Say good bye to a very nice car. Or help me fix it. It was worse in 84

-
I am OK. Stressed more than anything. I had the car insured for $27,500 That is what I will receive minus the buy back. The shop that did the alignment does a lot of mopars . He is a very nice guy and uses my son for all their motor builds. I don't want to cut off my nose to spite my face. Also he is like the rest of us and has a family. I do not like the idea of ruining his business that feeds his kids. I will just take it as a lesson learned. I felt something wasn't right and I should have pulled over.
I will rebuild this car to the exactly as it was minus the drive line. The motor and trans will never see the street again. They will go into the Demon with a 23.5 cage and chassis. Turbo'd it should go 8's.

One thing I learned is when you have a cage in the car do not use factory seats. A full containment seat like our sprint car and a helmet should be wore . My soreness came from the side bar and it has NHRA approved pads No protection from a side impact to my ribs . Though the cage extending into the trunk saved the tank from getting ripped out.

The frame ties and the bars are what kept the car in one piece. Believe it or not I was doing the speed limit. My road is right past the next building after the pole I hit. When I hit the brakes for the turn the wheel moved back it went hard right and cut the tire. on the fender.

Oh yeah correction I had the car since 78 not 73. I found this on Craigs list. I believe this is the nicest so far. If anyone has anything nicer let me know. Thanks for all your concerns. This happened two days ago Steve

1971 Plymouth Duster
that makes a lot of sense. Years ago, I was doing time onlies against some tunnel rammed BBC in an old chev body. he was a couple lengths ahead of me at the lights, when he hit the brakes, something must have broken because the right front corner of his car dropped and he did a 90 degree turn right in front of me. I still had my foot in it, and I had no time to really react. I don't know how I missed hitting him, but definitely scared the crap out of me.

No offense but even seasoned people make mistakes and are liable for those. If one lawsuit ruins a business that is properly insured the business wasnt that strong anyway. If it was me I'd already have a lawyer call and let them know what's coming. It could have killed you, or others. You and be are lucky it hit a pole and didn't slide through a house. If you did any damage in sliding to any other insured's property you can bet your *** that insired's insurance co. would be already suing you and the shop. If the guy is stand up he will understand.

He didnt tighten.
might be just personal syntax, but i use "he" when speaking of a person, and "they" when speaking of a shop

i wonder if the alignment was done by a friend of the OP?
even though that wouldnt change who is legally responsible, it might change how the OP will pursue this
(i know i wouldnt go after a buddy in court like i might a shop)
He didnt tighten.
might be just personal syntax, but i use "he" when speaking of a person, and "they" when speaking of a shop

There is only one person at the shop. The owner. So it was "He" Not "they" That didn't tighten the bolts. The bolts can be tightened by one person. And yes I do know him ."He" Has a shop down the street. We all make mistakes. The car can be replaced and I am OK. I live in a small community and everyone knows each other.

i get what your saying
(specially since you seem to have gone into detail, the same time i was writing my thoughts down)

looks like you're saying what i thought you were saying, you're dealing with a person, not a corporation
makes a big difference

9458a38f082ed5e6e9f8a9415a79b09d_crying-gif-meme-memesuper-crying-meme-gif_620-340.gif

If he has insurance, go after it. If he's a stand up guy, he should be doing that on your behalf already.

If he doesn't have insurance, he shouldn't have been in business, but the insurance is there to make sure that something like this DOESN'T ruin a man and his family.

Glad you're OK
Could have been a whole lot worse... ran over someone in their yard or house, killed you... damn ... who else is he going to try to kill ... :wtf:

He should give you something... money, help fixing your car, free lifetime alignments... etc...

Yup, he damn well better have insurance. Make him use it. That's 100% bullcrap. He needs to pay. If he doesn't have insurance, he needs to be shut down.

That Sucks! So bummed and sorry this happened to you!

As a alignment tech and much more in my previous life, I will not trust a shop with my car that will not let me get under and watch every move. These cars require some finess to align and not hurt the frame and mounts. Guess that is why I do the strings and level at home!

sorry about your ride , its a beauty . glad you're okay with just some bumps . cars can get fixed . but i do think this shop owner owes you big time . hope it can get worked out .

There is only one person at the shop. The owner. So it was "He" Not "they" That didn't tighten the bolts. The bolts can be tightened by one person. And yes I do know him ."He" Has a shop down the street. We all make mistakes. The car can be replaced and I am OK. I live in a small community and everyone knows each other.
First. I'm glad you're (relatively) ok.

Second. Damn. That sucks. It's a beautiful car. I think you should fix it and get it back on the street.

Third. I get what you're saying about him owning the shop. And it being a small town. But shops like his have insurance for a reason. You aren't going to "ruin" or "bankrupt" a guy for making an insurance claim against him. His insurance rates might go up, depending on his insurance and past incidents. But they might not go up. And if you claim this under your insurance, your rates WILL go up. You'll be paying for his mistake for quite a long time. Not only that. But your insurance might change how much coverage they are willing to provide and what not. Or worse, they might force you to write the car off.

He pays for insurance for the same reason you do. So that when a small mistake like this happens once in a blue moon, he doesn't lose the shop over it.

"I felt something wasn't right and I should have pulled over."
Sounds like you are a good, responsible man.
No matter what situation, I would think they should feel they have some responsibility.
That looks like one very clean car, that link to CL.

What an absolute heartbreaker. I know you loved that car. So did I.

I am sure glad you are ok.

You asked if anyone knew of a better car than the one you posted off Craigslist for $22K

The following car and the owner is well known on the Moparts message board. Knowing the owner over the years, this car is an honest great factory original presenting 1971 340 Duster - now with a 416 stroked 340. The car is very very nice but it is located in California so transport to PA will not be cheap.

For your review --- Below is the Moparts for sale ad, posted just a few days ago ---

I have made a long soul searching decision here. Family matters, and knowing I have to finish up another project have prompted my decision to say it's time to sell my beloved '71 340 Duster. A lot of you out there have seen, or know of my Duster. It's been in several magazines in the past. Most notably, cover car in the Feb. 2006 Hemmings Muscle Machines. That was just before I went through it for a few year resto. This car has a rich history, looks fantastic, and runs strong. All matching #'s 340 California car. I can't get pics to post on here, I haven't been on here posting since the big change a few years ago. I will be most happy to send pics to any ones E mail if interested. The car still looks basically stock. But I've done a few changes.
The matching #'s 340 is in it, but I've stroked it to a 416ci roller motor. #'s matching trans has been rebuilt, but never installed. The trans in it now is a race trans I did years ago. I still have a lot of the org. parts, and all will go with the car. Pics don't do this car justice. I could go on, and on. But it's just best to call me. 916-207-7746, or Email me at [email protected].
I'm in central Calif. Email me for further details, or call to talk. I'm pricing it to sell at $28,500.00. Please don't call to talk to me about lower prices. You all know what these cars go for.
Thank you,
Mike

I was thinking about it all day. I was looking back through the pics of the car. I gotta fix it. I need a nice 71 body. I'll take more pics and post them. Even the windshield is laid front. The bottom of the A pillars are kinked.
Man Steve that sucks glad you are ok.. Seeing the pictures brings a tear to my eyes....
Dave I am so upset You couldn't imagine. Looks to me like Hancy's car is on hold. When the cage welding is done I'll paint the roof and edge the car and its out of there.
Did Jim tell you about the the shop in Delaware where we went for the Roadrunner Thursday. You have to come down this weekend and see the car. You'll have laughter tears and pains When you see it. There alsowas a 68 FB 340 cuda and a 72 BB Duster there forsale. It cheers me up every time I look at the Roadrunner and recall his sales pitch. I drove that far and we were not coming back empty. But most of it fell off on the way home. See ya this week end .

That's a fantastic attitude. Plus, we all know that the UCA bolts can be really tricky to get tightened properly. They can be problematic. I am just glad you are ok. Wouldn't be the same around here without you.

Sorry to hear this news. I remember getting the tour of that beauty when I bought some 71 Demon parts from you, your Duster was an absolute work of art.

You asked if anyone knew of a better car than the one you posted off Craigslist for $22K

The following car and the owner is well known on the Moparts message board. Knowing the owner over the years, this car is an honest great factory original presenting 1971 340 Duster - now with a 416 stroked 340. The car is very very nice but it is located in California so transport to PA will not be cheap.

Mike
I just drove to Dallas and back straight through for a WRX. If it is what I am after I'll take the ride. Do you know where I can see pics of the car and what color is it. Mine started life in Bahama yellow, I painted it Orange. Thanks Steve

-
Back