See through valve covers?

-

JKrebs

68 GTS
Reaction score
I see that the clear valve covers are available for the chevy guys. Is there anything out there for us Mopar guys? I was considering just making my own from a set of used aluminum covers. I figure they would work best as the design on them is much straighter. I'm sure that one of us has experimented with this concept. Experience and failures welcomed.

I see that the clear valve covers are available for the chevy guys. Is there anything out there for us Mopar guys? I was considering just making my own from a set of used aluminum covers. I figure they would work best as the design on them is much straighter. I'm sure that one of us has experimented with this concept. Experience and failures welcomed.
It may have cool factor but I have never went for that. They do have clear distributor caps if you want those.

It may have cool factor but I have never went for that. They do have clear distributor caps if you want those.
Thanks but i'm not looking for the cool factor. Just want to see what is happening with the oiling mods I made on the shafts and adjustable rockers. Just want a set to use for running new motor on stand then I will be installing stock covers.

Thanks but i'm not looking for the cool factor. Just want to see what is happening with the oiling mods I made on the shafts and adjustable rockers. Just want a set to use for running new motor on stand then I will be installing stock covers.

What mods did you do?

Yeah.. Here... Lol
0816171217a.jpg

What mods did you do?
First I used a set of new shafts from Mancini. The holes in these shafts are larger and more in line with stamped rocker shafts. So that is one issue that i wanted to keep an eye on. Secondly I drilled through the rocker on the inside of the adjuster bolt hole with the rocker sitting on the valve to get more oil to the push rod.

That looks like something that would fit the bill!! Can you see the push rods spinning from top view?
Yes, A member here, gave those to me, and I cut the tops out. I was also having oiling problems.BUT...... I found out that it was the Howards camshafts fault. The cam was not drilled properly on the #4 journal....Cost me a lot of Time, and Money.......

Obviously Mine is a Big Block... But I'm sure you can do the same with some old SB covers....

Obviously Mine is a Big Block... But I'm sure you can do the same with some old SB covers....
Do you think I would be able to see the push rods spinning from the top? I wanted to make sure the lifters spin as the motor is full of all of the usual new parts.

If you just cut rectangular holes in the tops of some old covers, you will see what you want without oil flying everywhere to some moderate RPM's. Can't say what you will have if you rev to 5k, but the oil restriction in the cam system will keep the flow pretty low and mostly you will have just dribbles; it is the way it is designed. Mark your pushrods with grease pencil or welder's pencil just below the adjusters and it will be easier to see them spin.

If you just cut rectangular holes in the tops of some old covers, you will see what you want without oil flying everywhere to some moderate RPM's. Can't say what you will have if you rev to 5k, but the oil restriction in the cam system will keep the flow pretty low and mostly you will have just dribbles; it is the way it is designed. Mark your pushrods with grease pencil or welder's pencil just below the adjusters and it will be easier to see them spin.
You mean... Like post#8 .LOL

Do you think I would be able to see the push rods spinning from the top? I wanted to make sure the lifters spin as the motor is full of all of the usual new parts.
YES

Thanks for your response. I will do just that.

You sure you don't want to have clear covers for a cool factor? They look pretty cool !

mill the tops off some nasty M/T's and glue on some glass tops. PLexiglass may darken but the glass will stay clear and its not that much to get cut to shape. Just glue then on with silicone. put a dab of yellow paint on the rim of the lifters so you can see them move. Your going to have to look pretty deep to see the lifters. Good luck finding a clear cap.

You sure you don't want to have clear covers for a cool factor? They look pretty cool !

I would just get a set of clear covers. That would allow for a more clear view. I have only seen these available for the chevys.

I would just get a set of clear covers. That would allow for a more clear view. I have only seen these available for the chevys.
If u find a source for big block clear valve covers let us know, I would be interested in a pair too.
I made a clear valley pan using lexan, has not yellowed yet .

If u find a source for big block clear valve covers let us know, I would be interested in a pair too.
I made a clear valley pan using lexan, has not yellowed yet .
I'm looking for SB covers. But i will let you know if i find any.

No need for clear valve covers to make sure your lifters rotate, you can turn the engine over by hand before initial start up to confirm they rotate. If you wait until start up it is probably already too late.

-
Back