Sellin a car = bullshit

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Thats right,Ihave posted my car 4 sale for the third time in 2 years.This time I drop the price to fare market value.My rant is people phone all hours ask stupid questions,and then say they are coming to see the car.A few came love the car hey can we go for a ride, I figure why not a good way to show them what it has.Then the low ball me pick it a part and say I will think about it,ya right.The last people just yesterday I told them to get the **** off my drive way,they offered me half price and laugh about it.I AM NOT GOING TO GIVE THIS CLEAN CAR AWAY. If they want a car that has undercoating hiding rust or just a plant rust bucket go for it.Want I should do now is put the price down by half let them all come, wait for I will take it,then i say hey give me your number i will call you tomorrow.See how that feels.Never in all my years I have had such a hard time selling 1 of my cars.Selling a car = BULLSHIT.........:banghead:Sorry just had too tell someone how i feel,even if u dont care.

I hear yea, I have lost it before with people stopping by to look at an old truck or boat I had for sale a few years back #-o I remember telling one couple Do you see a Yard sale sign up in front of the truck !! NO !! I have a price on it people, Not OBO !! quit wasting my time !! It is a Bit__ dealing with public :banghead:

Frustrating isn't it. I should put my 66 up for sale but I don't have the time and energy right now to deal with it. I'm not giving it away either. If you must sell, make it happen but if not, stand your ground. You haven't found just the right buyer yet. Good luck my friend, tmm

It isn't worth letting it bother you. These people are everywhere. Idiots. Maybe you should raise your price by say 30% or so and then let them negotiate you down a bit!

No Cash??? No ride...Anyone who turns up without even a decent deposit is a Lamer...Not to mention every man and his dog are "wanna be" car flippers... They watch too much BS on TV :)

the last car i sold i made sure the dood heard me say
" bring 15k, not 14,995, 15K because i'd hate to see you drive 10 hours just to go home with no joy ride and an empty trailer "
i feel your pain man...

why not just double your asking price and sell it to the first bozo who offerse half?

Ha...I had a guy want to buy just the front fenders off of my 37 Plymouth coupe because his were bad. I told him before he showed up I am not parting it out. I finally got to the point and told him that the whole car was not for sale to him. I actually had to chase him away.

Thanksssssssssssss all, I have even had to educate some on how its hard it is to get rust free cars in Canada, I say we live in the rust belt, we are not as lucky as our U.S. friends, they are still in barns,Fields,or someones drive way,RUST FREE in most states. I will give it 2 more weeks than thats it.I hate trying to sell my Dart as we are have money problems due to my part.

They'll find out the hard way in the end. They'll spend $1500 on a rust bucket and spend three times what your asking for your car to get it to your cars condition ! LOL You shoud keep there # and ask them to bring by the car they end up with, that way you can stand there with a calculator and politely ad up what everything is going to cost them to get there car to the condition of yours. Then you might want to mention the countless hundreds of hours on the internet and going to swapmeets ( full of Chevy and ford parts looking for that one booth with a few little Mopar trinkets) looking for the parts they'll need. You might also politely mention this calculation is based on you doing all of the hundreds of hours of work yourself. If they would prefer to use a shop they can times that number by three! No one sees the real heart and soul we put in these cars, and its not like we are trying to get that out of it, but can you please offer me enough to pay for some of the parts !??

like a lot of the people on FABO, I could write a book about this subject!!!! ( not fiction either!).
I make it a rule to buy only good projects, for what they ARE acyually worth, do 99% of the work myself, so when I decide to sell something, I can price it WELL below fair market value. even then it can be a real struggle to get it sold!!!
I can blame this buyer syndrome on many things. one of which, I call the swap meet mentality. ie, NO matter how much the car is worth the price. ALWAYS figure to talk the cars price down, do anything necessary to make the seller ( who has probably more years, hours, and miles ahead of the seller), to get the price dropped.
my approach when selling, is to try my best to treat all buyers as if they ALL actually deserve such, yes, there are buyers that are truly great people, but seems to be far and few!??? I try to talk to the idiots as though they have good sense. yes there are people that lack knowledge, so I try to be polite and calmly discuss all involved. I admit I am nOT a people person, so I have taught myself, over the decades, to take a deep breath before I UNLOASD on some moron !!?????
remember, all $$$ you get over the price of scrape metal IS salesmanship!!!!!! HA

if your car is for sale at 15k,i am going to try and get it as cheap as i can,thats just how it works ,but im not going to low ball offer you 7k.i would see if you would take 12k and dicker from there.

heck, some ofyour fellow abodies forum people are happy to pick apart and destroy a car right here on the forum, dont need to advertise to get that...........and you dont have to take them for a ride..... simple case of the good ole... " what i have is better than yours" all day long!..... I dont mean this about all on here, but there is that crowd that can make you want to hit the delete button..

Thats right,Ihave posted my car 4 sale for the third time in 2 years.This time I drop the price to fare market value.My rant is people phone all hours ask stupid questions,and then say they are coming to see the car.A few came love the car hey can we go for a ride, I figure why not a good way to show them what it has.Then the low ball me pick it a part and say I will think about it,ya right.The last people just yesterday I told them to get the **** off my drive way,they offered me half price and laugh about it.I AM NOT GOING TO GIVE THIS CLEAN CAR AWAY. If they want a car that has undercoating hiding rust or just a plant rust bucket go for it.Want I should do now is put the price down by half let them all come, wait for I will take it,then i say hey give me your number i will call you tomorrow.See how that feels.Never in all my years I have had such a hard time selling 1 of my cars.Selling a car = BULLSHIT.........:banghead:Sorry just had too tell someone how i feel,even if u dont care.

Been there. it sucks. especially when you have it at a fair price. I'm not sure we can blame Gas donkey garage or barret jackson on this one but I think people have gotten much ruder when it comes to offering on cars.

heck, some ofyour fellow abodies forum people are happy to pick apart and destroy a car right here on the forum, dont need to advertise to get that...........and you dont have to take them for a ride..... simple case of the good ole... " what i have is better than yours" all day long!..... I dont mean this about all on here, but there is that crowd that can make you want to hit the delete button..

Sad part is...its worse on the mopar side of things. I've been on non-brand specific pages and its no where near as bad. But get on say a cuda/challenger page and do something that's not original to the car and :violent2: . Some people on here are that way but it's no where near as bad as the mopar E body crowd

I personally like to price a car I want to sell at what I feel is its fair market value. well that is very hard to determine for sure. some people would not pay your asking price, NO MATTER! so I just add an extra $100, and that is all I will come down, period.
if I am in a financial or other situation where I hAVE to sell, then I may have to dicker more. but I hate that. price it too high and no lookers... price it too low and people figure there must be undisclosed problems!!! you can't win!????

I chuckle everytime I recall a car I sold years and d ecades back, where someone looked at it, turned their nose up at it, or thought the price too high, ..... Ha..
and there are some people that are SHOPPERS.... they just want to look and dream.... they will never find the car that suits them!!! ha
I never want to buy a car that I would not want to keep forever. so if I do decide to thin the herd, if no one buys it, then that's just fine!!!!!

Yes, the jerks and people with no etiquette come out of the woodwork. It helps in any kind of sales to remember, just one right buyer is all you need. The moment you realize the person in front of you is NOT it, turn the tables on them and say, (smiling) Thanks for stopping by, and good luck with whatever car you end up with. Stick your hand out and give them a handshake. Then get in the car and move it into the carport or to the back of your property. You'll feel so much better, and not waste your time and patience.

I sold my '65 Plymouth last Satuday. First guy to look at it took it. As he knew, price was 2700 cash. He did ask if there was any room on the price even though it said firm. I was not offended as I always try myself. I said, "yes, the plates are due this month, and that's 100." So, I knocked that 100 off and he gave me 2600 cash and drove it 3 hours back home with a smile. I advertised it here on FABO, but no interest from here. ONE thing you can write in the advertisement is "if you need your wifes permission, don't waste my time"

What price are you listing the car at now? What prices did you list for the two other times, you admittedly, said we're high?

There is no ettiquette. Business is business. I've been on both sides of this fence and I'm sure I'ma dick to many sellers and buyers as a result. I was just involved in buying my step-son's first car. Limited cash, etc etc etc. I pissed off several people. but we got a decent car at a fair price (and a Dodge to boot!).
If you need money - sell the car and solve your problem. If you can make do without selling it, don't. But don't ***** about guys telling you what it's worth to them because your numbers differ. Just tell them no. I personally called them names...lol. I've also shut the garage door on one guy's feet.
Honestly - no joy rides or "hear it run" (when selling engines) until an offer is made and the ride/run is to validate the description and verify condition.

What price are you listing the car at now? What prices did you list for the two other times, you admittedly, said we're high?

Sorry not going to disclose the price here.What I feel is killing the sale for most,its not # matching,not a 340 car or a GT,Swinger,GTS,they would rather buy some junk,rusted out car just so they can stick there nose in the air and say ya its a 340 GT OR A 340 SWINGER,OR 383 GTS and be proud of it.Sure they can find that car but still are not willing to pay for it.

-
Back