Saginaw PS Pump on 70-72 A-Body

-

72Dinger

Reaction score
Hi All. New poster although I've been lurking for a while now and absorbing a lot of great info.

I have a 72 Swinger 318 that appears all original. The Federal PS pump took a crap and after I sorta finished it off trying to rebuild it I decided I'd fit the car up with a Saginaw I pulled off an 87 Chrysler 318. I got all brackets with the pump.

The issue I'm running into is that when mounted the pump is slung so low that the pressure hose collides with the motor mount (I have kmember w/ biscuit style mounts). The pressure port is so close that you can't turn a 90 with steel tubing quickly enough to avoid the mount. As a result I can't get enough adjustment travel to install and properly tension the belt.

I realize now why Chrysler went with the Federal pumps originally. Seems like a conventional problem (but not too well-documented) and I've read a handful of forum posts regarding it. I'm stubborn and cheap and there also appears to be a shortage of Federal pumps available so I'd like to make the Saginaw work.

Borgeson appears to make a bracket that will raise the Saginaw pump up enough to clear the motor mount:
Mopar 318/340/360 Saginaw P/S Pump Bracket
It was used in a street muscle 71 Dart build. I'd assume they would have the same clearance issue but it never gets mentioned in the article:
Complete Classic Mopar Steering Upgrade From Borgeson

Has anybody used these brackets and have any feedback? Any other ideas or solutions? I've looked into specialty hose fittings / banjo fittings but not sure I want to go that route yet.

20190805_194119.jpg

the the pressure hose for the saginaw pump has a different bend where it attaches to the pump. i believe thats your issue. go to autozone website plug in your cars info and it will give you a choice of 2 hoses. one for the saginaw and one for the federal style pump

The hose I installed is what advance auto and rock auto both list for a 72 Dodge Dart 318 equipped with Saginaw pump.

I had to flare and bend a small length of metal tube to clear the mount when I did Federal-to-Saginaw conversion on my '70 Duster, however there is a member here @GMachineDartGT (Bergman Auto Craft) who sells a special low-profile fitting and hose kit for this specific conversion, I would hit him up. I got lucky with my homemade line but it's still barely 1/4" away from the mount.

everything else is ok? the belt lines up ok? here are some pics that might help
Timing Marks 360

the pulley lines up perfectly with the crank (and clutch fan) - the pump and brackets mount like they are supposed to on any LA block, its just there is no clearance to this particular year k-member

there is a member here @GMachineDartGT (Bergman Auto Craft) who sells a special low-profile fitting and hose kit for this specific conversion

thanks for the tip.

I made up a cardboard template based on some pics of the borgeson bracket. After test fitting it doesn't appear the borgeson bracket changes the positioning of the pump, it just simplifies the bracket assembly.

federal pumps were born crap. I liked their design so much, tho, that I desperately tried to make it work. In the end it was a waste of time.
Saginaws Rule!
When I switched, I ran into the same hose fitment problem. The boys down at the jobber I do business at, graciously allowed me to peruse their hosewall, and in a couple of minutes I had a perfect fit. Unfortunately, I did not make note of what it was off.

the pulley lines up perfectly with the crank (and clutch fan) - the pump and brackets mount like they are supposed to on any LA block, its just there is no clearance to this particular year k-member

thanks for the tip.

I made up a cardboard template based on some pics of the borgeson bracket. After test fitting it doesn't appear the borgeson bracket changes the positioning of the pump, it just simplifies the bracket assembly.
Was this with the GM style press on pulley?

CVFRacing makes a bracket set for about $100 that raises the pump up so you can use the regular hose. Lines up great.

-
Back