Scamp gets open body surgery!

-
Kev, Let me know when you have the cooler full of beer. I'll come lend a hand. I never did get to look under the Duster! :drinkers:

The surgery continues.
Wheelhouse all cut out.
208709749.jpg

Got everything trimmed out to make enough room for the new tubs.
208709744.jpg

Since i had to cut all the way into the frame to make enough room i have to weld the frame and floor back together again to make everything solid again.
I have the spring relocation kit ordered so i wanna put them in before i put the tubs in because it's gonna be alot easier to do with everything cut out of the way.
The wood blocks in the pic. are for support,with all of the supports and qtrs. cut off i didn't want to take a chance and have things sag.

Wow, you're going all the way back to the frame rails.... taking it one or two steps more then me. Keep posting the pics!

Lookin Good ! A suggestion though.... Weld in some supports instead of using the wood blocks, With that much cut away, the car is bound to "shift" :thumbup:

H22A4 said:
Wow, you're going all the way back to the frame rails.... taking it one or two steps more then me. Keep posting the pics!

Going to the frame and moving the springs in i'll be able to run a 12inch wide tire.:twisted:

Eric_S68 said:
Lookin Good ! A suggestion though.... Weld in some supports instead of using the wood blocks, With that much cut away, the car is bound to "shift" :thumbup:

So far nothing has moved,the other wheelhouse is still intact so it should help to support things for now.
Eventually i'm gonna put in a cage and frame connectors so i can tie everything together.

I haven't posted any pics. for a while so here's what i been doing.
Got the frame and floor welded back together.
212649794.jpg

Started on the spring relocation,everything is just tacked in for now until i get the other side relocated then if i have to tweak anything it will be easier just cutting the tacks off.
212649787.jpg

212649799.jpg

I also pulled the rear out and pulled off the exhaust system.
And yesterday i got the wheelwell cut out of the right side,still needs to be trimmed out for the tub.
212649796.jpg

And just for the hell of it here are my parts cars.
212649791.jpg

We used a piece of tubing tacked to the very rear of the rear frame rails and a plate on the bottom on the floor just to keep things from sagging and the rear window from blowing out.

Otherwise it looks good.

Looks good Kev. Wish I though of this before you started cutting but you should have moved the rear back 1" to gain some tire clearance at the front of the quarter panel.

Any idea what tire / rims your going to run ? I cant decide myself.

Guitar Jones said:
We used a piece of tubing tacked to the very rear of the rear frame rails and a plate on the bottom on the floor just to keep things from sagging and the rear window from blowing out.

Otherwise it looks good.

I have jackstands just ahead of where i cut the frame and i blocked up the very rear of the frame so nothing can sag,hopefully!

AdamR said:
Looks good Kev. Wish I though of this before you started cutting but you should have moved the rear back 1" to gain some tire clearance at the front of the quarter panel.

Any idea what tire / rims your going to run ? I cant decide myself.

I didn't think of moving the rear back, i think it will be ok the way it is.

I don't know exact tire size yet but it will now fit a 12inch wide tire,stock the biggest i could get under it was 9inch.
Wheels i gonna bump up to a 15X10 rear and 15X5 or 6 on the front,i planning on running steelies on the back and maybe a set of Torque Thrusts on the front.
I like that old race car look.

Guitar Jones said:
I'd suggest just cutting the rocker and stretching the wheel well for a taller tire.

I'm gonna keep the wheel opening stock and just stuff as much baloney under it as possible!:burnout:

With the trunk floor cut out i made these braces for the fuel cell to sit on and the new trunk floor to mount to.
I have a bead roller ordered should be here this week so i should be able to start making the trunk floor within the next week or 2.
222135205.jpg

Underneath,the tabs are for the mounts for the exhaust hangers.
222135214.jpg

Haven't been making alot of major progress but i'm getting a bunch of smaller stuff taken care of first.

Hay evil it sure is lookin good man. :headbang:

A little at a time is good. :coffee2:

A quick history of what my plan was!
I was gonna have one of the so-called metal fabricating shops make me a trunk floor since i didn't have the tools bead-roller,metal brake etc.
But as luck would have it neither place could make what i wanted,one place even told me it was just to much trouble to pull out there bead-roller since it hadn't been used in a long time! WTF!!!
So i said screw them and went and bought a bead-roller a metal shear and i'm going to pick up a metal brake on Sat.
This is what i have so far,it's fitting pretty good just some slight trimming yet to do and some cleanup on the frame left to do.
Plus i still need to roll a couple beads into it.
Sorry the pics. aren't very good.
227272722.jpg

227272715.jpg

The bead-roller i bought is made to mount in the vise but i didn't like that so i made this to mount it to my manual tire machine.
227272720.jpg

With a little luck it will be done and welded in by Sunday afternoon.

227272722.jpg

227272715.jpg

227272720.jpg

-
Back