Saginaw Power Steering Pump Conversion problems.... AGAIN!

-
Okay, so if I understand you correctly, then I know that is not quite true. On another topic I posted my setup - here it is again:

1. 72 340
2. converted to pwr from mnl
3. sag pmp from a late 80s Dip
4. Mounting brackets from same Dip
5. pwr steering gear from 71 dart
6. hose ? can't remember, but I had to rebend it a bit.
... the pressure hose that will work with above setup can be gotten from

http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/BPEPowerSteering.asp

... but in my case the feed to the pump is the wrong connection type. I have the hose and it matches perfectly, but I never got around to seeing if I could have the fitting changed.

I just found that website yesterday, and shot them an E-mail....

By my guesstimation, it looks like some sort of fitting could work, but it's nothing that I have or can find at the moment...

UPDATE:

I'm in contact with Bouchillion Performance..... He's saying if it is a 1980 or newer pump, he can't make me a line.. But if it's older than 1980, he could... I pulled mine out of a junked Dodge truck..I have no idea what year it is. I thought late 70's early 80's... how would I know what year pump it is? He's asking me if the line is 3/8" inverted flare fitting... Is that the same thing as a double flare? I know the line that was on the truck had a flare fitting, and not an O-ring...

once again, any help is appreciated!

UPDATE:

I'm in contact with Bouchillion Performance..... He's saying if it is a 1980 or newer pump, he can't make me a line.. But if it's older than 1980, he could... I pulled mine out of a junked Dodge truck..I have no idea what year it is. I thought late 70's early 80's... how would I know what year pump it is? He's asking me if the line is 3/8" inverted flare fitting... Is that the same thing as a double flare? I know the line that was on the truck had a flare fitting, and not an O-ring...

Send him a picture (digital) of the piece of fitting that you currently have sticking into the pump. He'll tell you from that.

UPDATE:

Yes you have an inverted flare fitting. 3/8" is for O.D. od line, and the fitting size is usually a 5/8" or 11/16" wrench size. Some of the application specific part #'s in the Edelmann hose catalog show o-ring fitting for early 70's cars, which is totally wrong. The other end of the hose is 1/4" or 5/16" SAE.

Yes you have an inverted flare fitting. 3/8" is for O.D. od line, and the fitting size is usually a 5/8" or 11/16" wrench size. Some of the application specific part #'s in the Edelmann hose catalog show o-ring fitting for early 70's cars, which is totally wrong. The other end of the hose is 1/4" or 5/16" SAE.

AWESOME! You guys are life savers! Thanks for the help. Hopefully if this company is able to help me out, we can get some help for other members that are facing the same problem I have....

UPDATE:

It's been 6 days and Bouchillon hasn't responded back. It seemed like there was good communication, so I'm not sure why they stopped writing me? Maybe they know my car is hopeless :D...

So, once again, I'm asking for some suggestions :D

UPDATE:

It's been 6 days and Bouchillon hasn't responded back. It seemed like there was good communication, so I'm not sure why they stopped writing me? Maybe they know my car is hopeless :D...

So, once again, I'm asking for some suggestions :D

Write? ... I'd call them and ask what's up. They do offer a line that works, as I said, but the pump fitting is the wrong one for a newer pump, which means, I guess, that the alternative is to use an old Sag pump. So as I see it:
1) line fitting must change;
2) pump must change;
3) use diff line and bend (carefully carefully);
4) custom line (already tried and failed it seems);
5) use a Federal pump.

I don't see any other alternatives.

Write? ... I'd call them and ask what's up. They do offer a line that works, as I said, but the pump fitting is the wrong one for a newer pump, which means, I guess, that the alternative is to use an old Sag pump. So as I see it:
1) line fitting must change;
2) pump must change;
3) use diff line and bend (carefully carefully);
4) custom line (already tried and failed it seems);
5) use a Federal pump.

I don't see any other alternatives.

1) line fitting must change; This is what I was in contact with them for. Jegs doesn't seem to cary the fitting, However I don't really know what it is called....

3) use diff line and bend (carefully carefully); Could do that, though i'm not very proficient in bending... Would you heat it up then bend by hand? My tube bender doesn't bend it tight enough....

5) use a Federal pump. I still have the Federal pump from the slant six... would just need brackets... Not sure how easy those would be to find?

I thought of one more alternative - one that I think you were originally exploring, perhaps? ... might be able to use the pump end fitting you have with the Bouchillon line if you cut them both clean, appropriately(don't know what kind would be best) flare them and use an appropriate fitting to connect them. I don't really like the sound of that though, so I can't say I'd recommend it. Then again, if you are able to appropriately flare them, then maybe you could cut the end off the Bouchillon line and re-flare it yourself? Or get it done?

About bending ... first off, I can't recommend this either, because you could ruin the line. But what I did was to get as good a fitting line as I could and then heat-bend-heat-bend-etc until it fit. There are no very tight bends on mine. I don't remember what hose I originally bought to bend ... could have been a '75 Dart or an '85 Dip ... just don't remember.

5) use a Federal pump. I still have the Federal pump from the slant six... would just need brackets... Not sure how easy those would be to find?

i think this is your best bet. put want ads on all mopar sites. search ebay, craigs list and mopar for sale sites. any 70-72 v-8 abody will have what you need.

Looks like I am getting the brackets to the Federal pump... Question: I'm sure the V8 federal pump had a smaller pulley, but can I get away with using this bigger one for a while?

HI i spent last weekend at the mopar nationals in columbus. Now i know what its like in heaven. Anyway i looked at a whole lot of pre 73 a bodys and to my surprise a lot of them had saginaw pums with shoehorned hoses hooked up. some were stock 90 degree tubing bent to fit in. Some outhers looked like they were cut of and re flared.looks like it can be done.

HI i spent last weekend at the mopar nationals in columbus. Now i know what its like in heaven. Anyway i looked at a whole lot of pre 73 a bodys and to my surprise a lot of them had saginaw pums with shoehorned hoses hooked up. some were stock 90 degree tubing bent to fit in. Some outhers looked like they were cut of and re flared.looks like it can be done.

Very cool.... Yeah, we'll see how the brackets for the Federal go.... Probably just should have tried bending some tubing, but I have gotten so frustrated lately!

get any pictures?

I wasent smart enough to get pitchers of the pumps but i got a few car pitchers. not as many as i should have.I lucked out and a freind had an empty spot under a tent so i jumpted on that.

Copy (2) of P1000421 (Medium).JPG

-
Back