Scan tools

-

dartman1965

Reaction score
Whats everyone using for scan tools.I am looking for locally not mail order in the 100.00 range or cheaper.Whats everyone think?

I got a cheap $32 yellow one. Just has 3 buttons. <> and erase/reset. Cheaper ones only show codes while more expensive ones may read out fault but OBD2 is not 100% universal in in its codes from auto makers IIRC. I think the crazy $$$ snap on ones can change key fobs and mileage?

I got a harbor freight one with live data about 6 years ago for xmas and I have never needed more than that. They dont make the exact one I have but this is the closest current one
ZR8 OBD2 Code Reader with Live Data
The scanner with ABS costs $120 but I have personally never had any ABS issues with any of my vehicles
the live data is interesting and has made it easier for me to find issues with sensors more than once

I bought the Zurich ZR-13 from HF last October while on the road and having the CEL come on. I haven't used it much, but it has some features that I wanted, like the ability to reset the oil change interval on my BMW. It didn't help much with the CEL problem except to clear the codes. It is an issue that will not show up except under certain weird conditions (quick restroom stop at 2,500 ft elevation or so). It is also a very uncommon code to have set.

I recommend highly that you guys do a search/ research and try to plan ahead for ABS and other issues you may need. My broke -*** old Dakota requires a scanner (which I don't have yet) to properly bleed the brakes, as does my fairly newly bought 04 GMC 1500, which I AM having trouble with

I recommend highly that you guys do a search/ research and try to plan ahead for ABS and other issues you may need. My broke -*** old Dakota requires a scanner (which I don't have yet) to properly bleed the brakes, as does my fairly newly bought 04 GMC 1500, which I AM having trouble with[/QUOTE

Blue Driver will read abs but not activate abs solenoids

1BA14382-FE45-4F64-B71B-A8D46680D0A3.png

I was thinking about the zr13 or zr15 too. I had an air back light on my old buick for ever. Sold the car. zr15 goes on sale for $249 every now and then. I just have a hard time spending that kind of money at harbor freight.

What years are you working on? The more you pay, the more you get. Pishta mentioned OBD codes (for 1996 and newer vehicles). There are generic codes that are the same for all manufacturers and Manufacture specific codes that are well, manufacture specific. The cheaper scanners probably won't read the MFG. codes or you probably won't have any bi-directional capability. (to operate/cycle things like egr valves, canister purge valves and the like.) Get what you can afford.

As mentioned earlier, do your research on scanners & let your budget be your guide. Opting for the cheapest scanner out there might be a receipt for disaster. And as mentioned, plan ahead for possible future vehicles you may acquire.

TMM, I figured you would agree with me. Us old farts have a way of analyzing things to the point of being ridiculous. LOL

What years are you working on? The more you pay, the more you get. Pishta mentioned OBD codes (for 1996 and newer vehicles). There are generic codes that are the same for all manufacturers and Manufacture specific codes that are well, manufacture specific. The cheaper scanners probably won't read the MFG. codes or you probably won't have any bi-directional capability. (to operate/cycle things like egr valves, canister purge valves and the like.) Get what you can afford.

Right now I have a 97 dakota,a 2003 Chrysler town and country and my daughters 2006 pontiac G6......
You won't get much info from the Dakota but the T&C and the G6 has a lot more going on.

Hey dartman, where a bouts do you live? (Near what "big" town?) Maybe someone else on here that's close and has a scanner can help?

Yeah I've hadah few over the years,jus j bit the bullet and bought a new snap on Solus about A month ago. I had one of the original Solus ones But it isn't updateable past 2014, and I had to lie to it if I had to scan anything newer, try putting the "8th Vin digit" in and it would take me back to vehicles that were out in 1985 instead. So I sold that one to put down $$ on the new one. I also have a generic action one that is sometimes a little bit useful but not as much as the snap on is. We have a otc genisys at work that seems easier for GM's but the snap on is easier and more user friendly for the Mopar stuff that I have had to work on. None will do everything, ideally if you need that, you'd need 1 each of the factory scanners as the dealers have but we all know that isn't real practical for most of is.
I have 1 test that ihavI been needing to run on my Durango that I had to run down the street to the stealership to get done because none of the aftermarket scanners I have or have had access to could. And that is a2001..... I hate newer cars. Which is why I most recently bought a 85 D150 with a slant 6 in it

You won't get much info from the Dakota but the T&C and the G6 has a lot more going on.

The formerly know as the much hated 95 Olds was that in-between BS with OBD1 "is it?" or OBD2 "is it?" I had a scanner would not work, neither will the loaner ones from the parts stores. GM and whoever else did this should have their *** kicked

Hey dartman, where a bouts do you live? (Near what "big" town?) Maybe someone else on here that's close and has a scanner can help?

Yeah I've hadah few over the years,jus j bit the bullet and bought a new snap on Solus about A month ago. I had one of the original Solus ones But it isn't updateable past 2014, and I had to lie to it if I had to scan anything newer, try putting the "8th Vin digit" in and it would take me back to vehicles that were out in 1985 instead. So I sold that one to put down $$ on the new one. I also have a generic action one that is sometimes a little bit useful but not as much as the snap on is. We have a otc genisys at work that seems easier for GM's but the snap on is easier and more user friendly for the Mopar stuff that I have had to work on. None will do everything, ideally if you need that, you'd need 1 each of the factory scanners as the dealers have but we all know that isn't real practical for most of is.
I have 1 test that ihavI been needing to run on my Durango that I had to run down the street to the stealership to get done because none of the aftermarket scanners I have or have had access to could. And that is a2001..... I hate newer cars. Which is why I most recently bought a 85 D150 with a slant 6 in it

Hey Volaredon,I'm in Bay City Mi and the largest city is Saginaw.BC is in the bay between the thumb and index finger

Depends on if you're doing this professionally or DIYer

For a shop, where you don't know what's coming through the door next, not all scanners are created equal.

There are 7 digit trouble codes now a days, and a better, more expensive scanner can do it all. There are a lot of manufacturer specific enhanced codes "EOBD2 codes" that we didn't have pre 2010.

Obd 2 might have the same connector from 96 and up but it has evolved and is definitely not what it was in 1996. We have moved a long way from the old KOEO/KOER scans to the newer SAE J-2012DA protocol. Most people don't know about OBD 1.5, so it can get pretty deep.

So it depends what you're working on and If you're doing it professionally or not.

-
Back