Sell the 340 or build it

-

Dan s

Reaction score
So I bought my dart about 3 weeks ago and it came with a 340 block and a steel crank with connecting rods. It’s fresh out of the machine shop. Bored .030, line bored, cam bearings in it. It is a 71 block. Or sale and go with a 360. Just curious what others would.

Build the 340, let it breath and good HP/torque can be obtained! 65'

I just had the same dilemma and built my 340. Probably would have been cheaper to go 360 but I like having the 340 reputation to lean on.

Dan, before you build it, please post the partial VIN number on the block. It is located on the passenger's side of the block just above where the oil pan rail would be, about half way down the length. A few people on here are looking for their original blocks. Never know. You might can reunite someone's car and engine.

Tuff call; Usually I am a big fan of using what I have in hand, now I'm working the executive decision maker real hard.....ask your self can you sell 340 block, crank and rods for enough to put yourself at, or a head, the same point you are now and build a 360; shop pistons for stock stroke 340 and 360, make sure they are "on the shelf", not customs

The short answer is yes, someone with a 360 built to the same point may even trade you. FWIW, I'd build the 340 you have. 65'

For some, the 340 carries a certain street cred and they will want to be able to say they have a 340 in their car.
To me, I just want something that performs well. A stroked 318 will wipe the floor with a stock 340 and look the same if dressed with the 340 manifolds.
The money that some will pay for a 340 often buys you a LOT of 360 power too.

I’ll post the vin next week. The car and block are in a buddies garage for now. I’m n Orlando waiting on this hurricane so I won’t be able to get over there till next week. If it belongs to someones car I would definitely sale it to them. As far as building it goes. I’ve thought about stroking it but I already have the rods and crank. I haven’t built a gas motor in a long time. My son and I just finished a 12 valve Cummins in my 1990w250. Should be a beast. As for the dart it has a 318 in it now that someone has done a little work to. It runs pretty good. The guy I bought it from put the 340 hood and air filter on it.

I'd look at it this way if the rods/piston combo that came with the block will work for your intended use for how you are going to use the car or would build a motor I'd build it. If you were plan on going a totally difference direction than I'd consider selling it to build what you want to. You may be able to break even or even come out ahead. Selling it and starting fresh will be more time consuming, but allow you to get the end result your after.

When I started this thread I actually thought I’d get more towards the 360. I’ve read a lot of stuff on this sight and a lot of people always say go with the 360. So when I post the vin next week and nobody has the car for the motor. I’ll build it next winter when I get back to Tennessee.

What year is your Dart? Somewhere down the road you may sell and a 340 Dart might have more appeal to prospective buyers than a 360 Dart and bring a higher price.
i.e. a '68 or '69 340 Swinger or GTS as opposed to a 360 Swinger?

It’s a 69. I also got a 8 3/4 for it but I haven’t had time to research it. And a 727 but it needs rebuilt

I know @crackedback (Rob) is looking for a 72 engine. As you know, if it's a late enough build date, it could be for a 72. You just never know where these things could end up. It's unlikely someone has the car, but you just never know.

Maybe a dumb question. But if all the machine work is done how would it be cheaper. Don’t flame me to bad. I’m still in a learning curve
sell it, build a 360, more power for less money

Excellent point Dan
Because I'm thinking you can get more for the machined 340 then it would cost to get a 360
Or...if you really want to make it easy on yourself, get a magnum 5.9 from LKQ
They run, what, 600 bucks with a warranty

Maybe a dumb question. But if all the machine work is done how would it be cheaper. Don’t flame me to bad. I’m still in a learning curve

It won't be cheaper either way.

The 340 in the 69Dart will have a P/W similar to a 360 in a Second gen Barracuda, and the torque deficit can be overcome with the next bigger rearend ratio.
The difference is that; the 360 with 3.23s can spin the tires to 62mph @6400, and the 340@6400 with 3.55s can only hit 56...... lol.
Match your cam and stall to your Scr to play nice with your available gas. And if that revs too high when touring, get an overdrive and you will have the bases covered.
But if you spend a lotta time on the hiway, then the 360 will be your friend. You can run less gear and cruise atta lower rpm, without losing PartThrottle performance.
I bored my 360 to 4.04 and that gets you 367 cubes which I now sometimes refer to as my stroked 340. It's only about a quarter inch, but it is 27 cubes. At 1.1 hp per cube, that comes to 30 hp, or better than 1 cam size,( going on 2) without the loss of low-rpm torque, usually associated with the bigger cam.
Do you need the extra torque of those associated 27 cubes? Well only you can answer that. But it is kinda nice to not have to downshift all the time.

Thank y’all. That is food for thought. My buddy has been saying the same thing.

Thank y’all. That is food for thought. My buddy has been saying the same thing.

If you want a stroker, I know of one that the guy wants to pull and replace with a tamer engine...

-
Back