-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
That clinches it, as I'll NEVER live in Phoenix.:D

yeow.jpg

Yeah, but it’s a DRY heat...

Just like a convection oven!

It cooks you extra crispy in just half the time.

Never been to Phoenix but I'm not a big fan of extreme heat.

I dropped someone off at Sky Harbor this afternoon, yes it was a little hot according to my truck thermometer:

120 Out - Copy.jpg

I have a place in Boulder City I go to often. I don't care how hot it gets...it makes my old bones and creaky joints feel great.

I dropped someone off at Sky Harbor this afternoon, yes it was a little hot according to my truck thermometer:

I thought they grounded the planes when it got that hot.
Or did the thermometer being moved to a cooler spot take care of that?

Yeah, but it’s a DRY heat...

Just like a convection oven!

It cooks you extra crispy in just half the time.

Yeah I hate it when people say "but it's a dry heat"...

Put your hand down your *** crack, feel how dry that is...

I actually think it was only 115, I got caught in crawling slow traffic trying to exit the airport so my thermometer was registering some heat radiating off the asphalt. Noticed how I said “only” 115.

I actually think it was only 115, I got caught in crawling slow traffic trying to exit the airport so my thermometer was registering some heat radiating off the asphalt. Noticed how I said “only” 115.

I thought it was more interesting that you chose to explain where the heat came from.
Who cares? :D
115 is still way beyond what a thermometer should ever even go up to.

The "dry heat" thing is a factor. 115* in Barstow was baseball weather. 115* with 60% humidity was HIDE OUT weather. Not even the swamp coolers work in humidity like that. Hiding out in the pool worked until you got out of the pool. Dry in 10 minutes. 5 minutes after that you were wet again, and not in the pool kinda way. I had friends in a lovely little place called Needles on the Colorado River. When they had guests over to play in their pool they went to the ice house and got 300 lbs of ice to put in the pool to make it more comfortable. Got a message from a friend of mine this afternoon in Bridgeport (eastern slope of the Sierra south of Reno). He said he was "dodging lightning bolts like a North American Hispanic at a Mariachi event".

The "dry heat" thing is a factor. 115* in Barstow was baseball weather. 115* with 60% humidity was HIDE OUT weather. Not even the swamp coolers work in humidity like that. Hiding out in the pool worked until you got out of the pool. Dry in 10 minutes. 5 minutes after that you were wet again, and not in the pool kinda way. I had friends in a lovely little place called Needles on the Colorado River. When they had guests over to play in their pool they went to the ice house and got 300 lbs of ice to put in the pool to make it more comfortable. Got a message from a friend of mine this afternoon in Bridgeport (eastern slope of the Sierra south of Reno). He said he was "dodging lightning bolts like a North American Hispanic at a Mariachi event".

I have a friend that likes Lake Havasu, and he called me one time he was there when it was 127 in the shade. (115 as the low for the night)
They were sleeping in a tent at night.
Some people's kids, UGH.

Memphis in August was like that. 115* on the road with 60% humidity. Sweating does no good since it can’t evaporate and cool you.

The worst part was at night it when would only drop to 99* but with 85% humidity.

I will never live in that place again. Between the extreme heat and humidity plus dodging tornadoes...I won’t be back.

Ah, that’s hot!!! I thought it was hot when it was 104 in late May when I was in Chandler ripping some cars around a track. :steering:

I saw 112* in Needles at midnight when I was a kid. My father was working there at the time on I 40. He said it was 127* at 2 that afternoon. I was on a Boy Scout camping trip on the Colorado. We got there at 1AM set up our tents on a grassy knoll right next to the river. We didn't know the river changed levels overnight. When we woke up the next morning the river was 3' from our tents. :rofl:

I saw 112* in Needles at midnight when I was a kid. My father was working there at the time on I 40. He said it was 127* at 2 that afternoon. I was on a Boy Scout camping trip on the Colorado. We got there at 1AM set up our tents on a grassy knoll right next to the river. We didn't know the river changed levels overnight. When we woke up the next morning the river was 3' from our tents.
:rofl:
I did plumbing rough ins in 118* heat when I was in the victor valley area a few times, after having a broken neck. Talk about a ***** , drank everything I could get my hands on for 8-10 hrs in that.
The weather man just said it was going to be dryer here , so it would be a little easier to keep cool.

Last edited:
it is a dry heat!
Until you actually experience it you will not understand.
im from NY moved here 3 years ago its like 80.90 with humility
Yeah I hate it when people say "but it's a dry heat"...

Put your hand down your *** crack, feel how dry that is...

It was 113 here a few weeks ago and its supposed to get almost as hot in the next 2 days. We were camping in Death Valley (yeah, I know....) and it was 118 in the shade. Could have been some radiant heat from the sand but hot as F still. We drove to somehwere in the back of a pickup and went to a spray car wash to cool us all down. It wasnt supposed to be that hot that weekend. Any Vietnam/Gulf Vets? You know both heats: PI got hot too, over 105 with 90+ humidity for days, and the nights were almost worse as you were not moving. But after 2 months I got used to it and was a little cold when I got back in So. Cal! Mom grew up in NE Texas, JHC: We took a tour of the state capitol and heard they conducted business in that hot box in suits and ties with no A/C back in the day.

After 100 I can't really tell that much difference. It's brutal but doable. Still rather put up with heat in the summer than the snow and cold in the Colorado Winters . It does hit 100 in Colorado too. If anyplace even thinks about having snow I'm out of there.

After 100 I can't really tell that much difference. It's brutal but doable. Still rather put up with heat in the summer than the snow and cold in the Colorado Winters . It does hit 100 in Colorado too. If anyplace even thinks about having snow I'm out of there.
We are going to have cooler than normal weather after today, hasn`t been bad except for a couple days here. Maybe rain next week end.

We set a record yesterday at 115* & will be hotter today. It sure beats the heck out of shoveling...:D

popcorn.jpg

When I was in Tucson a few weeks ago, before the Carlisle show, I was loading three Sun machines in the 118 degree sun. NO fun I will tell you. No shade either... In San Diego we are supposed to break all heat records this week. I dont have AC in the house, BUT I do in my Fifth wheel! Got two AC's fired up early and that will be where my 83 year old mother in law will hide out. And myself as well, watching movies....Well north of a hundred this week, 3 miles from the coast!!!! Nah, global warming is fake news....

We used to have a training exercise called WTI, Weapons Tactics Instruction in NAS Yuma once or twice a year. It's the same thing as Top Gun for the Navy. It used to get so hot we had to wear gloves all the time to be able to work on the dark green aircraft. Hydration was a real issue and our boots would actually break down from the heat of steel grates in the flight line.

Thankfully most of the flying was at night.

It was awful!

Even in Iraq or the Stan most everything is lighter colored. The aircraft even got painted a lighter color!

Last edited:
We had to be really good at estimating "halfway" on the motorcycle gas tanks. Pushing a dirt bike through the Mojave Desert in August really sucks :rofl:

Just heard Death Valley was supposed to get up to 126 on Thursday. Thats hot.....Parts of LA were 108 today.

Somebody extended the tables by calculating for the higher temps - problem solved.

It really wasn't that bad today (if you're not spending a lot of time outside)

-
Back