saw a tesla model s sedan today

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Just saw a Tesla model S on the road today, i know its not a Mopar but its still pretty bad *** lookin. Car was all black with subdued chrome accents.

Was it on fire?

Just saw a Tesla model S on the road today, i know its not a Mopar but its still pretty bad *** lookin. Car was all black with subdued chrome accents.

No it was already put out, thus the all black and smoke covered chrome :)

I think you might be thinking of the Fisket Karma. That one catches fire

Who do you think designed the model s? Fisker auto did. The karma and model s are the exact same car with different frontends.

When someone explains to me how electric cars are "green" I might get excited.

Let's see.......charged off the grid.............check

No solar charging stations........................check

Expensive to buy.........................................check

No wintertime heater....................................check

No summertime AC......................................check

No driving range..............................................check

and no place to charge 'em when you get there...check

what chemicals, again, in the batteries..........check

Yes, They are a slick looking car. I see them all over the place here in the SF Bay Area.

Who do you think designed the model s? Fisker auto did. The karma and model s are the exact same car with different frontends.

Nope.

Tesla makes the Model S. Everything on the "S", body, drivetrain, etc, is unique to it and produced by Tesla. The body was designed by Franz von Holzhausen, who used to work for Mazda. Initially Fisker Coachbuild did do some design work on the body of the Model S, but apparently they stole some ideas from the Model S and used them to develop the Karma, and Tesla sued, way back in 2008. Tesla's are built in Fremont now and entirely by Tesla.

The Fisker Karma isn't even a fully electric car like the Model S, its a hybrid with a GM ectotec 4 cylinder in it too. The Fisker's were made in Finland, and production was stopped last year because of financial issues. Supposedly Fisker is in bankruptcy trouble.

Different cars, different companies, made in different countries.

As far as the fire thing, it's totally overblown. 2 Tesla's have had fires, and both were after hitting road debris. Heck Ford had dozen's of SUV's catch fire while just sitting in the garage because of a faulty cruise control before anyone even noticed. I suspect Tesla will have to go back and add some more protection for the battery pack, but realistically standard cars have fires because of road debris cutting fuel lines etc and it never makes the news.

"Green" or better for the environment is a whole different story. They charge off one of the most inefficient power grids in the world, and are chock full of nasty chemicals. Just trades one kind of pollution for another.

The Fisker is a hybrid. The Tesla is pure electric and is an original design. They have no components in common.

I have driven a Model S and it is actually pretty badass. It pulls like a locomotive at any speed, and never has to shift gears. Great ride, and zero body roll on corners due to the low CG.

Yes, three have made the news with fires lately, but two of them ran over large metal objects on the freeway, and the other guy crashed into a stationary object at 45mph. All three drivers walked away. As Elon Musk said, "There is a reason why most people who try to set something on fire start with gasoline, rather than batteries".

The fisker is also a massive failure. Tests have shown it is fairly inefficient.

I like the model S, but i'm not sold on electric cars. I think the prices are still too high and the technology makes it so that you need a second car for any long trips.

I see Teslas all the time here in Toronto.

One of those Lotus based sports cars they also make smoked by me on the 401 once - wicked little thing.

I make the bright outerbelt weatherstrip here in northern Michigan for that car. They are a real pain in the @ss company to deal with. We originall quoted a maximum volume of 200,000 vehicles per year and they are forcasting 800,000 and do not want to pay for more tools for this increase.

-
Back