Seatbelt mount question

-

chrille164

Reaction score
Hello! Mopar owner from Sweden here.

I have a Dodge dart GT 1969 that i´m figuring out how to put retractable 3 point seatbelts in the front. I have been looking around the forum and most seem to have a mounting point in the roof under the liner. I havent looked there yet but i got two tapped holes under the quarter windows. If there not mounting holes for seatbelt then what are they and are they factory?

Thanks for any help:)
20200603_175920.jpg
20200603_180340.jpg

Have never seen this before let's remove the metal trim to see if this is factory installed.

I will go out to the garage after work and take off the trim and take some more photos and se what it looks like :)

Hmm... yeah doesnt look factory to me. Those welds are really ugly. Damn i really like to mount the belt there. Think i saw someone write in a thread that they done it but no photos of how they did it welding and reinforcing it.
20200604_110657.jpg
20200604_110710.jpg

Yes there are mounts in roof on 69. The welded in ones don't look to bad, you can always weld it up more.

I think if this part of the body was rigid enough for a seat belt anchor, factory engineers might have put it there. We can't know if a crash test dummy ever tested this configuration. We certainly dont plan to test it. Thanks for sharing something we hadn't seen before and good luck with it.

The car is in a foreign country, so who knows, but, that being said you think we'd seen one like this before.

You can't base it being factory from looking at the installation, welds etc.
This is my 1969 Polara (CHP), the factory added retractable shoulder belts (not the normal stowaway ones seen in most cars), to do this they welded a nut to a plate and welded it to the B-pillar, the original welds didn't look much different. We needed to replace the nut as it had a rusted broken bolt in it.
2012-09-07_007.jpg

That being said, I do not know why the factory would deviate on your Dart and not use the roof mountings.

Alan

intresting... but i think you are right, you should have seen it more often even if its in another country. I found this thread.
3 Point Seat Belt Conversion
In that a guy had put a mount almost like mine with some reinforcement and it had past inspection, at least in the us.

In Sweden i could legally drive it wihtout any seatbelts at all since its manufactured before 1970. if you put in belts it must be the factory mounts or you must have documents that the new mounts will hold up to whatever newton or measurement they use. Or if you get lucky and the inspector guy is missing it. Or i know some guys just take it out before inspecting the car. Car over 50 yearsold in Sweden only needs one inspection then its done forever.

But in the end its safety first, so ill see what i will do.
Thanks for the answers so far :)

If its a US built Dart, then that is probably a later modification.
I bought the assembly drawing book and I couldn't find any evidence of seat belt attachment in that location on the drawings '67-'69.
Is the data plate still on the car?

You got me there, i dont know if it is. Can you tell me where it is located i can take a look :)

The car is in a foreign country, so who knows, but, that being said you think we'd seen one like this before.

You can't base it being factory from looking at the installation, welds etc.
This is my 1969 Polara (CHP), the factory added retractable shoulder belts (not the normal stowaway ones seen in most cars), to do this they welded a nut to a plate and welded it to the B-pillar, the original welds didn't look much different. We needed to replace the nut as it had a rusted broken bolt in it.
View attachment 1715540317

That being said, I do not know why the factory would deviate on your Dart and not use the roof mountings.

Alan
Having worked for the local Fords dealership that won the contract and processed 173 Mustangs SCHP , I know some features/equipment are dealer installed and others subcontractor installed. Did this Polara have a caged rear seat?

You got me there, i dont know if it is. Can you tell me where it is located i can take a look :)
Engine Compartment. On top of the left side inner fender. Held in with two screws.

Ok thats a problem, former owners have patched and dont know if they have changed the inner fender to, but there is no plate there.

Having worked for the local Fords dealership that won the contract and processed 173 Mustangs SCHP , I know some features/equipment are dealer installed and others subcontractor installed. Did this Polara have a caged rear seat?
Yes, but it had the seat belts in the car.
These were on the broadcast sheet (Deluxe Belts)...
Broadcast.jpg

Seen in a CHP Bulletin
Belts.jpg

As equipped...
Belts2.jpg

As for the cage, it mounted with small screws, small hole next to seat belt hole (lower hole can be seen just above the plastic B-pillar trim)...
2012-08-28_014.jpg

As installed...
2017-09-16_011.jpg

So I know they are factory.

I have my doubts the factory installed the belts on the original posters Dart, simply because we'd probably have seen others.
I opened the door because it is a foreign country and and you can't judge a mounting based on its welds.

Alan

-
Back