Selling etiquette

-

furyus2

Reaction score
I should have asked sooner, but I've been a member for about 10 years. Never really sold much. I don't even have a score. So, if someone has a low trading score( in the 70's) ,and most of their posts seem to be buying, and selling, and they ask about a postal MO, should I be concerned?
Also, is PayPal friends and family ok to accept from a buyer with a 100% score who's been around a while?
Not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, but I do want to protect myself.

I should have asked sooner, but I've been a member for about 10 years. Never really sold much. I don't even have a score. So, if someone has a low trading score( in the 70's) ,and most of their posts seem to be buying, and selling, and they ask about a postal MO, should I be concerned?
Also, is PayPal friends and family ok to accept from a buyer with a 100% score who's been around a while?
Not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, but I do want to protect myself.
Best to use PayPal good and services to protect yourself when buying. The small extra fee is like buying insurance. If they want to pay you by friends and family, it’s their risk...not yours. It’s OK to accept it. Same with postal MO, cash it before you ship and all is fine.

The buyer is the one taking a risk when they send funds "friends and family" - PayPal won't stand behind the buyer if the seller doesn't deliver, because the buyer told PayPal it was not a goods or services transaction.

IMHO, for buyers, the friends and family workaround is an unwarranted risk, unless when doing business with someone you know and trust. PayPal fees are 3% (2.9% + 30 cents per sale), so it's only $3 per $100, and is a small price to pay for some peace of mind.

I wouldn't use a money order for love nor money. Paypal is where it's at man.

But accepting one for a sale is OK, I just wouldn’t ever send one for a purchase.

I won't accept them anymore. Even from people I know. It's not their fault. It's because so many fake ones have been passed. The last one I took, the post office would not accept. My bank didn't want it, but they took it and put a hold on it for 10 days. They said they couldn't do it again. We use two prominent banks in middle Georgia and neither of them like money orders. I will take a personal check and wait for it to clear, though.

I have did f&f numerous times and have taken f&f many times. Since I’m in Canada most of my items are shipped with enough insurance to cover the unforeseen or unthinkable. I get charged 5% for every $100.00 usd I get thru pay pal and at least a $5.00 transaction fee. The fee goes up the more the transaction is. On a $500.00 usd transaction I get dinged a $25.00 fee and a currency conversions fee of 5% also. I let the buyer choose. Kim

I have did f&f numerous times and have taken f&f many times. Since I’m in Canada most of my items are shipped with enough insurance to cover the unforeseen or unthinkable. I get charged 5% for every $100.00 usd I get thru pay pal and at least a $5.00 transaction fee. The fee goes up the more the transaction is. On a $500.00 usd transaction I get dinged a $25.00 fee and a currency conversions fee of 5% also. I let the buyer choose. Kim

I'll do F&F buying from you in a Georgia minute. Got no problem with it. Cept finding your dang email address. LOL

I just took a money order and my bank said 7 days to clear. PayPal is almost instant. No running to the bank to wait. So now this sale is gonna take 4days to get the M O , 7 days to clear and another 4-5 days for the buyer to receive it.. 3% is worth my time if I'm buying.

If I buy from a long time FABO member I'll do F&F. I've done it a dozen times and no problem yet. I wouldn't do it for a new ish member though.

Postal money order...no way Jose.

I guess I am the odd guy in here that I will only use postal money orders to buy and sell things. I got screwed with PayPal when it was new so I don’t care to do it again.

I do not even know what F&F is.

Thanks for the replies. I still question whether I should deal with someone who does mostly buy, and sell. And has a score in the 70's. And suggested a MO, thoughts?

Thanks for the replies. I still question whether I should deal with someone who does mostly buy, and sell. And has a score in the 70's. And suggested a MO, thoughts?
If payment clears and the $$ is in your hands free and clear, their rating doesn’t matter. If the MO cashes and you get the funds, it’s all good.

I wouldn’t ship anything until you have the $$ in your hands free and clear.

Simple business, their history and rating is irrelevant if you have the cash.

I would think he is a trusted seller/buyer. Check his feed back. Or u can post his/her name and ask if they are a trusted person. I would t be offended if someone asked about me. Kim

I wouldn’t. Think about it. Guy “mostly buys and sells”. So, his primary reason for being here is a business. Basically anyway. And yet he still has a feedback rating in the 70’s? That could hurt business. So, lousy businessman. If he was worried about his feedback rating, and he should be if he’s buying and selling here, you’d think he’d work with his buyers/sellers to get positive feedback, “make things right” that sort of thing. But he doesn’t, because he has lousy feedback still.

The money order isn’t really suspicious to me, maybe it should be. But I don’t use them anymore because they’re a pain in the ***. Same thing too, if this is a side gig, why delay every single transaction by more than a week? Because that’s what a money order does, even when they’re legit.

Sorry guys, I don’t have a Paypal account. I use the postal money order. Haven’t burnt anyone doing it this way, and haven’t been burnt. Of course, I don’t spend more than what I’m not willing to lose. I try to have faith in people. Sometimes that’s hard to do.

Have made and purchased a lot of items on here using PP not family and friends , I’m happy to pay the extra and I alway state to the seller don’t send until funds clear so it shows I’m no shitester. I’m grateful that they go out of their way to make sure I receive the parts as I live on the other side of the world .

if they are the buyer and want to take a chance with friens and family thats on them.. as a buyer i never use friend and family. i'll pay the fee myself. its cheap insurance to me...

So, if someone has a low trading score( in the 70's) ,and most of their posts seem to be buying, and selling, and they ask about a postal MO, should I be concerned?

nothing wrong with a postal MO except the time it takes to receive. you never send the part until you cash the money order though.

Dave, I sell parts on here to fund projects I'm doing. PayPal is easiest. I would only take F&F from people I know. M/O or check I wouldn't send parts until funds clear. Again unless you know the person. Those postal M/O I just personally don't use them because I don't want to go stand in line at that dreaded **** hole and wait. So if someone says postal M/O only I usually tell them keep that part. I'll find it somewhere else. My .02
Larry

So if someone says postal M/O only I usually tell them keep that part.

i agree.. there has been a few times i passed on a part/parts here because the seller didn't take paypal.. i can't be bothered going and getting a money order, waiting for the snail mail to get to them, waiting for the money order to clear and then waiting for the parts to com.. screw all that. paypal is instant, get my part shipped the next day and i'm good..:)

-
Back