failure light switch, it does nothing in regards to proportioning the fluid pressure between the front and the back. Also, the factory drum brake MC does not contain enough fluid to allow for full wear of the pads without going dry, this is the reason that the disk brake MC has a larger reservoir for the disks.

When I did the swap to the 73+ disks I used a factory non power MC and the factory proportioning valve from the doner car. I also swapped in an 8.25" which gave me 10x2.5" rear drums (was going from 9" drums on all four corners). I replaced all the steel lines and rubber lines when I did my swap so everything was new in the braking system when I was done.

You will need SS flex lines and fittings to hook up the calipers to the steel lines. I ordered a Wilwood kit from Summitt to hook them up. If you need me to I will get you the part number for the correct kit. It would be best to change the master cylinder to later model with the large resevoir. I replaced my stock one for drum brakes with a cylinder for a non power disc brake model that was correct for the 68 model year. It still had equal size reseviors. It really didn't work well for me. I even installed a proportioning in the rear brake line to put more pressure on the front brakes. I ended up getting a later model master cylinder of the stepped design (which has the large plastic tank) and changed the distribution block to a 73 model. This block does have the built proportioning valve for the rear. I think your current lines should hook right up to your new master cylinder. Mine did! If they don't you can buy adapters at NAPA. Sorry this is so long winded but I don't want you fight it like I did. Please PM me with questions. Jeff

The flexable brake line kit from Summitt is $59.99 part number Wilwood 220-7699 . The master cylinder was bought on ebay from Rick Rehrenberg. He goes by rehrenberg. He has lots of NOS parts. It cost $83. If you find the correct one at the parts store for nonpower brakes, buy it. It should be less money than this one. From my experience you will find only power brake master cylinders with the larger front brake resivour. Hope this helps. Jeff

Thanks for the feedback BTW.
I'm installing a 140-11022 front Wilwood kit on my 67 Barracuda that had 9 inch drums
The 220-7699 are the 16 inch braided flex lines.
Did you put them on a 69 dart?
How did you know what size to use?
Are they perfect length, a little tight or a little long?
Did you use this kit and did you use 14 inch SS rims?

220-7699

-
Back