Say good bye to a very nice car. Or help me fix it. It was worse in 84

-

Oldmanmopar

Going left turning right
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
It was worse in 84 and I fixed it. I will miss this car . I owned it since 73. It didn't have a chip in it. Less than 1000 miles on car. I Had the front end aligned and he didn't tighten the upper control arm bolts. Right wheel moved back against the fender and cut the tire sent me right off the road.

I had the factory mags on it from the road runner. If I would have had the front runners on the tire wouldn't have hit. I need a nice body Anyone out there that can help I would appreciate it . The car was only insured for $27,500 without buy back.
DSCN2764.JPG
DSCN2766.JPG

DSCN2767.JPG

DSCN2768.JPG

DSCN2769.JPG

DSCN2771.JPG

DSCN2775.JPG

Sorry to hear! That was a very nice car, I wish you luck with a new one!

oh snap!! (that's me not saying what I am really thinking) - let's start with - are YOU ok? for sure saddened to see this! there are plenty of Dusters out there for sale - it's a matter of finding the right one... as I am sure you know. So, pull the drive train and find a new car or what??

Sorry for the loss. But I'm curious why is this on your insurance. Your insurance should not be paying. His should.
Assuming yours does pay... are you thinking you can get more than the agreed value selling outright? Guess I'm not sure I understand what you're doing...

It was worse in 84 and I fixed it. I will miss this car . I owned it since 73. It didn't have a chip in it. Less than 1000 miles on car. I Had the front end aligned and he didn't tighten the upper control arm bolts. Right wheel moved back against the fender and cut the tire sent me right off the road.

I had the factory mags on it from the road runner. If I would have had the front runners on the tire wouldn't have hit. I need a nice body Anyone out there that can help I would appreciate it . The car was only insured for $27,500 without buy back. View attachment 1715049298 View attachment 1715049299

View attachment 1715049300

View attachment 1715049301

View attachment 1715049302

View attachment 1715049303

View attachment 1715049304
that's the trouble with alignment shops, nowadays. New "techs" don't know crap about aligning older Mopars. A similar thing happened to my son's 00 Dakota R/T. The upper bolts weren't torqued properly, came loose TWICE. Now they don't want to hold at all. The left lower control arm pivot wasn't tightened either and it wallowed out the hole in the frame. Thanks, Les Schwab!

Man sorry this happened... such an awesome car!! Your car was one of the best looking Dusters I've seen!

If it was the alignment shops mistake it should be their responsibility to repair/replace the car. Or at least give you 25K and you can do what you want with the car. I know if a oil change shop fails to properly fill your engine with oil after draining, and you engine locks up, then they have to buy you a new engine.

Treblig

MAN THAT REALLY SUCKS............sorry to see. im guessing the front hit a pole but how did the rear get so damaged.

If it was the alignment shops mistake it should be their responsibility to repair/replace the car. Or at least give you 25K and you can do what you want with the car. I know if a oil change shop fails to properly fill your engine with oil after draining, and you engine locks up, then they have to buy you a new engine.

Treblig
true enough - but the burden of proof and all that.. you'll probably never get a shop to admit they screwed the pooch.. for nearly 30k, they'll fight you ALL the way

Oh that hurts to look at !!
I hope you are ok ?
What a sad day!!!
Hope you find an awesome replacement !!

true enough - but the burden of proof and all that.. you'll probably never get a shop to admit they screwed the pooch.. for nearly 30k, they'll fight you ALL the way
I would think that all you need is a receipt (for the alignment) and less than 30 days (or so) since the accident??? I would at least talk to a lawyer (free consultation) and check the legal options unless it sat for 6 months after the alignment. The insurance companies also have free lawyers that will fight for you so that they don't have to pay.

I'm sure there's at least one lawyer that is an FABO member who can shed some light on the subject????

Treblig

A good lawyer will get you far more than the replacement cost of that, and YOUR insurance company lawyers ought to be drooling right now. Do they know the story?

I'm very sorry to see/hear that but you're ok, and that's what matters.

Sad day in classic car world but at least you were enjoying it

Holy **** Steve. This just ruined my morning. Unbelievable. Words don't even begin to say what I'm thinking right now. I hope you can find a nice body to install all you stuff on. But damn, just damn.

Treblig

Exactly. As a young man back in 1986-7 I was responsible for leaving the oil out of a car at the Jiffy Lube where I worked (long story, but it was MY responsibility) and the store's insurance put the new engine in that car. The alignment shop has to be insured. If they refuse to pay I would file suit and sue.

PS. I have NEVER made that mistake again and I'll pull a dipstick 19 times if I have to, to make sure!

PSS. GLAD YOU ARE OKAY!!!!!!

I'm with the others. Go after them! That's what insurance is for. You have to at least try. What do you have to lose?

I hope that you are physically without injury.
Having that car for such a long time and seeing how you had built it has been a good example for others. I always enjoyed looking at the photos of your Duster from way over here on the Left Coast.
Sorry that it happened.

I would think that all you need is a receipt (for the alignment) and less than 30 days (or so) since the accident??? I would at least talk to a lawyer (free consultation) and check the legal options unless it sat for 6 months after the alignment. The insurance companies also have free lawyers that will fight for you so that they don't have to pay.

I'm sure there's at least one lawyer that is an FABO member who can shed some light on the subject????

Treblig
oh - I hear ya - I would be AFTER them in a big way - you just have to know they are going to deny deny deny

!!DAMN!! I've been wondering how you are. Guess not so good. Hope that alignment shop has lots of extra money.

I am OK. Stressed more than anything. I had the car insured for $27,500 That is what I will receive minus the buy back. The shop that did the alignment does a lot of mopars . He is a very nice guy and uses my son for all their motor builds. I don't want to cut off my nose to spite my face. Also he is like the rest of us and has a family. I do not like the idea of ruining his business that feeds his kids. I will just take it as a lesson learned. I felt something wasn't right and I should have pulled over.
I will rebuild this car to the exactly as it was minus the drive line. The motor and trans will never see the street again. They will go into the Demon with a 23.5 cage and chassis. Turbo'd it should go 8's.

One thing I learned is when you have a cage in the car do not use factory seats. A full containment seat like our sprint car and a helmet should be wore . My soreness came from the side bar and it has NHRA approved pads No protection from a side impact to my ribs . Though the cage extending into the trunk saved the tank from getting ripped out.

The frame ties and the bars are what kept the car in one piece. Believe it or not I was doing the speed limit. My road is right past the next building after the pole I hit. When I hit the brakes for the turn the wheel moved back it went hard right and cut the tire. on the fender.

Oh yeah correction I had the car since 78 not 73. I found this on Craigs list. I believe this is the nicest so far. If anyone has anything nicer let me know. Thanks for all your concerns. This happened two days ago Steve

1971 Plymouth Duster

I Had the front end aligned and he didn't tighten the upper control arm bolts.

He didnt tighten.
might be just personal syntax, but i use "he" when speaking of a person, and "they" when speaking of a shop

i wonder if the alignment was done by a friend of the OP?
even though that wouldnt change who is legally responsible, it might change how the OP will pursue this
(i know i wouldnt go after a buddy in court like i might a shop)

-
Back