Scarebird front disc set up good-bad?

-

bnichols

Reaction score
Looking at possibly going this route on my 70 Dart anyone have any experience with this set up??

I ran one on my 68 for a while. Bought their kit and the rest of the stuff you need from Napa. Waaay better than the stock 9 inch drums, but I would upgrade to the 10 inch brake spindles if I were to do it again.

Why not get 73 & up factory stuff? And never worry about it.

I use Scarebird on my 64 Dart. Stops great and easy to do. I used a 15/16 manual disk brake master cylinder and an adjustable brake proportional valve. Bend a few new lines and that's it.

Im a bit leary of anything with the word scare and brakes in the same sentence.

The Scarebird stuff is quality. I helped a friend do a conversion about two years ago. It uses quality brackets that take advantage of late model, easy to find parts, instead of having to hunt up 50 plus year old junk and pay someone's ridiculous bend you over the table prices. It's a no brainer.

It just a matter of time before a new owner comes here asking "What brakes do I have? What parts do I search for?". Then they learn Chevy or Toyota or other depending on what generation of Scarebird brakes it is. I imagine his reply... A mind blown emoji. LOL
We screw these old girls around all sorts of ways without ever considering the next owner. Scarebird is just one more example.
The only correct disc brakes were also aftermarket i.e. Kelsey-Hayes. The difference is their appearing in factory service manuals, parts listings, etc...
I can't make my comment read as a positive or negative. Observations at best. Good luck

i have never seen anything bad posted about their stuff. its all proven over the counter stuff so not sure how it can't work well

We screw these old girls around all sorts of ways without ever considering the next owner. Scarebird is just one more example.

an owner like myself has a binder with receipts and instructions for just about every little thing installed on the car. yes it may take some leg work to figure out what is on the car but scarebird parts are pretty easy to match up at the parts store.

If you are building something that you are going to drive and enjoy, the Scarebird kit is an excellent choice. If you are more concerned with restoring your vehicle and the potential resale values, then you may want to go the factory route.

Used a Scarebird kit on my 52 Plym, works well, instructions could have been a little more detailed for a first timer like me.

It just a matter of time before a new owner comes here asking "What brakes do I have? What parts do I search for?". Then they learn Chevy or Toyota or other depending on what generation of Scarebird brakes it is. I imagine his reply... A mind blown emoji. LOL
The only correct disc brakes were also aftermarket i.e. Kelsey-Hayes. The difference is their appearing in factory service manuals, parts listings, etc...
I can't make my comment read as a positive or negative. Observations at best. Good luck

I don’t build my cars for the next owner, I build them to enjoy myself. If and when I sell any of my cars, they will come with the list of modifications I’ve made and parts they use, because I have those lists so I can replace all the wearable parts that aren’t stock. Hell for most of my cars I’ll give the new owner a usb drive with all the pictures of the modifications and a link to my build threads. Problem solved.

It’s pretty much a given that any 40+ year old car will have some non-stock parts or modifications. Some may be high quality upgrades, some may be shade tree BS. Which is exactly why you don’t just assume that everything is stock, you look at part numbers or take the old part with you when you buy the replacement so you can see if it’s the same.

And if the new owner can’t figure that out, they can buy new brakes just like I did and convert it back or upgrade it again to whatever they want.

Yea, no way I was gonna try and dig up factory Kelsey Hayes stuff for my 4 door. All the parts for the scarebird in parts stores all over, last time I looked the instructions and parts list were posted on the website.

Worked for me.

I have Scarebird on my 71 Swinger. Its...ok and was a cheap way to get disks while keeping the SBP wheels. If I go BBP I will be going with one of the many BBP big brake kits and leaving the Scarebird on the shelf.

I have Scarebird on my 71 Swinger. Its...ok and was a cheap way to get disks while keeping the SBP wheels. If I go BBP I will be going with one of the many BBP big brake kits and leaving the Scarebird on the shelf.
Well if you decide to do that let me know I would be interested in buying the scarebird stuff. Brett

Will do. Depending on how long this Corona **** goes I might be doing the brakes sooner rather than later.

-
Back