s6 to V-8 do I need to change torsion bars

-
Ride height will change the amount of time you spend on the bumpstops. The rest comes down to what you're used to/willing to put up with as a driver.

All A-bodies with /6 bars will feel like you're driving the Queen Mary. That's just what a 100 lb/in spring rate bar on the front of a 3,000-3,500 lb car feels like. If you're ok with that :dontknow:. I mean, I don't even like how they ride with the stock V8 bars, they're only 120 lb/in. Although it might not sound like much, that still amounts to a 20% increase in rate over the /6 bars.

But I also thought the Just Suspension 1" bars were too soft too, and they're close to a 200% increase in rate. Some of that is just driver preference, some of it is how the car actually gets used, both of which are pretty subjective. And the rest of the car's set up matters too- shocks, sway bars, and the choice/size of the tires make a huge difference.
All this is RIGHT ON

you guys are great, couldn't have dreamed for that many different points of view when I initially posted the question. that what makes computers and fellow mopar lovers great. thanks

based on the picture of your jacked up duster, I am going to figure you have no real concept of a "good" handling car......and just leave it at that.

did I say it handled good ? no I didn't , its a 42 year old car , with factory parts . the question was about the torsion bars. it doesn't handle any better or any worse than the factory design. and it is not all "jacked up". don't get all mad because you don't like what I have to say. apparently you don't have any concept of experiencing it first hand.

I can't speak for the 74 model, but the 73 /6 uses the same bar as the 318 w/o A/C. (source: 73 Dodge Parts Manual) That tends to validate the assertion that the weight difference between the 318 and 225 is not that much.

thank you for that

Well all I know is apparently the way I drive, brand new poly bushings, new shocks and new 15" tires didn't cut it.
The 103 bars do.

did I say it handled good ? no I didn't , its a 42 year old car , with factory parts . the question was about the torsion bars. it doesn't handle any better or any worse than the factory design. and it is not all "jacked up". don't get all mad because you don't like what I have to say. apparently you don't have any concept of experiencing it first hand.

thank you for that

your the one claiming you drove everywhere with no issues.........and I don't think you want to get into a pissing contest with me on mopar handling.......

Im getting ready to drop a 1963 big block in my 70 swinger what size torsion bars do you all recommend originally its a /6

That really depends on you and your driving-experience goals. If youre following this thread, you can see opinions running rampant.
Ill tell you this; Ma had four A-body T-bars to choose from; .83, .85, .87,and .89 You can guess which ones go where.(TB;the 890s are .85).I could make a suggestion, but dare not, lest someone pounces on me.Keep your ear to the ground.Maybe someone with bigger bars than me might recommend something.103srule

your the one claiming you drove everywhere with no issues.........and I don't think you want to get into a pissing contest with me on mopar handling.......
Yes I did , no issues , 2 winters and 2 summers . I never said it handled like a lamborgini
AS to long tube headers scraping the ground, on your Duster, riding sky high, I think you could take the tires off the rims and they would still have clearance!

Jumping on the band wagon I see. That's just one adjustment out many you see in the picture. I have detailed pictures but I'm not going to waste my time

I am currently working on a 74 duster and planning to swap s6 for 360 C.I. I thought I read somewhere that I had to replace or upgrade my torsion bars for larger diameter ones. I am not sure what to do.
any suggestions? are there any aftermarket sources for these?

thanks

do you have to? NO. but putting bigger bars in will make it a lot more enjoyable on the street.. pure drag car then leave the 6cyl bars in it.

Im getting ready to drop a 1963 big block in my 70 swinger what size torsion bars do you all recommend originally its a /6

street car or drag car?

if drag car or a street car that you want every last 10th of a second out then leave the slantty bars in it.. if more of a street car then i would go .920 at the very minimum.

-
Back