SCAMS

-

mikedevore

Reaction score
Posted an item on Craigslist.
Got a text reply 30 minutes later.
He wants my item.
Mailed me a certified cashiers check from a credit union.
It is for 1200.00 more than what I sold it to him.
He wants me to deposit the check & notify him when it clears.
Then he will send the "movers" to pick up the item & give them the excess cash.

Now, what tipped me off was the spelling in text.
He has a New York area code & the check is on a CU from the Mid-west.
The item sold doesn't require "movers", you can pick it up with one in each hand.
He has been impatient, even making an actual call.
Could not understand (foreign) him & asked him which item he was calling about. He was unable to tell me that.

I told him to bring me the exact dollars in cash.
He tracked the check here & knows it arrived.
I have no plans of dealing with this guy or depositing his check.

Thoughts?

Scam. Bank will tell you the cheque cleared. It didn't actually clear, they are just too lazy to check. Couple months down the road they will find the cheque didn't actually clear, come to you for the money. Nevermind they told you it was ok, that's not their fault, its yours.

Scam. Bank will tell you the cheque cleared. It didn't actually clear, they are just too lazy to check. Couple months down the road they will find the cheque didn't actually clear, come to you for the money. Nevermind they told you it was ok, that's not their fault, its yours.
My thoughts exactly.

1200.00 more than the selling price? And you have to ask ?
I just got 2 scam texts too. asking if my item was still for sale, any fool can see when the add was posted. I texted them back and tell them, I just posted the add, never hear from them again ! Even had a girl supposedly out on a ship, she was going to send her uncle by to pick the item up. unseen too!---idiots !

Tell them no shipping until check actually clears and your bank requires up to 6 weeks. Call the credit union that issued the check and clue them in to the scammer.
They never know what the "item" is.

Sounds like the same foreign scammer that calls once a month telling me he'll send the police to arrest me if I don't file my income tax for last year and send the taxes I owe to the P.O. Box he wants to give me. I tell him if I didn't file my taxes, I would not have gotten a refund check. He says he's calling the police. I tell him to skip the police and call the FBI as i am doing the same, that way his agent can meet my agent for lunch.

My wife cracks up if Jake answers the phone when a scammer or telemarketer calls. He had 2 yrs of Spanish in high school and knows enough of it to be dangerous. He'll answer the phone in English, then say he only speaks Spanish. If the caller responds in Spanish, he then says he only speaks English. If they don't hang up on him by then, he starts asking them what they are wearing. He tells them he is wearing khakis because he is Jake from State Farm and tells them they sound pretty hot in what they are wearing..... they hang up pretty quick and remove us from their calling list.

Last edited:
Sounds like the same foreign scammer that calls once a month telling me he'll send the police to arrest me if I don't file my income tax for last year and send the taxes I owe to the P.O. Box he wants to give me. I tell him if I didn't file my taxes, I would not have gotten a refund check. He says he's calling the police. I tell him to skip the police and call the FBI as i am doing the same, that way his agent can meet my agent for lunch.

My wife cracks up if Jake answers the phone when a scammer or telemarketer calls. He had 2 yrs of Spanish in high school and knows enough of it to be dangerous. He'll answer the phone in English, then say he only speaks Spanish. If the caller responds in Spanish, he then says he only speaks English. If they don't hang up on him by then, he starts asking them what they are wearing. He tells them he is wearing khakis because he is Jake from State Farm and tells them they sound pretty hot in what they are wearing..... they hang up pretty quick and remote us from their calling list.

That's what zydeco song lyrics are for as well!! I keep telling them that the snap beans are not salty, but they just don't seem to understand!!

I had a similar instance several years ago. I received a money order. My bank said it was good. I didn't send the funds he asked for and he would call me making threats.ultimately talked to the FBI and was told they have been trying catch this team. They are getting millions of dollars from people to fund military fronts who are fighting against our nation. Just saw locally that someone actually sent back 15,000 when the check cleared. Now guess how that retired gentleman is going to pay the money back to wells Fargo

How do you know for sure it's a scam?
It might be someone who is just generous.
The problem today is that too many people just don't trust strangers enough............

I had a similar instance several years ago. I received a money order. My bank said it was good. I didn't send the funds he asked for and he would call me making threats.ultimately talked to the FBI and was told they have been trying catch this team. They are getting millions of dollars from people to fund military fronts who are fighting against our nation. Just saw locally that someone actually sent back 15,000 when the check cleared. Now guess how that retired gentleman is going to pay the money back to wells Fargo

And this is the extra bullshit part of it. If the bank tell's you a cheque is good and has cleared. Then their *** should be on the line for the cash. Not yours.

In my case it was a money order and the bank verified it was real. I didn't lose anything though. Wells Fargo, who I was banking with is as screwed up as some members of our government.

In my case it was a money order and the bank verified it was real. I didn't lose anything though. Wells Fargo, who I was banking with is as screwed up as some members of our government.
agree w/ that. I had a check written on a wells fargo bank once, I received for a part. no one would cash it other than wells fargo.

When I was carrying mail, there was an older lady who was having things sent to her house, she in turn was taking these items and re-send them to Nigeria. I'm talking 10-20 packages every few days. I know, because I was delivering them.
Then all of a sudden it stopped.
But I'd go by her house with the mail, and there would be a couple of packages sitting there with USPS postage on them. I took a pic, showed it to post master, he told me to mind my own business.
Turns out the postal inspectors were on this.
I heard that the lady was being duped, but it ended badly for her. All the money she spent to send packages was of course stolen, so she was stuck with a few grand there. The packages that the inspectors were leaving apparently were being GPS tracked. Not sure what happened in Nigeria. The poor lady was just lonely and was taken advantage of.
Now I'm getting some Habib calling with the same IRS Scam others are talking about. I just mess with them hard.

mike: what are you bringing to the track this week end ?
Bringing the Barracuda.
I have a mild 340 in it, should run 6.90's in the 1/8.
Had planned on bringing the Stocker to, but got a front pump seal leaking pretty good.

Just cash the check and spend the money. Sure, you will have to repay it, but hey, I never turn down free money for two months, interest free.

You can always tell it's a scam when they email or text you about your "item". If they don't even know what your selling, wtf. And then any talk about "my agent, or my shipper" is also a dead give away.

-
Back