seal free glass install

-

hemitheus

19? Plymouth Scampenstein
Reaction score
Saw this doing a google image search. A scamp with a modern style sealless window install. pretty interesting. Anyone ever do this on their car?

Attachments

• plimouth.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 254
One would need to extend the fence so it becomes a bed for the glass to overlap and lay on.

That's the way chebbie does it. Ghey.

I have thought about doing it on my 65. I probably won't. I think it would also require custom glass.

I had a bodyman just the other day tell me that "they could do this." I wasn't sure he knew what he was talking about, or not. I'm not sure I see what's wrong with it. Since original style seals don't seem to be forthcoming, we might not have a choice

I just picked up a repro rear window seal for my '68 Dart from Classic Industries, so there are some seals out there. Haven't installed it yet, but a "lay it over the back window" fit check looked OK. I would wonder how the headliner is trimmed out around the back window with the sealless install, since the headliner edge is pushed under rubber seal. The window moulding on the outside probably doesn't fit very well either, since its supposed to rest on the rubber seal. Guess you could use really thick sealant strip to move the window outward....

For the outside seam glass shops have a rubber strip to cover the gap. It comes on a big roll and is not model specific. When I had to replace the HUGE rear window in my 88 hatchback daytona they used it and it looked pretty good.

My concern is even with widening the window frame surface the glass doesn't come anywhere near the pillars. The angle of the glass where it meets the car will probably matter as well. Most cars without gaskets the glass is mostly flat. Many of the old cars with gaskets have glass that meets the body at between a 45 and 90 degree angle.

It's still how chebbie does it. It's still ghey.

It's still how chebbie does it. It's still ghey.

Every auto manufacturer has use flush glass for the past few decades, not just Chevy. Flush glass on an old car is what's known as customizing.

You don't like it. Got it. But please, feel free to keep posting your opinion over and over, despite the fact that the OP didn't ask for it.

-
Back