SB Stroker Intake Choices

-

YO7_A66

Reaction score
I have started assembling my 340/420 and I need to start deciding on which intake to run. I currently have the following two intakes:
Non-Airgap RPM
Weiand X-celerator (small single plane)

I have gasket matched both of these to the same intake gaskets, and the depth of the match is about the same for both. I have also matched the intake openings to the carb gasket on both pieces. My worry with these is that they were made for 318-360 cu inches when new and now even with the gasket match, I’m guessing that they will still be a restriction for the 420.

I am also trying to decide if the new Trick Flow single plane or the Indy 360-3R single plane may be better options too at about a $30 difference in price between them brand new. I know the Indy is quite a bit taller, but I am running a drop base air cleaner with about a 1” spacer under the carb with the current RPM intake. So, I am fairly sure that the 360-3R will not have a height issue under the hood (Challenger with RT hood).

My main concern with the top two are, if they are going to choke down the engine or not. My main concern with the 360-3R is if it is too big for a streetcar that will be maxed out at 6-6200rpms or so and has a solid lifter cam of 252/256 @ .050” with .603” lifts (before lash and geo loss).

My 727 Dynamic 9.5” converter was spec’d for my 340 with a 226/238 cam. So, I am assuming that the flash rpms will move up from 3800rpms with this new setup.

This is my street toy with no power steering or AC, and it has manual front disc brakes. So which intake would you suggest?
Thanks!!

Last edited:
Single plane with that cam and on street (not going to hook up very good anyways).

Since you have the weiand single plane, might as well run it.

Last edited:
I'm impressed with my out of the box Trick Flow intake and how it performed first time out in my new build. I have yet to run anything else worth noting so not much to compare to right now.

Say what you want, but for all out performance/drivability, it will be hard to beat a good ol air gap !!!!!

Having said that, I would run the RPM over the Weiand.

My .02 cents......Converter will probably flash in the 4's now so gearing won't make a ton of difference. That said, the X-cel is a doorstop for your combo imo and the RPM's mid range won't be needed, so of the other two, i really like the TF Track heat as it's a short enough to not worry about clearance issues.

If it were me, I think I’d invest in the Indy intake because there is no way that thing is gonna run out of steam at 6k rpm. Unless of course that’s where you set the rev limiter.
Sell the two intakes you have to recoup some of the cost….. oh who am I kidding? You own an R/T Challenger, I’m sure you can probably afford it. Lol :rolleyes:

What cylinder heads are on it?

I agree that it is a mismatch combo, but I am going to work on that over the next year or so.
This is a numbers matching 340 car that I have had for 23 years. I lost the crank about two years ago and I am just now getting it back together.
The heads are ported Sidewinders (280cfm @ .550”).
I blew my budget on the rotating assembly and I am trying to put money where it’s needed to get it back in the car this Spring.
Thanks everyone!

Unfortunately, yes. The 360-3 was on my Christmas list but Santa must’ve heard I’ve been an asshole. So no bueno’.

My buddy is a dealer and when he told me I’m glad I was sitting down. I have two sitting here but one is highly modified for my moved pushrod heads.

You have 2 of the oval port intakes? Please think of me when you decide to part ways with one of them. I’ll come down from Clarion and chew the rag with you for a couple hours. :poke:

Isnt the Indy different bolt pattern than stock LA? I think so.....so this would not be a bolt on deal anyways for the OP.

Michael

Isnt the Indy different bolt pattern than stock LA? I think so.....so this would not be a bolt on deal anyways for the OP.

Michael
If that is true, I was not aware of that detail. Thank you Michael!

If that is true, I was not aware of that detail. Thank you Michael!

The Indy intakes do in fact have a different bolt pattern. That I know if they do not offer the LA bolt pattern but I may be wrong. My intake was redrilled then eventually the heads were.

The Indy intakes do in fact have a different bolt pattern. That I know if they do not offer the LA bolt pattern but I may be wrong. My intake was redrilled then eventually the heads were.
Thanks for the confirmation! This definitely moves the 360-3R off the table for me.

I have started assembling my 340/420 and I need to start deciding on which intake to run. I currently have the following two intakes:
Non-Airgap RPM
Weiand X-celerator (small single plane)

I have gasket matched both of these to the same intake gaskets, and the depth of the match is about the same for both. I have also matched the intake openings to the carb gasket on both pieces. My worry with these is that they were made for 318-360 cu inches when new and now even with the gasket match, I’m guessing that they will still be a restriction for the 420.

I am also trying to decide if the new Trick Flow single plane or the Indy 360-3R single plane may be better options too at about a $30 difference in price between them brand new. I know the Indy is quite a bit taller, but I am running a drop base air cleaner with about a 1” spacer under the carb with the current RPM intake. So, I am fairly sure that the 360-3R will not have a height issue under the hood (Challenger with RT hood).

My main concern with the top two are, if they are going to choke down the engine or not. My main concern with the 360-3R is if it is too big for a streetcar that will be maxed out at 6-6200rpms or so and has a solid lifter cam of 252/256 @ .050” with .603” lifts (before lash and geo loss).

My 727 Dynamic 9.5” converter was spec’d for my 340 with a 226/238 cam. So, I am assuming that the flash rpms will move up from 3800rpms with this new setup.

This is my street toy with no power steering or AC, and it has manual front disc brakes. So which intake would you suggest?
Thanks!!
I am a big believer in the excellerator for a street strip type deal.
It’s a little smaller single plane. I have ran them on multiple combos over the years.
I went 10.77 with it couple years ago on an Eddie stroker in a 3360 pound car. Little bit bigger cam than you have, but not much. Small 1 5/8 tube headers too.
It will easily support a 10 sec car.

Here’s the Indy intake I drilled. Like I said I ended up getting aluminum bolts and taking the heads over to my buddy’s house and redrilling the heads on his mill. What a waste having these sitting on the shelf unused.

IMG_1723.jpeg

IMG_1722.jpeg

IMG_1721.jpeg

-
Back