Scamp gets open body surgery!

-

EvilScamp

Reaction score
Since the Duster is at a stand still until spring until i will be able to get some color on it i decided to start slicing into the Scamp.
Turns out it's a little worse than i thought qtrs.,trunk floor exts.,some of the trunk floor is bad along with a good portion of the outer wheelhouses.
Looks like i got alot of metal work ahead of me!
Should be enough to keep me busy all winter.

198067620.gif

198067614.gif

198067625.gif

You love diving in them dont you. Your going to have to open your own shop soon.

Heck Kev if I ever get into your area I might stop by to pour a couple cold ones down and take a few notes. sounds like your just another body pro!

doesnt look that bad from here EH!

You're a brave man, Evilscamp. Looks like it'll make it easier to get that rear window regulator out though.

Hey, Evilscamp. If possible, can you take a close up of the area below the rear window regulator and just behind where the back of the door closes? (Hope that makes sense). I have a small rusted area on the bottom of the sill, and was wondering if there is a drain hole plugged up in there. Thanks.

AdamR said:
You love diving in them dont you. Your going to have to open your own shop soon.

I admit it i like doing this kinda stuff,and it keeps me out of trouble.:evil2:

dresselman said:
Hey, Evilscamp. If possible, can you take a close up of the area below the rear window regulator and just behind where the back of the door closes? (Hope that makes sense). I have a small rusted area on the bottom of the sill, and was wondering if there is a drain hole plugged up in there. Thanks.

I'll get a pic. this week for you although i'm not sure if it will help my sill is rotted to.

Cerwin said:
Heck Kev if I ever get into your area I might stop by to pour a couple cold ones down and take a few notes. sounds like your just another body pro!

doesnt look that bad from here EH!

I'm far from a pro,a lot of what i did on my Duster was learn as i go.
Unfortunately the Scamp needs more metal work than the Duster did so i'm gonna have my hands full with it.

As for you stopping by drop in anytime,just be ready to do some work!:-D

Thanks, Evilscamp. Worse case scenario I could pull the back seat and the door panel to peek down in there, but I figured as long as you have it apart.... from your picture it looks like there is a double wall there. Thats why I wondered if there are weep holes.

EvilScamp,

Thats the way to open it up, I have to do the same thing to mine this winter except to a greater degree, starting to strip it down to the bare metal now. Take notes as I am sure I will have some questions. You look like you know what you are doing. It will turn out great I am sure!!

EvilScamp said:
I'm far from a pro,a lot of what i did on my Duster was learn as i go.
Unfortunately the Scamp needs more metal work than the Duster did so i'm gonna have my hands full with it.

As for you stopping by drop in anytime,just be ready to do some work!:-D

Ahhh dont tease me so.

workin on my nice mopar is my life! but then again owning a nice mopar takes a life of working on! haha.. if you dont laugh your not really a moparian! :headbang:

Cerwin

Cut the right qtr. off ,it's no better than the left side is.
So now i either gotta fix the outer wheelhouses,find good used one's or possibly mini-tub it.
The parts of the trunk floor and inner wheelhouses that are bad i can fix with pieces from a donor car but the outer wheelhouses in the donor are no good either.
201046452.gif

201046434.gif

201046475.gif

The left side iner wheelhouse.
201046500.gif

201046452.gif

201046434.gif

201046475.gif

201046500.gif

I thought my Dart had problems, but the are nothing compared to your Scamp. I just removed part of the pass side rear qtr on my Dart today. Will post a thread & pics.

EvilScamp said:
I admit it i like doing this kinda stuff,and it keeps me out of trouble.:evil2:
haha i can relate, sure body work has its times of swearing but i generaly enjoy it, dont hear that to often

AdamR said:
Good luck Kev. I say Mini tub it.

Well after some pondering and checking on prices for outer wheelhouses from the western junkyards i decided what i'm gonna do with it.
Take Adam's advice and tub it,i also figured while i'm at it move the springs in ad a rollcage and i'm also gonna cut the trunk floor out to do away with the spare tire well in the floor and try my hand at fabricating a new trunk floor.

I know this has been discussed before BUT:

You guys up North truly are Mopar Kings. Most of us peole in places where there is no real winter are spoiled. It takes real dedication, work, knowledge and in this case: GUTS (do I have the heart to minitub?) to do what a lot of you guys have to do to have a decent old car. I got my 74 rust-free for $500 and I complained about the front end damage. Needs: grill, fender replaced. BOO-HOO for me. Good luck with the Scamp.

khughesprime said:
I know this has been discussed before BUT:

You guys up North truly are Mopar Kings. Most of us peole in places where there is no real winter are spoiled. It takes real dedication, work, knowledge and in this case: GUTS (do I have the heart to minitub?) to do what a lot of you guys have to do to have a decent old car. I got my 74 rust-free for $500 and I complained about the front end damage. Needs: grill, fender replaced. BOO-HOO for me. Good luck with the Scamp.

Most of our cars here in the rust-belt are rotted,patched,patched and repatched!
Finding a solid car in these parts are far and very few between.

EvilScamp said:
Most of our cars here in the rust-belt are rotted,patched,patched and repatched!
Finding a solid car in these parts are far and very few between.

hes right

I was just about to post that I have the rear wheel houses we cut out of my 73 Scamp. They are in very good condition with just some slight rust around the outer wheel opening edges. Most of it was on the quarters (and not much there either) and not actually on the wheel house.

The trunk floor, frame rails, and interior floor are already taken.

I've got bumpers, front fenders, hood, and various and sundry other parts if you are interested. Just PM me.

man my pannels are gonna be a pain to luckly not as rusted as yours, keep us posted i wanna see how it turns out, hell maybe i should do this to my cuda

Guitar Jones said:
I was just about to post that I have the rear wheel houses we cut out of my 73 Scamp. They are in very good condition with just some slight rust around the outer wheel opening edges. Most of it was on the quarters (and not much there either) and not actually on the wheel house.

The trunk floor, frame rails, and interior floor are already taken.

I've got bumpers, front fenders, hood, and various and sundry other parts if you are interested. Just PM me.

PM sent!

-
Back