Salvage Yard visit, (2) Magnum V10. 8Litre

-
Great idea, i read a post the max lift on core was .478 lift . Did see aftermarket at .528
Unless ported, I think the .528 is too much for stock heads
Right now Im Looking for for forged pistons, oversize. Will need them on nitrous or turbo

Last edited:
Just read up on the crank it has 3 in mains
I read that 2.5 mains would only support 500 hp with a nodular iron crank, 3 Inch mains up to 650 hp

Maybe I can grind the flanges loose , the flange holes welded shut, drill new holes. Reorient the flange, better yet order the headers without the flange welded on, or fabricate my own
Check out derby headers DEC Headers . A place online makes them pretty cheap and they can probably make a V10 version

Torque monsters they certainly are.
I used to pull a 32' 5th wheel behind by old Dodge Ram with a V-10/auto. Going to Famoso over the Grapevine in SoCal I'd just get to the max. torque RPM and keep it there all the way to the top. Pulled the 5th without a problem.
Going down the other side I'd drop down to 3rd gear and let the the engine braking keep the speed down all the way down to the bottom while other truck/trailer combos were riding their brakes.
A buddy of mine was towing behind me one trip and when we stopped he told me my brake lights weren't working going down the hill. He was amazed when I told him I never touched the brakes.

One of these would be cool to have in a truck and I do see them swapped into older pickups once in a while on FB groups. I wouldn't try to put one in a car though it's like a Cummins, very long and very heavy plus the intake manifold is pretty tall iirc. It 'can' be done but making it fit in a car especially an A-body sounds pretty tough.

Ive had a classC Rv on a Ram 3500 C&C since 2003. Really love the engine, no problems so far, less than 60k miles. The cummins guys are interesting. Found a guy advertising an engine he’d pulled from a truck he was swapping in a diesel. My spouse says i should get a spare since these engines seem to be pretty rare these days. The year ours was built the diesel with auto trans had the same torque rating as the V10! If i cant get parts in the future i guess i could swap in a Cummins!

Ive had a classC Rv on a Ram 3500 C&C since 2003. Really love the engine, no problems so far, less than 60k miles. The cummins guys are interesting. Found a guy advertising an engine he’d pulled from a truck he was swapping in a diesel. My spouse says i should get a spare since these engines seem to be pretty rare these days. The year ours was built the diesel with auto trans had the same torque rating as the V10! If i cant get parts in the future i guess i could swap in a Cummins!
Yes, get 2 cores !!

One of those things you witness that makes no sense and sticks with you... When I was visiting extended family on my dad's side in Jordan in about 2011, my cousin, his friends and I were hanging out in downtown Amman one night. Of all the places in the world you'd expect to happen, I hear a crazy loud sound and look to see a bright red dually 1990s Dodge Ram come blasting down the street. I asked my cousin who the heck would drive something like that here, he said "probably some rich kids, I dunno" LOL. I knew it had a V-10 because it clearly had straight pipes but it did NOT sound like a V-8, more like a Viper with broken exhaust really not good at all.

488 cubes. You oughtta be able to do somethin with um.

Maybe I can grind the flanges loose , the flange holes welded shut, drill new holes. Reorient the flange, better yet order the headers without the flange welded on, or fabricate my own
Man, I like the way You Think! And I'm thinking it's gonna be Mean. Sounds like a Lotta work, but I'll bet it's worth it!

Stone stock with one reasonably sized turbo. Tons of torque and straight up reliability.

I think its crazy that in the 90s it took a v10 8 litre to only make 300hp now they have little tiny 2.7 and 3.5 making well over 300

I think its crazy that in the 90s it took a v10 8 litre to only make 300hp now they have little tiny 2.7 and 3.5 making well over 300
The Transmission was near the limit
At 450 lbs torque. Im researching now if a 727 will work. Im geussing the engineers didnt want want push the trans to the edge of destruction, thus only 300 hp.
Imagine a V10, twin turbos, cam, programmable ecm, forged 5.9 magnum pistons. .030 Over, etc,
500 hp/500tq/500 cubic inches

Last edited:
Trans update.....
See Motor Trend Magazine
"The strongest Dodge trans built"
47/48Re "designed to handle insane torque and horsepower ".
Very Interesting read !

Also in 488magnum.com

Last edited:
-
Back