Self Defense Shotguns

-
The judge is only really effective out to about six feet. After that, you have a 1/4 chance of actually hitting what you want due to it's nearly non-existent barrel length.

It's only redeeming qualities are that it's a revolver so it won't jam easily. It's a double action. It's tiny for easy conceal, and shells are easy to come by.

With that said, the shells are also some of the most expensive. Personally, if I'm limited to 5-shotgun shells...I'd prefer a 20 or 12 gauge. Yeah, it might be scary, but a snot-nosed little brat that breaks into my home or barn is going to poo himself when I rack a shotgun as I'm stepping out of the shadows with it pointed at his face. Besides, with a 20 or 12, you only need the one shot anyways.

Maybe..... I live in the city and I would never rely that they knew what a pump sounded like. I was trained to draw in 4 positions to save my life...

1. Hand straight down on weapon with index finger pointed straight down.
2. Pull straight up with a foward cant.
3. Rotate horizontal ( I have to lean back to hit center of mass at this position, cowboy style).
4. While all this is happening my left hand should be on my chest (to avoid shooting my own hand) until postion 4 when bring my revolver up and left hand to clasp in a teacup but to never fully extend my right and simultaneusly pull back with my left. It's really not that easy and takes time to practice.

I tricked out a couple mossberg 500's with the side saddle, barrell heat shield, dead man pressure switch with sure fire light and some other mods.
I load one with 2 slugs followed by 3" magnum buckshot.

I have another one specially loaded with a warm fuzzy custom concoction of lye impregnated rock salt.
This is for anyone who I really don't feel like sending to their maker, but just wanna have some fun teaching them a good life lesson.

Gladly I have never had to use either of them in self defense but I have had to use my pistol on a couple occasions on the street.
Never had to fire a shot though, just the sight of it was enough to send the message.

You are serious as a heart attack and my trainers would love you. Shoot to kill, never to wound.

We were taught when we were allowed to transition from concealed to open carry as the law allows..... Very specific conditions...

I found a video of a dragons breath round. This is the first time I've seen one fired.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzCYFg-gYUk"]YouTube- Dragon's Breath[/ame]

I found one of these brand new for a very reasonable price. :-D I was told that this is the only shotgun that passed the US Military tests for durability and realibility. Is this true?
Shotguns are offensive weapons. Not defensive weapons. A small handgun is for defensive purposes. Get training and learn how to shoot em. If you buy a shotgun for defensive purposes best get yourself a good interior decorator.

Shotguns are offensive weapons. Not defensive weapons. A small handgun is for defensive purposes. Get training and learn how to shoot em. If you buy a shotgun for defensive purposes best get yourself a good interior decorator.

Trust me, if I am defending me and mine, I am going to be as offensive as possible....

I have been trained. Have you read the entire thread?

Much better an interior decorator than a funeral director.

Mossbergs are fine weapons. My favorite is a Winchester "Defender" 1300. Holds seven rounds and can take 3" mags. If you like the judge, check out the circuit judge. It is along the same lines but in rifle form, very sweet and great for camping, fishing, etc... Remember one thing when choosing a weapon for home defense, most homes have restricting areas.Think about doorways, hallways, bathrooms, bedrooms. Is there enough room to turn 360' and still maintain good shooting posture? I always keep one handgun close to the bed, a shotgun in the closet, and a high powered rifle next to the shotgun. Of course none of it matters if you don't know they are there. (Like when they stole my truck last week!)

No disrespect soulSurvivor but If someone breaks into my home to try to attack/kill me, I would reach for my 12 gauge loaded with buckshot before I would reach for my handgun.

Mossbergs are fine weapons. My favorite is a Winchester "Defender" 1300. Holds seven rounds and can take 3" mags. If you like the judge, check out the circuit judge. It is along the same lines but in rifle form, very sweet and great for camping, fishing, etc... Remember one thing when choosing a weapon for home defense, most homes have restricting areas.Think about doorways, hallways, bathrooms, bedrooms. Is there enough room to turn 360' and still maintain good shooting posture? I always keep one handgun close to the bed, a shotgun in the closet, and a high powered rifle next to the shotgun. Of course none of it matters if you don't know they are there. (Like when they stole my truck last week!)

I read about that and what a bummer. That truly sucks.

My house is small and brick (I've always liked brick houses and I was raised in one), 800 sq ft but the garage is close to a 1000. I'm thinking that the Msbg would be too much indoors and my .357 would be plenty, although it would be great in my pop up camper for bear and other 'neer do wells. It's always nice to have back up though and having that big Mossberg at hand would be nice..... just in case....like an insurance policy.

A mini-14 wouldn't be the ideal home defense weapon, but if it was closest to me, I'd use it. Done deal.

No disrespect soulSurvivor but If someone breaks into my home to try to attack/kill me, I would reach for my 12 gauge loaded with buckshot before I would reach for my handgun.
I understand all your feedback. But if you have been that situation...woken out of of a deep sleep...its tough to grab the 12 gauge. Much less a flashlight or anything else. I have 3 shotguns and know how to use em. I don't disagree with any of you when it comes to defending my family and home. But if you have a house full of kids and an intruder is inside without YOUR knowledge...the shotgun is NOT what you want. Can't just have one laying by your bed.
Don't laugh..but your family dog is best protection. Lets be realistic here. That situation will haunt me forever.

x2 on the bummer deal with the truck, been there, it sucks.
For me, I have the Cattle Dog alert system, backed up by the 2 German Shepard intruder defense system. With them, I have enough time to wake up, make a cup of coffee, read the paper and then lock and load......:axe:

the judge it can hold any 410 shotgun sheel and a 45 long colt.

and i can hide it under my under my seat.

I like shot guns, but prefer pistols for home defense. In my house it depends where I am at. LOL. Close to the back door is a S&W M&P .40, close to the front door is a Taurus Raging Bull in .480 Ruger. Down stairs in my safe room is enough to start a small militia. LOL

x2 on the bummer deal with the truck, been there, it sucks.
For me, I have the Cattle Dog alert system, backed up by the 2 German Shepard intruder defense system. With them, I have enough time to wake up, make a cup of coffee, read the paper and then lock and load......:axe:

Two rottie mixes here. They let me know what's going down on the block much less at my door.

You live in FL where penatration probably isn't so much an issue with light clothing. Here, someone could be wearing many layers, wool, down, etc. Plus I wanted something that could take down a Cougar while fishing/camping. That's why I picked a .357 Mag. I'd take a .45 LC if I could find one I could conceal.

Bigger shot should solve the more clothing issue, and wouldnt a 45 colt take down a cougar?

How much buckshot could be put in a .410 plus yes, a .45 LC would take down a cougar but as I just said, I can't conceal it.

"I'd take a .45 LC if I could find one I could conceal."

How much buckshot could be put in a .410 plus yes, a .45 LC would take down a cougar but as I just said, I can't conceal it.

"I'd take a .45 LC if I could find one I could conceal."

Is the Judge to big to conceal easily? It fires 45 colt.

Just wondering if the Judge would be a good "all around" pistol. 410 for snakes, carjackers, etc. while 45 Colt for larger animals. Maybe too big to just put in your pocket?

For my home gun I have a 12 ga Browning a5 (humpback) 5 shots, 8, 8, 4, 4, 4. The barrel is cut to 20" the stock has been shortened by 8".
Stored loaded with the breech open. Push a button and the gun is ready to go.
I keep the gun on a shelf that is ABOVE my bedroom door.
The shelf has a lip on the front and the firearm is not visible.
Easy to reach. Safe from prying eyes.

Whip

Maybe..... I live in the city and I would never rely that they knew what a pump sounded like. I was trained to draw in 4 positions to save my life...

1. Hand straight down on weapon with index finger pointed straight down.
2. Pull straight up with a foward cant.
3. Rotate horizontal ( I have to lean back to hit center of mass at this position, cowboy style).
4. While all this is happening my left hand should be on my chest (to avoid shooting my own hand) until postion 4 when bring my revolver up and left hand to clasp in a teacup but to never fully extend my right and simultaneusly pull back with my left. It's really not that easy and takes time to practice.

You are serious as a heart attack and my trainers would love you. Shoot to kill, never to wound.

We were taught when we were allowed to transition from concealed to open carry as the law allows..... Very specific conditions...

Seriously though, everyone knows what the sound of a shotgun racking is thanks to hollywood.

Sadly enough, shooting to kill is sound advice. The whole "dead men tell no tales" leaves only your accounting.

As to the whole pistol or shotgun for home defense debate. Unless you practice with a pistol on a semi-weekly basis, it will do you little good in an actual self-defense situation. Ramcharger, you and probably only a handful of others on this site actually practice on a regular basis. This might make a pistol an effective weapon for you, but the avg. joe-blow should stick with a shotgun.

In response to penetration power, higher caliber pistols have more penetrating power than a 2 3/4 shotty shell loaded with whatever gameload (not slug, load) you desire.

-
Back