SBC SWAP IN A 64 BARRACUDA?

-

Tony Cabler

Reaction score
Looking to graft a 64 Barracuda to a 68 corvette frame 1st, then install a 350 SBC and M21 4 speed.
It's a FI unit, roller, 450+ HP.
Will the 8.75/3.55 rear hold up with 15×29" drag radials?
Has anyone attempted a swap like this?

Qualify the use of the car. I am thinking the 15x29 DR's will hold up fine on the street and do okay until you dead hook it. The M21 is likely to break before the 8.75 diff.

What part of Oregon are you from? I thought the people down here were on some good **** but you guys obviously have them beat lol. Hopefully you have mad fab skills and a whole lot of imagination! Big project!

Looking to graft a 64 Barracuda to a 68 corvette frame 1st, then install a 350 SBC and M21 4 speed.

Worst of all worlds. Leave the Barracuda alone. It will out handle and top end higher with the 273, as well as last forever. Build your Corvette with the worthless 350.

The dimensions don't even come close.
Corvette/Barracuda
Wheelbase: 98 in. / 106 in.
Front track: 58.3 in. / 55.9 in.
Rear track: 59 in. / 55.6 in.
Engine mounting location of the Corvette relative to the front axle would put the engine in the front seat of the Barracuda.
I'm not sure what the purpose of this all would be, anyways. Corvettes of that vintage weren't exactly stellar handling cars to begin with, and only 450 horse in the end? A lotta work for zero payback. For all the fab and custom parts you'd need, you could put Viper underpinnings in it.
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but either build the Barracuda or find a Nova to carve up.
JMO, your car.

Yup. It'll hold up to most any use I can think of. If you have any reservations, just use a Dana 60 or Ford 9", but IMO, the 8.750 will get the job done.

Last edited:
I know someone who did this Corvette frame swap thing to a '68 Dart. The wheel base is different, he moved the rear wheel openings forward among other changes, the car is now a piece of s---.

And if the 9.750 mentioned previously does not hold up, spend another 25 cents and get a 10.0
I said 9.750 in that post, but I meant 8.750. I changed it. I do think the 8 3/4 will be fine at that power level. A lot of people on here have put a lot more power than that through them. @SGBARRACUDA comes to mind.

I know someone who did this Corvette frame swap thing to a '68 Dart. The wheel base is different, he moved the rear wheel openings forward among other changes, the car is now a piece of s---.
But that's not what he's askin about.

And another thing...all the big Mopar shows I go to will not let you in.
Usually there's a line that says the vehicles must be Mopar powered.

It's like wearing a Let's Go Brandon T-shirt on a white house tour.

That will be one hell of a challenge. The 8 3/4 will work fine. although I'm a Mopar Wack job, if you do this, I'd like to see it in a build thread.

Yeah, but if he wants a Chevy, get a Chevy.
The car will not look right, it will always look like a basturd. We're not talking about a street outlaws '69 Camaro with a blown Chrysler Hemi. It's not the same.
If he wants to do it, he doesn't need our approval. This is kinda like " Why does a dog lick himself, because he can."

I said 9.750 in that post, but I meant 8.750. I changed it. I do think the 8 3/4 will be fine at that power level. A lot of people on here have put a lot more power than that through them. @SGBARRACUDA comes to mind.
You all are missing the point, if the OP is not even using the IRS from the 68 Vette, all he is doing is mounting what will be a hacked 1st generation unibody Barracuda on a hacked full frame. Basically adding weight. Just as well use a S10 frame and make it a 4 wheel drive.
The IRS made a 68 Vette chassis a bit special. Without that the frame is just another unequal A arm coil spring front suspension. And one that weighs more and does not have the handling potential of the Barracuda’s torsion bar front suspension.
So again, what is the point, it’s not Hot Rodding, as to Hot Rod implies making something: faster, lighter, better.

Last edited:
It was called hot rodding.
Fixed! I am more brand specific. Not totally OEM, restore down to the last nut and bolt but brand specific. A Ford Coupe should have a Ford mill. A 33 Dodge needs a Mopar engine whether it be a Gen 1 Hemi or a Poly (that would be cool), a 340 6 pack or a 426 wedge. Not a Chevy.

Mopar has so many cool- powerful engines why dump a Stovebolt in?

Fixed! I am more brand specific. Not totally OEM, restore down to the last nut and bolt but brand specific. A Ford Coupe should have a Ford mill. A 33 Dodge needs a Mopar engine whether it be a Gen 1 Hemi or a Poly (that would be cool), a 340 6 pack or a 426 wedge. Not a Chevy.
I agree, but the old stuff is gettin harder and harder to find.

I agree, but the old stuff is gettin harder and harder to find.
Oh it is not. We are fricking giving away 318's that can be easily modified to 400 horse or even more with a 4" stroke crank. I call BS on that.

They fit Jeep frames... so I guess something could be worked out on a vette
4947_n.png?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=c48759&_nc_ohc=6y6uPTrMjsIAX-MSRUW&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.png

Mopar has so many cool- powerful engines why dump a Stovebolt in?
He's not askin about anybody's opinions is what I was gettin at. He's already made his mind up to use what he has. He HAS a Mopar car. Whether that's enough for YOU of ME wasn't his question. lol

He's not askin about anybody's opinions is what I was gettin at. He's already made his mind up to use what he has. He HAS a Mopar car. Whether that's enough for YOU of ME wasn't his question. lol
:rofl::rofl::rofl: I just noticed it is in the wrong forum. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Original question. Will the 8 3/4 hold up? Which one? :rofl:

The OP might be better served selling the 68 Vette frame to a Chevy guy that needs it. There's plenty of rusted frames that need to be replaced.
Then put the money towards building the Barracuda.
If he insists on using a SBC in the cuda after that, he shouldn't be posting here. He only has 5 posts.

If he wants to do it in a race car, fine, but still shouldn't post here. JMHO.
I've been to British car shows where a guy shows up with a SBC in say, an Austin Healey, and nobody talks to him. The same car at a car cruise or hot rod show is a different story.

Early Barracuda? Who needs a Chevy under the hood?

Ed Fox2.jpg

-
Back