Screw the 318! I'm going 273!!! Pistons questions.....

-

dodgetkboy78

EDELBROCK HEADS SUCK!
Reaction score
Wifes got a 2wd ramcharger I put a 360 I built for a B stock roundyround truck, and she doesn't like the rough idle, the hard starting, or the 7MPG..............

So, I am thinking, for the sake of MPG, to put one of these 273's I have together. What pistons have you 273 guys found and used? Not any that I have found yet on the net. I am looking for a full trunk long skirt piston like the stock one. (long lasting motor)

have you tried egge machine shop ?? they make pistons for a lot of vintage engines,,,and other parts as well

I have been reading toolmans thread for a while, I will give them a call Monday, I was just seeing if enginepro or someone makes ready made kits.

400 bucks is real cheap tho, probably go that route.

Egge would be my first choice. Most piston makers don't make them for 273's because of the small bore size. toolman

Why don't you just do a cam swap??

A 273/318/360 isn't going to idle any better without getting the right cam. Your just wasting time and money changing the 360. Oh sure, the 273 MIGHT--and its a maybe--get 1 to 3 mpg better--built the same.

Get her a Comp HE 252 and a 600---maybe even 500 cfm Edelbrock carb to top it off. Make sure the intake has a perfect seal--get rid of those leaky headers if it has them, get cast manifolds and she be tinkle pink happy...and it cost less and be done quicker.

Buy some Real pistons..!! real forged custom pistons...there light..they have a ring pack that you can put something good on them...100 gram pins...compression without that lump on top...you will be 700 grams a hole lighter over stock for a couple dollars more than egge.IMHO

if it were me...I'd build the 318...it'll always make 45 hp and 45 ft lbs more than a comparable 273.

If you want mileage go buy a toyota.

Buy some Real pistons..!! real forged custom pistons...there light..they have a ring pack that you can put something good on them...100 gram pins...compression without that lump on top...you will be 700 grams a hole lighter over stock for a couple dollars more than egge.IMHO

if it were me...I'd build the 318...it'll always make 45 hp and 45 ft lbs more than a comparable 273.

wow, 45 gram pistons??

The average after market pin is 120 grams.fwiw

the skinny rings don't control things for as long as a 5/64 ring.imo

It would be considerable if you could just swap cams and stick a thicker head gasket on the 360 , that is..if the the comp is too high for the smaller cam.

360's don't get as good gas milage as a lesser stroke engine, but thats life.

My stock bore and stroke 360 got 21 MPG in my 71 dart......when the fours were closed. I didn't build it for mileage. I just built it. I used a thermoquad because I know how to tune them and I knew it would haul ***. I just lucked out that it got the mileage it did. Whenever I build one, I don't worry about mileage. I just build it for what's intended. Worryin about mileage will only result in costing you power you could have had otherwise. Like I said. Go buy a frikkin toyota if mileage is a big deal.

Why don't you just do a cam swap??

A 273/318/360 isn't going to idle any better without getting the right cam. Your just wasting time and money changing the 360. Oh sure, the 273 MIGHT--and its a maybe--get 1 to 3 mpg better--built the same.

Get her a Comp HE 252 and a 600---maybe even 500 cfm Edelbrock carb to top it off. Make sure the intake has a perfect seal--get rid of those leaky headers if it has them, get cast manifolds and she be tinkle pink happy...and it cost less and be done quicker.

Good thoughts there.

The 318 idea I like better and probably won't cost anything but a few peanuts in milage.

My stock bore and stroke 360 got 21 MPG in my 71 dart......when the fours were closed. I didn't build it for mileage. I just built it. I used a thermoquad because I know how to tune them and I knew it would haul ***. I just lucked out that it got the mileage it did. Whenever I build one, I don't worry about mileage. I just build it for what's intended. Worryin about mileage will only result in costing you power you could have had otherwise. Like I said. Go buy a frikkin toyota if mileage is a big deal.

And you probably had on a very modest and mild build an easy 250 - 300+ HP.
I had a all stock 360 minus the 635 Carter and dual exhaust off the manifolds with twin cats getting a constant 19 - 20 in my old Dodge Magnum (Cordoba based car for those who don't know) A MSD fired the junk yard distributor w/vacuum advance replacing the lean burn. The rear had 2.76 gears rolling on 235/60/15's. The Magnum was listed at 3700 lbs and then I get into it (180lbs.) and of course, gas will weigh in. 4000 lbs. and it wold move nicely.

dodgefreak

do the math sometime, you're saying this but meanwhile we are talking an 87cid difference here..even built the same, theres gonna be a very noticable diff in milage.

Headers improve gas milage, why would he wanna do that?

That is true, headers help the engine breath and efficent working/breathing engines produce more power, better mileage and make better use of the fuel available.

Good thoughts there.

The 318 idea I like better and probably won't cost anything but a few peanuts in milage.

And you probably had on a very modest and mild build an easy 250 - 300+ HP.
I had a all stock 360 minus the 635 Carter and dual exhaust off the manifolds with twin cats getting a constant 19 - 20 in my old Dodge Magnum (Cordoba based car for those who don't know) A MSD fired the junk yard distributor w/vacuum advance replacing the lean burn. The rear had 2.76 gears rolling on 235/60/15's. The Magnum was listed at 3700 lbs and then I get into it (180lbs.) and of course, gas will weigh in. 4000 lbs. and it wold move nicely.

I guess.....it was that good Crane Powermax. 476-494, 222 and 234 at .050" on 114 LS. That car ran 13.99 first time out with 3.23 gears. Ran a best of 13.67 with 3.23s. It had high cylinder pressure at over 170, so I'm thinkin it was closer to 300....but hay, you never know. that car was setup right with SS springs and a pinion snubber preloaded when at the track, so it was usin what power it had real efficiently. Headers, cam and roller timing set were the only non stock parts in the engine. ...oh and it did have a fresh air scoop sealed to the hood when closed.

Holy Shnikeys.......... This place just turned into Moparchat!!!!

De-camming the 360 is a no go, sorry, I just put it in the spam can to run it for a bit.
I have seven 273's, and for those of you that know little motors, and know what it's like here, this motor will spnd TONS of time idling. While a 318 is efficient, the 273 is 45 cubes MORE efficient, thats 47 cubes I don't have to feed at idle time.
Less drag for cold strarting.
smaller bore means CLEANER running.
And for those of you who have never HAD/RAN/PLAYED with a 273, it's one smooth sweet, nice running motor.

buy a toyota

Suck it smurfboi. I got more Mopar in my yard than you probably ever owned.

I was just asking about pistons, obviously some of you got all worked up because you think cubes is the answer. IF, I can get a set of pistons for a 273 for 400 bucks, hell, that makes it worth building the 273 and NOZT using the 40 year old pistons it has now.

Thank you toolman, RUmble, and 1wild for being the voice of reason around here!

I may have a set of standard 2 barrel pistons NOS. I agree with everything you said above. What oversize do you think you need. I'll look and see if I have a set. Been collecting 273 stuff for decades.

wow, 45 gram pistons??
The average after market pin is 120 grams.fwiw

The stock 273 2 barrel piston pin is 221.5 grams each and they are shorter?! I think they used the pin to get the same weight as the 4 barrel piston and pin combo. I also think this matches the 318 piston and pin combo.

The Egge pistons come with pins and clips and are a bunch lighter than the stockers. If I can find the numbers I will post them. Even a .030 over was lighter than a stocker. toolman

I have a stock set of 273 hipo domed pistions with rods attached with bearings that I would sell they still have the rings on from when I got them with the cam that I needed

-
Back