Seeing your 1st Mopar 'Upset' a Chevy

-
I don't get it. However my Chevy (1967 Camaro) would send my Mopar (1969 Barracuda) run away crying.

:cheers:Curious. I found Chevy guys would have you believe "they never lost" except to another chevy. In my day the crowd referred to them as "a legend in their own minds". Ford guys also never lost, in fact nobody ever lost, except to another of the same brand. Today it all seems so funny! Looking back, the guy that won was the better driver, more reckless, and willing to push the car to the very limit. There was always somebody faster. Many are in the Cemetery.:glasses7:

True Story,

Part I

{Very Late} October 1966

Dover Drag Strip, Wingdale, New York

Some young 'rich kids' were running their brand new 1967 Camaro Rally-Sport 327/275 HP in 'D/SA'.

It was a 'Fancy Boy White' with Cragar S/S Wheels. A nicely detailed and lettered car from 'Curry Chevrolet'.

They had been at the Track for 3-straight weeks, and were running 13.90's, and had won their Class '3' times
in a row, as they had run away from the competition.

And they were not afraid to brag about it.

But on this Sunday...........

An 'old man' with a 1960 Plymouth Savoy, an ugly 'Gray' painted beast with a 361 showed up. Ugly as Hell
with painted 'Pink' steel wheels.

To look at it, you wouldn't take the Savoy for nothing, and would not want it nowhere near your neighborhood.

During Time Trials, the 'Old Man' lumbered that Savoy down the Track somewhere in mid-16.00's, harming not
a Fly in it's way.

Part II

During '1st-Round' Class Eliminations, the 'hot' Camaro 327 was the heavy-favorite. And it did not fail, as it easily
took down a 1966 Ford Fairlane 390 GTA.

The 'old man' in his 1960 Savoy got lucky, as he drew a 'Bye Run'.

Between Eliminations

Somebody had snuck on the old man's Savoy, and with white shoe polish, wrote 'Ugly As Sin' on the passenger
side rear tail-fin.

Class Trophy Run

The Camaro wheeled up the Staging Lights, with another expected win as the 'lumbering' Savoy inched up to the line,
with the lettering 'Ugly As Sin' on the tail fin.

Then, the sleeping giant woke up.

The old man pulled a 'Holeshot Galore' with the Savoy, and put down a 'dead nuts' 14.00 Run, as the late-starting Camaro
ran a quicker time {13.88} but could not overcome the late start.

The 'old man' sand-bagged them.

Circa 1970, My Dad's Cousin had a 1969 340 Dart Swinger / 4-speed / 3.23 gear.
My brother & I were in the back seat. My Dad was riding shotgun.

We pulled up behind a Corvette & Mustang at a stoplight.
When the light turned green, they were off & we were right on their tail.
As soon as the Corvette opened his lead, my Cousin went between them & outran both.

Now, when you are 10 years old, that leaves a lasting impression on you. LOL
Got to be in that car on several other occasions with the same results.
The beauty of it all, was watching my Cousin row the 4-speed from the back seat.
He knew how to speed shift! He was a clone of Ronnie Sox.

In real life, off the showroom floor, according to a number of magazine tests, the 66-67 Chevy 327/275 Nova ran 15.0 at best, and that is in a 2900 lb car. According to "nexgencamaro" the 67Camaro 327/275 ran a lousy 16.9 with a four speed, and the reputed 400hp Z28 @14.8. Car life in sept 66' showed the nova at 15.1. You could dump money in them to run, but they didn't arrive that way. I did find one chevy site that showed a road test of a 396/375 Camaro, @13.87, but it was fiddled with prior to testing. There was a very common saying back in 69-71, that the 396/375 was quite popular, as the junkyards were full of them! (they had a bad rep of blowing up,unfortunately) The stupidity of rich kids back then was astounding. They would race a new car for a month or so, and if they lost they went out and bought the car they thought beat them the most. They rarely realized the problem was usually the driver, not the brand of car.:violent1::eek:ops:

The funniest race I ever saw was between a 69' Roadrunner and a 69' SS 396 Chevelle. They were on the interstate and had passed the 1/2 mile,at top speed and wouldn't give up. A Nebraska HWY Patrol 69' Polara 440 passed them both in the parking lane, got ahead and blocked the road. End of race. That cop car blew by them @ 130 or so like he was going to get an ice cream cone! Off to Jail. Call the parents, ETC,ETC.

True Story,

Part I

{Very Late} October 1966

Dover Drag Strip, Wingdale, New York

Some young 'rich kids' were running their brand new 1967 Camaro Rally-Sport 327/275 HP in 'D/SA'.

It was a 'Fancy Boy White' with Cragar S/S Wheels. A nicely detailed and lettered car from 'Curry Chevrolet'.

They had been at the Track for 3-straight weeks, and were running 13.90's, and had won their Class '3' times
in a row, as they had run away from the competition.

And they were not afraid to brag about it.

But on this Sunday...........

An 'old man' with a 1960 Plymouth Savoy, an ugly 'Gray' painted beast with a 361 showed up. Ugly as Hell
with painted 'Pink' steel wheels.

To look at it, you wouldn't take the Savoy for nothing, and would not want it nowhere near your neighborhood.

During Time Trials, the 'Old Man' lumbered that Savoy down the Track somewhere in mid-16.00's, harming not
a Fly in it's way.

Part II

During '1st-Round' Class Eliminations, the 'hot' Camaro 327 was the heavy-favorite. And it did not fail, as it easily
took down a 1966 Ford Fairlane 390 GTA 'convertible'.

The 'old man' in his 1960 Savoy got lucky, as he drew a 'Bye Run'.

Between Eliminations

Somebody had snuck on the old man's Savoy, and with white shoe polish, wrote 'Ugly As Sin' on the passenger
side rear tail-fin.

Class Trophy Run

The Camaro wheeled up the Staging Lights, with another expected win as the 'lumbering' Savoy inched up to the line,
with the lettering 'Ugly As Sin' on the tail fin.

Then, the sleeping giant woke up.

The old man pulled a 'Holeshot Galore' with the Savoy, and put down a 'dead nuts' 14.00 Run, as the late-starting Camaro
ran a quicker time {13.88} but could not overcome the late start.

The 'old man' sand-bagged them.

Oh Man !!!

Did the fans in the bleachers give it to the Camaro Boys.........

I ran my '70 Roadrunner (383 torqueflite) up against a '64 Impala (327 4-gear) It was a street race back in the 70s. He pulled a big holeshot on me off the line. Probably 2-3 car lengths. About half way through the 1/4 I was already up to his door. That's when he started to crowd me off the road. With two wheels off the pavement, I backed out of it to keep from getting hit. He bragged later about having beat me. We weren't running for cash so I just shrugged it off.

Thanks Cuda440! it couldn't have happened to a more deserving bunch of guys HA HA

The Sleeper Savoy,

The 'old man' was smart, and didn't open up the Headers during Time Trials, and ran
it with the Street Tires.

Made it look like some 'Old Grocery Getter' at the Track for a Sunday Drive.

Under the hood, a 361/310 HP ~ 'Sonoramic Commando'

At Noon, he popped the caps of the 'old' Headers, and swapped on a set of Casler Slicks.

Snuck in 'under cover'.

[URL="https://sp3.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608034238169811979&pid=15.1"][/URL]

The Sleeper Savoy,

The 'old man' was smart, and didn't open up the Headers during Time Trials, and ran
it with the Street Tires.

Made it look like some 'Old Grocery Getter'

At Noon, he popped the caps of the 'old' Headers, and swapped on a set of Casler Slicks.

Snuck in 'under cover'.

They may look big, but they were good cars. I had a 60' Desoto hardtop with the 305hp 383, and it weighed about 3700. That torqueflite would hold first to around 65mph, then push the button. many new cars back then couldn't handle the 2nd gear in that car! The Plymouth had a 118 inch wheel base, that would have been even better. I always wanted to put a 426 hemi in that 60' Plymouth. Can you imagine the destruction in that size class? HA Keep them coming cuda440!:bootysha:

The 1960 Plymouth Savoy

Shipping Weight...... #3430 lbs.

With the 361/310 HP 'Sonoramic Commando' Dual-Carb Ram Intake

Put you in 'D/SA' {10.60 to 11.29 Wt/Hp} in 1966.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Old Man Savoy' takes down 'rich' Westchester Kids in their hopped-up Daddy bought 1967 Camaro RS.

Life was Beautiful that Fall Day in Dutchess County, New York.

We pulled up behind a Corvette & Mustang at a stoplight.
When the light turned green, they were off & we were right on their tail.
As soon as the Corvette opened his lead, my Cousin went between them & outran both.
haha I did that to two newer 'stangs with my Stealth.

as far as the thread goes- I have to admit that back in the '90s when I had my 340 the only race I ever lost in my Duster was to a chevy. A guy I know (builds, tunes and dynos engines here in town) had a first gen Camaro with a built 350 with nitrous. We went for a couple blocks (up to about 90 mph- it was in town so we didn't want to open 'em up lol) and he got me by a fender. I was pissed off about losing but as we coasted down he pointed out his side window at me and said "that f*****' car goes!"
Later on, my brother was telling me about hearing about the race from Greg (with the Camaro) and Greg saying "I was on the button hard and I wasn't pulling away from that Duster".
That's the only story about me racing a Chevy that's interesting (even if it's also the only one I lost).

When I was a junior in HS my buddy and his dad built a 69 Camaro. It was a nice car as his dad built sprint cars in his spare time. 327, Muncie 4 speed, 12 bolt rear end, Motion stripes down the sides. Actually it was a very nice car for a seventeen year old. His dad always intended on converting it over to a early Corvette fuel injection unit that he had, but didn't want to start his son off like that, so it had a Rochester two barrel on it. Nobody else really knew that. All they could see was that it had nice paint, chrome Hooker headers into side pipes, and nice shiny Cragar S/S wheels.

One day after school he lined up against and a 71 340 Swinger with an automatic. That guy ate his lunch and the next day everyone knew it. I drove a rusty old Duster at the time, but I knew right there that there was something special about a plain jane Dart that could whip his high dollar Camaro. I've built and driven A bodies ever since.

About a week after I bought my 66 Coronet circa summer 1985, I was cruising the local 4 lane road that went by the place where all the car guys hung out, and also served as a very popular stoplight drag track. We all know the type.

The car was bone stock 318 poly 727 2 barrel 2.94 open rear, and only a careful carb and timing tune, tweaked advance curve, good plugs and wires and some holes drilled in the factory style muffler for performance mods.

I ran into a guy I knew from school. More of an acquaintance, really. He had a 72 Malibu and I knew he had spent some money rebuilding the 350 and putting a 4 barrel on it. Not sure of anything else, though. But later I learned it had 3.08 gears

I could see he was weaving through traffic so that we'd end up at the light at the same time, and when we did, he did the customary rev and release a couple times.

When the light changed, I got about a bumper ahead, and my adrenalin started to kick in. It stayed pretty much right there up to about 60, and then I started slowly pulling ahead and had a door lead by about 75.

Since the road was 45, I backed off and enjoyed the silly smile on my face.
We got to the next light at the same time too, and it was an almost identical rematch, with the same results.

That wasn't the last time that 80,000 mile 318-2 got the best of a fresh 350 4 barrel, either.

About a week after I bought my 66 Coronet circa summer 1985, I was cruising the local 4 lane road that went by the place where all the car guys hung out, and also served as a very popular stoplight drag track. We all know the type.

The car was bone stock 318 poly 727 2 barrel 2.94 open rear, and only a careful carb and timing tune, tweaked advance curve, good plugs and wires and some holes drilled in the factory style muffler for performance mods.

I ran into a guy I knew from school. More of an acquaintance, really. He had a 72 Malibu and I knew he had spent some money rebuilding the 350 and putting a 4 barrel on it. Not sure of anything else, though. But later I learned it had 3.08 gears

I could see he was weaving through traffic so that we'd end up at the light at the same time, and when we did, he did the customary rev and release a couple times.

When the light changed, I got about a bumper ahead, and my adrenalin started to kick in. It stayed pretty much right there up to about 60, and then I started slowly pulling ahead and had a door lead by about 75.

Since the road was 45, I backed off and enjoyed the silly smile on my face.
We got to the next light at the same time too, and it was an almost identical rematch, with the same results.

That wasn't the last time that 80,000 mile 318-2 got the best of a fresh 350 4 barrel, either.

Very Nice...........:cheers:

The year was 2000 and I was a Sr in H.S.
A kid I knew, a sophomore at the time, had just gotten a 67 chevelle malibu from his parents that was tubbed, 4 link, caged, professionally restored, and a "professionally" built 327 and was braggin on it pretty good.
So, one Friday evening I caught him downtown in it and challenged him to race my ragbag 71 Dart Swinger 318. Dart had 904 w/shift kit, 8 3/4 with 3.55 cone style sure grip.

Needless to say, once the Dart was 3-4 car lengths ahead of him by the 1/8mi he gave up. He really didn't like me much after that....especially when all his buds were there to watch, hahalol! :)

I had my 66 Coronet with a 440 727 and 3:55 gears. Worked with a guy that had a 69 Chevelle 350 4 speed. We went to a long industrial park road and raced. I let him start first. 3 races and he lost them all. But he had an excuse for every lost. All I could say is whatever!

-
Back