Timing Marks 360

-

SLC Duster Dude

Reaction score
I picked up my Duster a month or so ago and it runs great now that I got the throttle linkage sorted out, but when I hooked up my timing light to check things I can not find a way to see the timing marks on the crank because the power steering pump is completely blocking the view. I can't imagine having to remove the power steering pump every time I want to check the timing...but is that the procedure? This is a 360 car.

IMG_0590.JPG

just time it by ear,most of the time it works fine.Advance till it its hard to start ,back it off,then stop on her if it pings back 2 degrees off till it goes away.or tear it apart and put a different cover on it.

You might try a mirror placed in the right location to angle the timing light's illumination and your vision into the area. Or mount a reference mark on a mteal tab under a timing cover or water pump bolt, over on the other side where it can bee seen, and put new marks on the damper ring. (You can verify the marks' accuracy at the same time.) A timing tape on the damper ring would be useful if you do that.

Someone has modified the mount, likely to fit a Saginaw pump in there. I had a hard time getting hoses to fit mine in the stock position. It should be mounted lower and to the right so you could see the marks.

that is not where the pump should mount.
stop at 29 seconds in the video you will see what it should look like.

Well, that explains a lot. I need to see if the brackets I have on it will fit the way it should, or I'll be shopping around for them. Thanks 318willrun.

Another option is to just make new marks somewhere,anywhere, that you can read with the timing lite. Check the passenger side. All you need is to see a bit of the balancer and a bit of anything adjacent and stationary to it, and you are in business.The #1 piston will need to be at true TDC when you make your new PERMANENT marks.
And you will need a dial-back timing lite, to read actual deviation from TDC.
Alternatively, you can buy and install a stick-onto-the-balancer, timing tape, and again synchronize it to your new mark.

BTW
Your CTS is sitting in a pocket away from the hot water. It may not be accurate there. I have seen them read as much as 15*F lower there than the actual temp of the water.If You have already figured that out with an IR gun, excellent! Oh wait, this is not an A/C car with a hot-water shut-off. Nevermind,lol.

Last edited:
So after searching the interweb for pics of how it's supposed to be, I've determined I have the correct brackets, but where they are supposed to bolt up I can't tell. Does anyone have a pic they can share here that shows how it SHOULD be?

there is nothing right about that pulley set up. looks like a pieced together mess..

here is how a 70 up abody with a small block no a/c is supposed to be..

dartparts038.jpg

dartparts037.jpg

DSC02501.jpg

DSC02500.jpg

DSC02499.jpg

DSC02498.jpg

DSC02497.jpg

DSC02496.jpg

DSC02495.jpg

try this:
eBay item number:
this tab will move your marks on the passenger side like it was on all small-blocks from 64-69 for use with the cast-iron water pumps. if the marks on the damper are not aligned at tdc with this , you will need to buy a timing tape to use on the damper.

If the pulleys line up and the belts stay on and everything works the way it is supposed to, I myself,would just leave it, and re-index.
IMO, if you don't have a donor-car to steal off, you can end up tearing your hair out trying to make it "right"
In 1 hour or so, you can be reindexed and mapping your timing curve.

If the pulleys line up and the belts stay on and everything works the way it is supposed to, I myself,would just leave it, and re-index.
IMO, if you don't have a donor-car to steal off, you can end up tearing your hair out trying to make it "right"
In 1 hour or so, you can be reindexed and mapping your timing curve.

I actually spent 2 hours today tearing it apart and then putting it back the way it was...of course with the obligatory water leak that needed to be fixed. I'll be re-indexing it.

I actually spent 2 hours today tearing it apart and then putting it back the way it was...of course with the obligatory water leak that needed to be fixed. I'll be re-indexing it.
I have a passenger timing tab you can have, PM me your address and ill send it your way.

Jake

-
Back