Screw off, 'cable guy'

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Finally told the TV cable people to stick it. I only have "basic" and that's bad enough, they want you to believe that you have about 20 channels, but when you break it all down..............

Local 2 - 4 - 6 - 7 - 12 - 28-1 is network Fox,
I don't need cable for THOSE

Then you subtract the 24 hour shopping channels, the 24 hour preach channel, and the political BS (MSNBC er whatever)

and there's only about 2 other channels that I'd want to watch, which I cannot get on the air

So last week several channels went dark "you need" a .........."free"......... converter box.

Well they claim you can "get one free."

I need two.............how else am I gonna use the bedroom TV? "Well that costs extra"

Plus.................after January, it/ they aren't "free" anymore

So I told her "I have a better idea................"

that's why I don't have cable. I have a TV and a DVD player only and a few dvds....all my favorites I never tired of, like "wreck it ralph", "Harry Potter" and "vanishing point"(original) and a few others, mostly the Disney movies that make me happy.

there is much better life to live than wasting time watching commercials all day

Finally told the TV cable people to stick it. I only have "basic" and that's bad enough, they want you to believe that you have about 20 channels, but when you break it all down..............

I don't need cable for THOSEI don't think you need those regardless

Then you subtract the 24 hour shopping channels, the 24 hour preach channel, and the political BS (MSNBC er whatever)

and there's only about 2 other channels that I'd want to watch, which I cannot get on the air

So last week several channels went dark "you need" a .........."free"......... converter box.

Well they claim you can "get one free."

I need two.............how else am I gonna use the bedroom TV? "Well that costs extra"

Plus.................after January, it/ they aren't "free" anymore

So I told her "I have a better idea................"

I went this way 3 years ago and i'll never look back. I have netflix and its better than cable. And only costs 7 bucks(for streaming only)

that's why I don't have cable. I have a TV and a DVD player only and a few dvds....all my favorites I never tired of, like "wreck it ralph", "Harry Potter" and "vanishing point"(original) and a few others, mostly the Disney movies that make me happy.

there is much better life to live than wasting time watching commercials all day

Well I didn't use'to watch much at all, but nowadays I'm getting older, and get tired easily, and in pain. Reading is much more difficult as I get sleepy.

So there is more times that I "need a break" and just want to "veg."

I'll probably "netflix" some LOL

The on-the-air Fox affilliate here broadcasts what they call "THIS" network which plays old movies. I watch that some.

I used to watch quite a bit of PBS, but they have become so overwhelmingly biased liberal that I cannot stand much of it, and they are very overloaded with that BS. Plus I detest Martha Stewart. I don't know why it is that PBS needs to have a convicted felon on their network!!!!!

I don't need cable for THOSE

Man, you said a mouthful, bruthuh.......oh, and let's not forget the 150 or so spanish language channels that are part of those "250 channels" that they so loudly proclaim. The sports channels can go too. I think I've had my fill of "World's Funniest Videos" of people falling off their skateboard or eating it on a dirt bike/lawn tractor.

I'm about a hair away from doing the same exact thing......as a matter of fact, I might just do that this week. Nothing like dropping about $150/month for my cable/internet/home phone + $150 Verizon cellphone!! Unfortunately, I'm not even sure if I can get those basic channels out where I live in the desert.

Man, you said a mouthful, bruthuh.......oh, and let's not forget the 150 or so spanish language channels that are part of those "250 channels" that they so loudly proclaim. The sports channels can go too. I think I've had my fill of "World's Funniest Videos" of people falling off their skateboard or eating it on a dirt bike/lawn tractor.

I'm about a hair away from doing the same exact thing......as a matter of fact, I might just do that this week. Nothing like dropping about $150/month for my cable/internet/home phone + $150 Verizon cellphone!! Unfortunately, I'm not even sure if I can get those basic channels out where I live in the desert.

150 spanish channels?

My parents have comcast, its like 4 spanish channels, 6 russian channels and like 20 asian language channels.(you'd think of all things, those would be the ones someone should pay extra for)

We don't have cable out here. After years on satellite and seeing all the "good deals" offered to new customers only, I disconnected the satellite. Been without like 8 years now. To hell with all of um.

A couple years ago, my cable and internet went up again and was getting ready to go up again. I decided to drop the cable and just keep the internet, so I just turned my box in. Within three hours, someone called me and begged me to renew my service. After I said no several times, they offered to lock me in for two years without a contract for half of what I was paying before.

The other thing I do when I get tired of paying what I'm paying is I call and ask for their retention department. I tell them I think I'm paying too much and want a better deal. I usually get some kind of discount.

Mine wasn't really all that expensive, compared to "most" of my neighbors. Seems like all of em are payin' over 150 a month, some of that is combined phone. (I have a cell, another long story)

About 57 a month for "slowed down" internet and "basic" analog TV. There's a huge bunch of crap that I just won't watch.

So this should get internet down to? 25-30 a month

I've always done with whatever the bunny ears or later on converter box gave me for free
(THIS is a great channel) about a year ago me and the wifey bought a duplex, we moved into on side and her parents moved into the other side
I made sure I was home when the satellite installer showed up and had him run an extra wire into my living room :)

only downside is my inlaws are Hispanic so a lot of their channel are in Spanish aswell
one day I was flicking through the channels when I came across a movie called "top gun"
now, the way I remember it top gun is a movie about a school for the best fighter pilots in the world but apparently top gun esta una pericula de un escuela de avionas mas major dell mundo

We dropped cable 15 years ago. Didn't watch that much anyway, maybe just in the evenings for a movie. I figured I was paying too much back then. It was like $23 per month! about 6-7 years later my inlaws thought we needed TV so they bought us a Dish, it started out at $19.95 a month. Two years ago we dropped dish altogether, as we had been paying $79 and it was going to jump up to $150. Now we have Netflix. Eight bucks a month. Its all the TV we need. I'm saving of over $1,500 per year.

If you do a little looking you can find all your shows for free on the web after they have been publicly broadcast , I spend an hour or 2 at the local internet cafe downloading the3 or 4 shows I watch in a week and haven't even bothered to buy a TV in the 9 years since I moved to Victoria .

Apparently those contracts aren't renewed in many regions.
Mom is currently bent out of shape because local Dish dropped CBS. No more Good Wife, NCIS, etc... Pop has to have his ESPN though.
I could buy them a antenna but they couldn't figure out how to change the input on the TV. Already tried that with the DVD player.

I put up the antenna last year, 44 channels out of Philadelphia. About 5 Spanish and 4 religious and all the network channels. I also get a Japanese station , it's interesting and a Russian news channel (both in English). About 4 PBS stations and when they move the transmitters back on the WTC in New York I'll have double that. I bought a ROKU internet TV box for 60.00, they offer 600 channels. About 1/2 are free, the others are about 7.99 a month. I kicked out my cable last year, 80 bucks a month more for my car!!!!!

I tried to do a channel search with an antenna an I got 2 channels one was PBS the other was a NBC station where the local news was so mono toned I couldnt stand it...So I went with Dish and dumped them and now have Direct TV and hate that too...I could live without TV but My sweet heart cant...So happy wife happy life...Tv puts me to sleep...Bill:dontknow:

We don't have cable out here. After years on satellite and seeing all the "good deals" offered to new customers only,

Don't that just frost your shorts, I know it irritates me to no end. I have had Direct TV for years and all I get is the shaft.

Every once in a while we get free premium channels for the weekend, big whoop.

I bought a ROKU internet TV box for 60.00, they offer 600 channels. About 1/2 are free, the others are about 7.99 a month. I kicked out my cable last year, 80 bucks a month more for my car!!!!!

This^^^^. I have the Roku and I love it, we view Netflix, and a lot of the free stuff.

I'll check out ROKU.

Well just a couple of minutes ago I got the last straw of the insult, LOL

A ROBOT called me from time warner wanting me to do a survey!!!!

I'll check out ROKU.

Shop around, as I'm sure you are well aware. I think I got ours for around 55 bucks IIRC.

It operates wireless through your modem with on screen setup. You would need a Netflix account (7.99) a month, but you can search movies, there is also another service on there that is free for older TV shows, also searchable. The video quality is excellent too.

This is the one we have, I bought it locally out of one of the box stores.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Roku-2500R-HD-Streaming-Player/dp/B007KEZMX4/ref=sr_1_4/191-2925493-4271464?ie=UTF8&qid=1382666164&sr=8-4&keywords=roku%27"]Amazon.com: Roku HD Streaming Player: Electronics[/ame]

i have 2 tv's on just cable and no box. i reset the tv's to scan digital/analog and recieved about 100 outher free stations. so much for the blackouts.

If you have a newer tv with a place on the back that is blue and looks like the plug on the back of your computer screen or laptop, you can just buy a longer cable and use your tv as your computer screen and stream/download movies, etc. I did that for a while when I didn'thave cable, and my computer screen broke lol. But, I also had a decent surround for my computer, the tv didnt have sound like that. I never watch tv, so it worked great for me.

I thought about that some time ago, but will have to "upgrade" my cable bandwidth which is at reduced price. This of course is bullshit, because it doesn't cost the cable co. any more to deliver high speed than it does to downgrade my service "because I'm so cheap" LOL and if fact, the latter might cost them MORE because they have to administer that kind of crap.

But it's not news to you, they have more expensive lawyers than we do so...................

That's why God invented INTERNET PIRACY! ;)

I can watch whatever I want on my computer. Better, I can stream most stuff thanks to some certain websites and/or tools.

And really, the only channels I care to get are Discovery, NatGeo, maybe Mil channel, and that's it... And no, you can't have a three-channel deal with the cable company, so Puckett! I got high-speed internets, and that's all I need...

Plus, 99% of TV shows these days are just garbage anyway... Lost, Sons of Anarchy, Seinfeld reruns, SNL went way down the tubes in the past 15 years, Leno is alright but I don't care enough to watch, then you got the propaganda channels; the mainstream media whose sole focus as a TV station is to keep you glued through fear mongering and sensationalist bullshit. No thanks. I'll stick to http://www.southparkstudios.com where I can stream just about any South Park episode I want for free FROM THE CREATORS so it's perfectly legal.

Speaking of which, SPS has episodes I haven't seen yet. brb...

- CK

-
Back