Sensitive power steering

-

DavidW

Reaction score
My 68 Dart 340 has power steering. The car had around 80K miles. The pump and box were leaking as the car sat in the owners back yard for over a decade, so all new gaskets were put in. No leaks now, but the steering is super sensitive in the straight line. I just think of left or right and the car veers. No fun. Any ideas guys?? The front end is all new.

I would start with checking all the front end suspension parts, replace as nec. Then a wheel alignment to modern radial tire spec (below) because if it's still set to factory specs for bias tires, around 0 caster, the newer specs with more caster gives better directional stability, - it'll track straighter.
Low caster, worn idler arm and linkages, wrong toe-in will cause a dodge left and/or right .
Good luck .

Screenshot_20230904-083952.png

Last edited:
Thanks for your speedy reply. I'll find out what the alignment settings are from the restorer. A friend of mine also wondered if it was the valve body?

Thanks for your speedy reply. I'll find out what the alignment settings are from the restorer. A friend of mine also wondered if it was the valve body?
A good alignment needs to come after you inspect the front end parts for wear. After the alignment, then check to see how it handles.

If all the parts are new and installed correctly, recheck the alignment. If it's toed out, that would make that steering real twitchy.

There's a part inside that steering box that has an adjustment. If I recall correctly its called a reaction shaft or something like that. I believe if you take off the top block of the steering box where the hoses connect, it will expose the shaft. It has a ball on top and a flat slot in it. If anyone messed around with this it could be causing your issues.
As far as adjusting it, I cant help. Its been so long since I did one. You will have to adjust the top block when you reinstall it. The process is listed in the FSM and its very important to get it right. And do not reach through the steering wheel to start the car while adjusting this. If its out of adjustment the wheel can turn abruptly and snap your arm off.

There's a part inside that steering box that has an adjustment. If I recall correctly its called a reaction shaft or something like that. I believe if you take off the top block of the steering box where the hoses connect, it will expose the shaft. It has a ball on top and a flat slot in it. If anyone messed around with this it could be causing your issues.
As far as adjusting it, I cant help. Its been so long since I did one. You will have to adjust the top block when you reinstall it. The process is listed in the FSM and its very important to get it right. And do not reach through the steering wheel to start the car while adjusting this. If its out of adjustment the wheel can turn abruptly and snap your arm off.

The adjustment you mention doesn't require any box disassembly, that top fixture moves back and forth to center the assist, but would probably be the last thing to mess with, unless disturbed.
A good alignment guy should pick that up, - prob wouldn't know how to correct it, but would note it. lol
If miss-adjusted, - can cause injury, - danger !

Last edited:
-
Back