Same problem as always. Coolant in the oil.

-
I take it you are tearing it down.

Here's an idea.

Remove intake. Turn upper rad hose straight up.

Grab some thin steel/aluminum plate, use intake gasket as template, cut out four pieces large enough to cover the end water opening of the heads, drill holes that use the intake bolts, install plates with some silicone, seal it up, let set and fill the radiator. If it drains down, it isn't your intake sealing.

This will also give you an opportunity to see if the water is leaking down the valley from the head gasket. May also allow you to see where the water if it's coming from the front.

I like that idea, I'm gonna give it a shot. If I keep the radiator level below the outlet for the upper hose, will I be able to run the water pump as well? I'd like to have the coolant moving around through the motor to see if the additional pressure forces it out through a crack somewhere.

Well, I think I found the culprit.

When I hydraulic'd the motor a few weeks ago, the #2 cylinder was the one that bit the dust. We weren't exactly sure what happened, but assumed that the intake gasket had failed. The guy who put the motor together was suspicious of the heads (mostly because he didn't build them) and decided to swap them to the other sides so if this happened again, but this time in #7, we'd be sure there was an issue with the head in that spot.

I took the car off the trailer earlier and put it in the driveway. Once it was parked - on an incline - a lot of water came pouring out of the driver's side exhaust. So I pulled all of the plugs out to see if there was water in any of the cylinders. The #7 plug was totally clean and the spark plug hole was full of water.

I guess I've found the problem.

Anybody want a set of nicely ported, slightly cracked heads? :-D

Well I'm glad that you found the problem. I would try another set of heads and hope for the best. Those heads are the ones Bobby ported aren't they? You have had a fair share of trouble with that motor. As you noticed my post earlier that I said" you might be better off with another motor." The reason being is I'm tired of you working and throwing money at that motor like you have. Maybe cheaper to can that sucker and start over on a fresher block and heads. You get my drift don't you? That motor sounds cursed to me. LOL!

Mikel,

I've got a pair of pre-emission cast iron heads. PM me. They need valve guides and a valve job but never leaked on me.

Might cost more to ship than their worth and I have no expierience shipping anything this heavy, but maybe another member knows of some transport heading from CO to NY?

I've seen good welders weld up cracked heads as long as it's in a place that's accessible so don't chuck them yet until you find out what part of the head is cracked cause it may be repairable.

Well, once again Bobby (BJR Racing) comes through for me. He's offered to build me another head to replace the cracked one. For nothing, all he's asked me to do it pay for shipping. He's going to send me the bare casting, I'll use the parts from the cracked head (valves, springs, locks, etc) on the head. He's going to mill it and port it so it'll match the other head.

I've seen some people post some bad stuff about him, but in my eyes he's awesome. He's answered my stupid questions, guided me through what needed to be done to my heads (again answering my stupid questions along the way), talked my ear off for a few hours on the phone and now is replacing the damaged head at no cost. I never made any noise about blaming him for the cracked head, and I still don't think it was his fault. I've had leaking issues ever since I put these heads on, so there may have been a tiny crack to begin with and it's just finally broken all the way through. Or something like that.

Bobby... You da man!

In return I'm building a web site for him... BJRRacing.com. It's the least I could do. ;-)

I can only echo these words. Allways a good man to me.

Good things to good people.:cheers:

So this weekend I'm going to pull the heads off the motor. It wasn't making any strange noises when it was running, but there was tons of water in the cylinder. I'm really hoping that I didn't destroy another piston & rod.

Once I've got the heads off would I be able to tell if the rod is bent? Maybe by spinning the motor by hand and looking at how the piston moves? Or do I need to pull the rod out to have a look?

Hey thanks guys, but I know how some people would take this, because I worked on them last then it would have been something that I must have done. But since I know what has been done to his heads and have the pics. and the flow #'s and cc's I thought that I would help him in any way that I figured that I could.

Mike has been through alot with this engine and I have extra heads and figured hey I'll never use them all anyways so why not build him a head so he can race too. The way I see it is it's good customer relations, even if I didn't do it. But trying to duplicate someone elses work is tough to say the least if taken to another shop, so since I know what and how it was done it would be easier for me just to do another one and take care of his problems.

Thanks to Mike for the web site and his help. Right now I'm about a week and a half behind and it's been raining everday, so I should have it to mike in 3 weeks. I have to dig through 2 pallets of heads to find him the best casting suitable for his engine. Hang in there Mike it will be there shortly, I'll E - mail you as I get it closer.

Mike, As you roll the engine over see how it matches up with the other cylinders at TDC. This is a good indicator if theres a problem.

Kudos to Bobby. I doesn't surprise me to see him doing this either. He's taken valuable time to answer my questions before even though I never spent any money with him. Great to have somebody like this on the board. Like Mikel says Bobby "you's da man"!

I can't wait to check out his new website when Mikel gets it up and running. Let us all know when it's running Bobby.

Thanks fishy68,
For the compliment.
Mikel should have his new head from me by friday next week.

Good news!

After much yelling, screaming, knuckle busting and tool throwing, I got the heads off the motor. I checked out the #7 cylinder, and aside from a little bit of surface rust on the cylinder walls (which came right off with some WD-40), it's in good shape. I turned the motor over a few times, compared the height of the piston to the others and it's exactly the same. So I'm pretty confident that I didn't bend another rod.

Whew... that's a big load off of my mind.

Still haven't taken the heads apart, so I don't know what was going on with them.

However, there's been some developments since then.

Bobby first told me he had another head laying around that he would port and mill to match my one "good" X head. While he was doing the porting he hit a bad spot in the head (had a sand hole in it) and it went into the water jacket. So that head was shot.

Then he said he had a set of J heads that he had done for himself that he'd send up to me. Those were close to my heads in terms of flow, but weren't milled nearly as much so I would hopefully have fewer sealing issues. Those heads arrived here Friday.

I unpacked everything Friday night, didn't get a chance to look them over. This morning I did... it looks like they were damaged in shipping. One head has a bunch of grooves in it that weren't there when he sent them, and one cylinder has both the intake and exhaust seats chipped. Good thing he insured the package!

Now I've submitted a claim with UPS. Hopefully they'll process it quickly. After that, I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. I guess I could take these to a local shop and have them mill them to clean up the face with the grooves, and then install a new pair of seats. Or, I could just give up, sell the Duster and buy a bicycle. It won't go as fast but I won't have any more engine problems. ;-)

img150.jpg

img151.jpg

img154.jpg

img155.jpg

img156.jpg

Born under a bad sign ,I`ve been down since I began to crawl............you know the rest. Sometimes you just can`t buy a break. I know sometimes the bicycle sounds like the way to go but persevere and good things will happen.

-
Back