School me on NHRA drag racing classes...

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
As my Duster gets closer to being fit enough for racing I am wondering if I could get involved in amateur drag racing at my local drag strip (Bandimere Speedway in Morrison, CO). I am pretty clueless on classes and such and I don't know what my car would fall under. I would also rather not do bracket racing as it doesn't seem like the kind of competition I would have fun with but from what I've seen it seems like slower street-rod type builds like mine don't have any other options. My car is a '70 Duster with a 360 I built myself which replaced the original 318, it weighs around 3300 lbs. with driver and half-tank of gas. I took it to a test & tune night and ran a best of 15.3 @ 93 ET and that was with crappy bald rear tires and stock 7 1/4" rear with 2.76 gears, I think it could hit low 14's at this elevation with the correct chassis/rear end setup and some tuning.

You can go to NHRA.com on the left side
Of the home screen there are subjects to click. You'll know which one.

I suggest that you attend a Drag Race at Bandimere, where the NHRA classes are running..

Stock elminator requires an engine that came in the vehicle for that year.....318 or 340...a 360 would not be legal for 70-71 Duster...plus stock elminator has set preformance levels...and elmination is bracket racing unless you run a car in your own class...then it is heads up...

A competitive Stock Elminator car is not cheap....LOL

Super Street...is a 10.90 class at sea level...dont know the correction for Bandimere..probably high 11s....It is bascially heads up bracket racing as you still can break out....

You best bet is to learn how to race ...yes Bracket race...learn how to get the most of what you have...Attent the races and ask questions.

Not sure what you have done to that 360, but even mild with decent chassis, tires and gearing should get you a mid-low 13 in a duster

As Bob said, the street bracket. You'll also fit in to the non-electronics class i presume, but you may try street at first to get the hang of it.

I also started racing last year at Bandimere. I did some test n tunes and did a few Club Clash Races (bracket racing). The bracket racing is more fun than I thought it would be. Mostly because the people who do it are weekend warriors like myself and my car is fairly slow.

If you do Club Clash, there are many teams to choose from and we all have a good time.

And yes, our elevation kills our quarter mile times!! haha.

I drag race in IHRA so can't help on classes. But get out there and get your car tech inspected and then bracket race to learn the system and how fast you want to run. More speed is more $$. Stock eliminator classes are high dollar as specifications are very tight and blueprinting of engine is mandatory to be competitive. Just get out there and learn and have fun. You will spend a lot of time just getting coordination to starting lights. That is where the whole race is won. Just get started, have fun, and decide how fast you want to go.

As my Duster gets closer to being fit enough for racing I am wondering if I could get involved in amateur drag racing at my local drag strip (Bandimere Speedway in Morrison, CO). I am pretty clueless on classes and such and I don't know what my car would fall under. I would also rather not do bracket racing as it doesn't seem like the kind of competition I would have fun with but from what I've seen it seems like slower street-rod type builds like mine don't have any other options. My car is a '70 Duster with a 360 I built myself which replaced the original 318, it weighs around 3300 lbs. with driver and half-tank of gas. I took it to a test & tune night and ran a best of 15.3 @ 93 ET and that was with crappy bald rear tires and stock 7 1/4" rear with 2.76 gears, I think it could hit low 14's at this elevation with the correct chassis/rear end setup and some tuning.

I grew up in Colorado, and raced at Bandimere until I moved out to Indy 6 years ago. I think there program is roughly the same as it was then. You can race in the street category of the Penzoil ET series on Friday nights, or Saturday (I forget which, possibly both). They used to have a category called run-tuff which you could also try (no electronics, no trans brake)...and Wednesday nights are test nights, pretty much run anything for time only.

I used to run King Street out there, which is 12.75 and faster, street legal, plated, insured, mufflers, dot tires, etc...my car was running a 360 on a 180 shot of N2O was running 11.1 @ 122 mph.

They also have an all Mopar day (or at least they did) which is fun.

If you are planning on racing, GET RID OF THE 7 1/4 REAR ASAP!! You will brake it as soon as you put some sticky tires on (or probably sooner).

If is helps, my old 360 combo without N2O ran ~ 13.8-13.5. That was 10.7:1 comp, 509 purple cam, Eddy heads OOTB, 4:10 gear. A lot of the folks from low altitude just don't understand how much slower cars run up there... especially if it is a hot summer day with a density altitude of 10,000+ feet

A lot of the folks from low altitude just don't understand how much slower cars run up there... especially if it is a hot summer day with a density altitude of 10,000+ feet[/QUOTE]

Yes exactly!!!!

The only competitive drag racing for you is bracket racing. NHRA class racing is simply too restrictive and expensive for hobbyists with our street-driven cars.
Bracket racing is a lot of fun - for both the slow and the quick. If you're one of the slower cars in the bracket, you'll get a thrill from holding off a hard-charging quicker car. And if you get to be one of the quicker cars, you'll get your thrill by chasing down that slower car that got the green and left before you did.
Suggest you concentrate on getting your car consistent from pass to pass and perfect your starting line routine to cut the best light possible. The entire key to bracket racing is a quick reaction time, good launch and consistency.
Get out there, learn the ropes, and have fun!

A lot of the folks from low altitude just don't understand how much slower cars run up there... especially if it is a hot summer day with a density altitude of 10,000+ feet

Yes exactly!!!![/QUOTE]

I guess I forgot about his location when I thought his 360 should run faster :eek:ops:

I think he may mean a understanding of what letter category a d or sub division classes to run in. Like the Mean Street series or street series or will his car got into "Pro" or not.

This is great advice thanks guys... I was asking in a more general sense what options I have for racing. I have an early B-body 8 3/4" waiting to get swapped in which I will definitely do before I start racing at all. However it has 2.94 gears which is great for road trips but not the strip, I plan on getting another 3rd member with 3.91 gears and sure-grip for that. I suppose I'll give the bracket racing a shot, not like I have any other choices lol.

-
Back