SB supercharger......

-

mrtires24

Reaction score
I have been kicking around the idea of building a car with a SB/paxton supercharged.

Now I noticed a 73 duster in the for sale section with the same setup that I am looking to do. This guy is asking over $30K for the car.

Does a $3000 supercharger really ad $25K to a $5,000 car?? I think its out to lunch.

Anyways...does anyone have any advice for a SB supercharger build? could I just use a stock motor? or will it just go boom really quick? What kind of build would I be looking at doing.

any advice would be apreciated.

Have a demon just sitting...and it has a Mr. Norms sticker on the rear window...seams like it is meant to be.

Phil

i think it would go boom quick. you need a bullet proof bottom end girdle studs maybe splayed bolts and 7.5 to 8.0 compression. and blow thru carbs and a good fuel system or it will fry like a cutting torch is inside the cylinders.jmo

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the mr norms paxton car were completley stock bottom end,, 8 or 8.5 compression,, no bottom end gridel...and used a thermo quad in the carb box,,,

god luck finding one of those set ups,,, i know where one is but it will never come out of the box it is packed away in,,

but you can go with a modern version,paxton belt driven front mounted or a pro charger,,,blow thru carb,,good pair of headers,,blower cam,,felpro O-RING reinforced head gaskets,,,make sure the heads are surfaced,,surfacing the block would also insure a good seal at the head ,, or you could have the heads or block O-RINGED,,

for pump gas,,make sure you are under 8.5 compression,,cc the motor,, dont assume that if you have pistons advertised for 8.5 that the actual compression it true,,if you can get a pair of 8.0 or even 7.5 compression pistons ide do that,,,
the most important thing on a blower motor as far as driveablity is the carbs,,out of the box carbs wil not work properly,,,you can buy them prepped for a blower,, weather they sit on top or blow thru,,,once your carbs are dialed in for the octane gas you plan to use,,stick to it,,more octane will not make it go faster,,and some times will slow it down,,,the main thing is NOT TO LEAN IT OUT,,,,pump gas 93 with out a good timing computer,,will only support 9 pounds of boost, call a place caled BIG AL,S TOY BOX in mass,, he has some killer deals on complete blower motors,,for roots style blowers like mine in the pic 340 X block,, 4 bolt main 7.76 compression ultradyne solid cam 2 holley 650s that flow 862 each,4 speed,

refreshing the cuda july 2008 060.jpg

listen to the xpert. but i did say jmo. blow your money if you want. if i built a blower car i would build it bullit proof because i would beat on it.

what i was trying to get across,,,you dont need a HEMI strength bottom end for a street motor,,just a good head to block seal,,,small block mopars only have 10 head bolts per side, if not properly sealed at the head you wil spend all your time replacing head gaskets,,,and not to run it lean,,thats all you need for a street blower motor,,,,roots or paxton,,sorry for the confusion,,,,,

no problem i should keep my opinions to myself and then i dont get called out.

the mr norms paxton car were completley stock bottom end,, 8 or 8.5 compression,, no bottom end gridel...and used a thermo quad in the carb box,,,,

That is what I thought, But wasn't sure.

Sure it would be better to build an engine right out to the tits, but not everyone has money for that.

I am just kicking around the idea. and I know there are some people that like to spend other people's money when they are asking what they will need for something, but not every build needs the best of the best.

If I do choose to go this route, I will put it as a seperate car thread so people can watch what I do and how I do it etc.

Kinda learn as I go.

have two 318's and a 360 at home anyways also have a BB, but I think I should go with the SB first time around. after all I want to try and make something that is as much fun and gets the wow factor as my BB duster. I thin this would do it.

Phil

dare devil,,you just took it wrong,, i didnt want mr tires to think he was going to have to build a milion dollar motor for simple street use,,, my motor is over kil for the street,,but some of the over kill parts i found for the right price at the right time of my build,,,

mr tires,,decide what your use will be,,what type of super charger,,and research it,,talk to every one you can,,that has that type of set up,and ask if they did the work,, or if they really know what they have,,then go from there,,

just remember,,a good head to block seal is most important,,no need to over cam it,,smal block mopars dont like to be over cammed,,almost sorry i replied to this topic,,,maybe next time ill elt soem oe nthat doesnt know what there talking about,,talk some one out of what they want to do,,

no problem it was only my opinion. i beat on everything i build and i would need good hard parts. you have more blower experience than i do. My point is if it will be flogged build it bullitproof. it beats building it twice.Did I just get slammed again in your last sentence.

The other option I am thinking is modifieing a trbo to work with a SB.

What pro's or cons do I have with a turbo VS a supercharger?

I know one is belt driven and the other is driven from the exhaust.

what do you guys think?

no problem it was only my opinion. i beat on everything i build and i would need good hard parts. you have more blower experience than i do. My point is if it will be flogged build it bullitproof. it beats building it twice.Did I just get slammed again in your last sentence.

nope not slamming any one,,,i agree with your opnion,,if your going to beat the crap out of it,,build it bullet proof, i orignaly planned on racing the car,, but to much money invested and no time to do major repairs,,so i street drive it,,

like you said pros and cons on turbo vs supercharging,, they claim a belt driven roots charger robs 50 horse power to turn the blower,,on average 40- 50 % gain in power,,,turbo is anoother animal,,i dont know realy a lot about,,but a good bang for the buck,,, there is a small block turbo set up on this site,,,

The other option I am thinking is modifieing a trbo to work with a SB.

What pro's or cons do I have with a turbo VS a supercharger?

I know one is belt driven and the other is driven from the exhaust.

what do you guys think?

A turbo setup is going to involve a lot more development and money than a supercharger which is much more of a "bolt-on". Turbos have way more HP potential than blowers and don't rob any HP to turn but it's hard getting them to provide good boost at low RPM if you want massive HP. Superchargers, however, can provide instant boost at any RPM (especially Roots/Screw-type blowers) with typically more torque available everywhere in the powerband and are more straightforward to install.

I have been running the Paxton setup for more than a year with great success. Mine was originally a stock cast bottom end with 10lbs, now I am running forged bottom end, everything studded and 18lbs boost. I love it
ENGINE.jpg

the mr norms paxton car were completley stock bottom end,, 8 or 8.5 compression,, no bottom end gridel...and used a thermo quad in the carb box,,,

god luck finding one of those set ups,,, i know where one is but it will never come out of the box it is packed away in,,

may be in luck.. looks liek it may be produced again.. my low compression 360 would be the perfect canidate for one of those bitches.. :)

Matt Delaney of Delaney Auto Design saw this as the perfect candidate to show off the first running pre-production prototype of Paxton's NOVI Super Charger for Mopar carb applications. Paxton dusted off the original designs that made Mr. Norm famous and updated it to give you reliable power and ultimate driveability.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=78643

So, how about a picture of this Demon you are planning to supercharge?

My opinion, low boost, stock, basic smogger engine. High boost, build it to take a pounding. Simple enough?

...Does a $3000 supercharger really ad $25K to a $5,000 car?? I think its out to lunch...

Yes it does. Just like adding a Hemi. :) (I think that violates some natural law somehow)

With the availability of inexpensive stroker parts I wonder if supercharging/turbocharging is less useful now unless you are looking for absolute max power. One of the advantages of supercharging was constant and immediate power boost across the whole rpm range which a larger engine obviously gives you already.

Yes it does. Just like adding a Hemi. :) (I think that violates some natural law somehow)

With the availability of inexpensive stroker parts I wonder if supercharging/turbocharging is less useful now unless you are looking for absolute max power. One of the advantages of supercharging was constant and immediate power boost across the whole rpm range which a larger engine obviously gives you already.

i get that point but a stroker doesnt have that same pexxx enlargement effect that a whining blower has :)

im building a 340 with 8.1:1compression and a twinscrew supercharger and hope to have it all done next spring :)

Mine is 406 magnum stroker with the 18lbs, big block torque and power, small block weight:cheers:

In the end it's all in the tune. You can run 30 PSI on an all forged motor or all cast and if the tune isn't good, things can go bad in a hurry. A built bottom end gives you more resistance to error if your tune has an issue or if you get some bad fuel. Fueling is not a place to skimp. BTW, the latest issue of Mopar Muscle covers supercharging in detail.

Turbo's are pretty sweet, but you'd need to fabricate the hot and cold side plumbing unlike the supercharger kits that pretty much come with everything you need to install. There are a few turbo A bodies running around, I think I saw a setup in the For sale forum.

-
Back