Screwdrivers

-

Texas Red

Old Flunky
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a good set of screwdrivers that is available with having to do the Snap On/ Mac tools price. The days of Craftsman screwdrivers being made in America is gone
which are made across the pond now days. Screwdrivers and other American made tools are getting harder to find in garage sales etc... that used to belong to the old Craftsman of the day.
If anyone has recently purchased a decent set lately lease advise. Good things are not cheap and cheap things are not good.... I get it.... Thanks Gary

You're speaking to the choir here. 28 years as a MAC Tool dealer you know know what I'm going to say.

I've got a set of DeWalt screwdrivers that are pretty good quality- no idea of the country of origin, though. Also have a few Milwaukee-branded screwdrivers that have held up really well.

I like some of this guys reviews. He puts tools thru a number of tests , from cheap HF up to the big names. Big money doesn't always win. In this screwdriver test, he even shows how durable they are when they are used for the wrong purpose. Not that I would ever do that.:rolleyes:

screwdrivers.jpg

Facom, Stahlwille and Wiha have served me well, Nothing Aussie made anymore, that is for sure!

You won't find a Chinese tool in my chest, I value my knuckles and my country.

You won't find a Chinese tool in my chest, I value my knuckles and my country.
I have some older Craftsman tools that were made in the USA, but pretty much anything I have bought in the last 20 years was probably made in China. I have a lot of Dewalt cordless tools. I don't know where they are made. I have never broken a Craftsman tool or, for that matter, a HF hand tool. I agree with @RustyRatRod, the higher cost HF tools are very nice.
Buy once, cry once!
Maybe for a professional who uses his tools all day every day. I use my tools a lot, and I have never broken one. As a hobbyist, I cannot see spending that much on tools. If others want to, that is great, but I am fine with Craftsman and the like.

The old school black and yellow handle stanley screwdrivers were tough as they come. I dont know if you can still buy them but you can still find them at yard sales.
I never liked craftsman scewdrivers. I cant tell you how many of them I snapped the ends off of.

I bought a set of tekton screwdrivers. USA made, love them, price is OK. The black oxide versions will rust id exposed to moisture so hit them with some wd or kroil or something before throwing them in the toolbox. Most are chrome now though, not an issue.
I bought 2 sets of Milwaukee screwdrivers on clearance at Ace last year. They're good too, chrome plated hex shafts keeps the rust away, but I still grab the tekton most of the time, they just feel better in my hand.

Hard Handle Black Oxide Blade Screwdriver Set, 22-Piece | DRV44001 | TEKTON

One problem is, tools change. Sears may change manufacturers. I've got some Sears phillips heads that are fairly recent and they don't fit the screws worth a ****. Now, I've been using Phillips a LONG time. Since I was a kid. My Dad got ahold of me early and explained Phillips sizes. And I had my first hammer impact for working on a Honda, the summer of 66 when I graduated high school. So I KNOW about bad, good, and excellent fit with drivers and screws.

(For those that don't, a really good screw with no damage or dirt in the head, and a really well made driver/ bit, you can hang the screw off the bottom of the driver and it may not fall. And I am not talking magnetic, either)

One problem is, tools change. Sears may change manufacturers. I've got some Sears phillips heads that are fairly recent and they don't fit the screws worth a ****. Now, I've been using Phillips a LONG time. Since I was a kid. My Dad got ahold of me early and explained Phillips sizes. And I had my first hammer impact for working on a Honda, the summer of 66 when I graduated high school. So I KNOW about bad, good, and excellent fit with drivers and screws.

(For those that don't, a really good screw with no damage or dirt in the head, and a really well made driver/ bit, you can hang the screw off the bottom of the driver and it may not fall. And I am not talking magnetic, either)
And there is standard and metric Phillips heads. You may not find them in hansled screwdrivers but they are in the deluxe bit driver sets. And then there is Posi Drive. There's many cross point screws especially in later years.

I still have all of my GOOD quality tools from 30 years ago when I was an auto mechanic. Mac, Snap-on, Matco, S-K, etc. None of these were cheap to buy, but, when you take care of them, they last a LONG time. Sometimes you DO get what you pay for.

I have some older Craftsman tools that were made in the USA, but pretty much anything I have bought in the last 20 years was probably made in China. I have a lot of Dewalt cordless tools. I don't know where they are made. I have never broken a Craftsman tool or, for that matter, a HF hand tool. I agree with @RustyRatRod, the higher cost HF tools are very nice.

Maybe for a professional who uses his tools all day every day. I use my tools a lot, and I have never broken one. As a hobbyist, I cannot see spending that much on tools. If others want to, that is great, but I am fine with Craftsman and the like.
I always chuckle when the "I only buy American" guys come out. ....and that's fine. Do it if you can. But my bet is, most of these guys haven't held a HF tool in their hand lately and certainly not an Icon brand. I have. I've also worked professionally with Snap On, Mac, Matco, SK, American made Craftsman, Proto, and a few other American made brands and I can tell you right here and now the Icon hand wrenches have every bit the look and feel of a Snap On. In fact, I'm really surprised Snap On hasn't gone after HF because the Icon name is in the same font as Snap On. They really do look that good and the warranty is the same as Snap On. Lifetime on hand tools. Even their base line US General toolboxes have been improved with double panels in high stress areas such as where the casters bolt on and in corners. I just got Kitty a tool cart for all of the inside tools we use inside the house and except for my Blue Point tool cart/box, it's better quality than any of mine. There's no question HF sells some things to steer clear of, but if you haven't been recently, I suggest you go and look at their hand tools and tool storage. You'll be surprised.

-
Back