Seal Orientation

-

dodgedart1968

Reaction score
1968 Dodge Dart with 9" Drum Brakes

This is the steering spindle seal. Which side faces inboard?

20220408_142219.jpg
20220408_142228.jpg

Yup, that's what I thought, Look inside the seal, there should be a metal spring, that's the grease side.

Yup, that's what I thought, Look inside the seal, there should be a metal spring, that's the grease side.
No, as you can see from the images, there is no spring. Just to confirm, I just looked at both seals, an neither one has a spring.

To put it simply, the "hollowed out" side (with the rubber "lip") always faces the lubricant being contained. I.E. the bottom pic faces into the hub.

Everything I have worked on usually puts the "hollow" part of the seal towards whatever you want to "keep in".
Except for the tranmission throttle shaft seal... baffling, but the way it goes..
superbirdspring2022leaks 112.jpg

The photos I see are right and left, not top and bottom, but, whatever......look at the outer metal ring. The rounded edge goes toward the backing plate and the sharp edge toward the bearing.

To put it simply, the "hollowed out" side (with the rubber "lip") always faces the lubricant being contained. I.E. the bottom pic faces into the hub.
The photos I see are right and left, not top and bottom, but, whatever......look at the outer metal ring. The rounded edge goes toward the backing plate and the sharp edge toward the bearing.

I have re-checked, and the images on my screen are displayed one above the other, not side-to-side. Thanks to everyone for your helpful responses.

-
Back