SB Header fittment (cheapos).

-

JoeDust451

Reaction score
Sence i go zilch 0 responces on this is the exhaust section with 49 veiws lol, maybe i'll get feedback here, its been awhile sence i've installed headers in a SB A body WITH PS, i did awhile back on a 73 with spool mounts, don't remember what brand i purchased, but they fit ok, don't think i had to modify them at all, but i have a 71 dart now, & would really like to keep the PS, & no, i'm not shelling out 600.00 for TTIs, i'm looking at the Summit & Jegs headers, summits say they will work with PS, but i've heard others having issues with them, the plus side to the Jegs is, there 16 gauge vs. 18, but they "will not" work with PS, so i'm looking at the headman brand 78050, or maybe Dynomax's Blackjacks 85035, what headers are some of you useing out of these that are decent with PS on the older mounts, not the spool mounts.

Dougs and tti are the only ones that fit without the low hanging, drag under the center link style.

Dougs you can get uncoated for about $400 # D453R

The rest of them will fit with PS and they suck. Just My opinion

Dougs and tti are the only ones that fit without the low hanging, drag under the center link style.

Dougs you can get uncoated for about $400 # D453R

The rest of them will fit with PS and they suck. Just My opinion

Yeah, i'll agree with you there, they do suck lol, but there cheap. Are those headers Doug Thorley's?

I used the Summit on my 73 Duster, it was a little tight but they worked, they do hang a little low but for the price I can live with that

same here. Used the summit headers in my ´69 dart with powersteering. Passenger side was no prob to install, drivers side need the big hammer but it´s ok for the low price

I used Hedmans on my 72 Swinger. They fit well, and cost fairly little. The website says about $200, and I think thats close to what I paid several years ago. Easiest way to keep the low hanging tubes from taking a pounding is to put a swaybar on the car.

I had used a set of "Blackjack" headers before. I don't even know if they make them anymore. But I wouldn't buy them, as the extra $50 for the Hedman set was a GREAT deal.

I am running Hedmans and have no fitment issues with PS (one tube is very close to one of the box mounting bolts but does not touch). The tubes wrapping under the center link is just not an issue if you keep the car at a stock ride height. I have 30k miles on mine now and have not hit them.

Be aware of the flange thickness on the Headmans. (only 1/4" thick) They tend to bend easily when torqued. I'm running Dynomax headers and the fit is ok. Also, the thicker flange is a bonus (5/16")

I'm not running with power steering. (if that matters)

Hope this helps,

Just finished putting a set of Hedmans on an LA small block and if the set I got is typical of what they are turning out now I would not use them for a yard ornament much less try to put them on my car again. The turn radius on several of the tubes was so tight that I had to enlarge the holes just to get the bolts in. On one flange hole I had to grind the bolt shorter just to be able to straighten it up to get it started in the head. Five holes were partially welded over so bolts would not even go through, had to use a UniBit to ream out the holes. The #1 tube interfered with the corner of the steering box and the passengers side hit the transmission brace bad, lots of grinding there. Spacing on the bolt holes was such that even with the generous holes, on one end hole was all the way to the right and on the other end was so far left had to ream out the hole to get bolt in. If I had not been installing these with the engine out where I could get to everything I would never have been able to or had patience to get the stupid things to fit.

The strange part is, if you notice, everyone has a different story. Mybe it just depends on the year, or mounts?? Some people say they are fine, others would never use them again. It just seems like luck on the draw. I just bought them myself for a 73... So I just may have my own story as well. My engine is out though, so it MIGHT make things a bit easier?

Tried to fit Hooker 1 3/4 primaries with PS on a 68 formula S. Couldn't get them to fit so went with 1 7/8 for now also Hooker. They fit well and clearance is pretty good.

sure you dont mean 1 5/8"? didnt think there was a 1 7/8" primary header for cars with powersteering:S

The strange part is, if you notice, everyone has a different story. Mybe it just depends on the year, or mounts?? Some people say they are fine, others would never use them again. It just seems like luck on the draw. I just bought them myself for a 73... So I just may have my own story as well. My engine is out though, so it MIGHT make things a bit easier?

i think its all about productiontolerances stacking up, these cars where never realy "right" from the beggining and i gues 30+ years of use and abuse will make that even worse,then add in some mechanics of diferent and mostly low level wrenching on these cars for the same 30years and then on top of that im sure there is some tollerances in manufacturing these cheaper headers after all this is factored in i gues its kind of easy to see the problem with fitment of any kind of header

Sence i go zilch 0 responces on this is the exhaust section with 49 veiws lol, maybe i'll get feedback here, its been awhile sence i've installed headers in a SB A body WITH PS, i did awhile back on a 73 with spool mounts, don't remember what brand i purchased, but they fit ok, don't think i had to modify them at all, but i have a 71 dart now, & would really like to keep the PS, & no, i'm not shelling out 600.00 for TTIs, i'm looking at the Summit & Jegs headers, summits say they will work with PS, but i've heard others having issues with them, the plus side to the Jegs is, there 16 gauge vs. 18, but they "will not" work with PS, so i'm looking at the headman brand 78050, or maybe Dynomax's Blackjacks 85035, what headers are some of you useing out of these that are decent with PS on the older mounts, not the spool mounts.
I have chrome Eagle headers on my Dart. I put them on the car in 1985 and they are still on there BUT they are also the reason I'm driving around with NO power steering. They just wouldn't go on with the P.S. pump in the way. I was 28 then and now I'm 51 and wish I had power steering. The thing is a bear to park but is fine when moving.

-
Back