Scat VS Eagle

-

69valiant21

Reaction score
I did a quick search but couldnt find anything really specific. If I missed something please send me the link. Otherwise....Scat vs Eagle for a 408 rotating assembly...GO!

Went with 408 Scat forged kit. Just starting to assemble it.

20170401_211152.jpg

Liked the forged crank better. Plus Hughes Engines had the kit I wanted for the compression I wanted also.

The Scat kit with the 4340 I beam rods do not have any clearance problems...Eagle I beams are a lesser grade 5140 steel.....any of the H beams will require clearance grinding on the bottom of the cylinder.

The Scat kit with the 4340 I beam rods do not have any clearance problems...Eagle I beams are a lesser grade 5140 steel.....
This got me curious enough to look up the 2 materials properties; the 4340 indeed generally has high tensile and yield strengths. (Though that will vary with the heat treatment used by the manufacturer.) Interesting...

Weren't the Eagle cast steel cranks the ones that were breaking?

Weren't the Eagle cast steel cranks the ones that were breaking?

Yep.

And people with cast Scat cranks that ran them in applications past their limits (~500-525 hp or near with slicks, lot of converter, suspension, etc things that hit hard)

Yep.

And people with cast Scat cranks that ran them in applications past their limits (~500-525 hp or near with slicks, lot of converter, suspension, etc things that hit hard)
I always heard that scats were a hair better than eagle, but I haven`t used anything but forged.

I bought one, ( Scat casting....) was ground perfect ,to minimum spec, in 2006... radius was decent ,a bi*ch to balance, with my factory reworked rods.. ( buy the budget Scat rods, and some forged pistons....Spend the money once,to balance it.....) My 2 cents.....

-
Back