Saved a 1990 Dodge Daytona Shelby VNT

-
All,

I think that you ae referring to a "Grainger Valve" which is a cheapo boost controller bought from Grainger.

I had a sweet 89 Daytona Shelby that put down 340hp mid 12 sec to the wheels and won 2nd place for G Bodies Car Show @ SDAC some 7 or so years ago when it was held in Cincinnati! I have had a Omni GLH, Omni GLHS # 401, 2 Daytona Shelby's, and a Turbo Shadow ES. Go to TurboMopar or Turbo Dodge for all you would ever care to know about these rides. My buddy has a 9.9 sec Omni that ran Drag Week 2 or 3 years. Him and his buddy Brad ran the Turbo Van at Drag Week this year. They got mucho attention and both 1320 Videos and Hot Rad followed them all week and put out some vids on them.

I went from these to a SRT-4 and dropped in a Stage 3 Turbo that made 375/425 to the wheel and churned a 11.8 @ 117.5 with a 1.8 sixty!

FYI,
Marion

Small world...we've probably met before. I'm a regular at sdac and have been running with James, Brad and the rest of the sdac guys since our first go of Drag Week in 2013.

As a matter of fact, I'm the dope that was driving the van this year at the end of the 1320 video. Lol

Pat

So recently I saved a 1990 Dodge Daytona Shelby VNT from getting scrapped. The previous owner who owned it for about 10 years was going to scrap it because it needed some brake work and a few other little things. I didn't want this car to be crushed due to the potential it still has in it. This is also 1 of 536 Daytona Shelby VNTs produced in 1990.

The car still runs and drives really good still. Once I work some of the quirks out of this car this will be a fun little daily driver. For the future have been thinking about getting it repainted to make it look really fresh.

I thought would share this cause I know there has to be some G-body fans on FABO.

Wish me luck with this project!

View attachment 1715118092 View attachment 1715118095View attachment 1715118096 View attachment 1715118098 View attachment 1715118099
I just stripped one of those to the bones, White with White Pumper Wheels, bought it for the parts. Bad turbo, so bad it was laying down a 3 lane cloud 2 stories high, so I
brought an inverted flare plug and pulled the line, blocked the tap & drove it home about 80 mi. or so!!LOL!! I just pulled the intake hose off the intercooler, off I went!!:D

I just stripped one of those to the bones, White with White Pumper Wheels, bought it for the parts. Bad turbo, so bad it was laying down a 3 lane cloud 2 stories high, so I
brought an inverted flare plug and pulled the line, blocked the tap & drove it home about 80 mi. or so!!LOL!! I just pulled the intake hose off the intercooler, off I went!!:D

Well I didn't want this one to end up as a tin can in a junkyard! If you have any extra parts you'd be willing to sell, I may need a few of them. PM me about that if you are serious about it.

Wow, see some TD.com guys are around here also(and/or Turbomopar.com). Good save Valiantk360, any of the VNT cars are rare, maybe one day there will be an increase in there values. I do like how "responsive" the VNT turbo cars are, I had an '89 Shelby CSX for a few years. My work car is one of the (approximately) 125 '90 Lebaron VNT coupes. Got it years ago off a guy from Turbododge.com as a roller, so I put a 2.5 turbo it.

I still have my brand new 1984 Dodge Daytona turbo but I am ready to let it move on. Here is what it looks like today. Never ever had the wipers on since i brought it home 9-13-1983. Never been a wet street.
I bought an 84 Dodge 600 turbo automatic and raced it instead. It was much more consistent and easier to hot rod. It was a TI with TII stuff and it had a HD automatic and drivetrain from cars they never really built for USA.
Our new house was "built around it" in 1985. I run it annually and change fuel in it. It is time consuming to get out and drive around so I run it to warm things up.

fullsizeoutput_13.jpeg

IMG_1244.JPG

IMG_1248.JPG

IMG_1265.JPG

IMG_1267.JPG

Well I didn't want this one to end up as a tin can in a junkyard! If you have any extra parts you'd be willing to sell, I may need a few of them. PM me about that if you are serious about it.
Yeah, this one already had rust issues, and the kickpanel mounted fuse panel had taken on water/salt. The guy spliced in a new one w/a whole bag of blue butt terminals!
I kept most of what was usable after babysitting it whole for years, still running when I parked it and propped it up for the teardown. Not sure what You may need from it
seeing as Yours is in better looking shape, but I got it for project support mechanical and associated parts, but the rest let Me know and We'll see...:thumbsup:

Jeez, you guys are making me regret the 5.0 Mustang I had back then. Thanks a lot.

-
Back