Serious 904 oil pan leak help

-

JeffreysDart

Reaction score
Hi All, Need all the help i can get!
have 2 young boys makes it difficult to spend countless hours taking this apart and mindless trouble shooting.

Opting for solutions and advice from the A Body Mopar Fam
I am about to change oil pan gasket for the 3rd time.........BUT seeing as that wont be the only solution required.

THE LIST OF PROBLEMS
1.The Oil pan leaks
2. The trans level will no go in park, fires up in Neutral to drive.
3. Reverse pulls really hard with no gas given.
4. Transmission oil appears to be coming from up top of the shift level.

Help.
thanks all -Jeff

IMG-6967.jpg

IMG-6965.jpg

IMG-6971.jpg

have 2 young boys makes it difficult to spend countless hours taking this apart and mindless trouble shooting.

I am about to change oil pan gasket for the 3rd time.........BUT seeing as that wont be the only solution required.

THE LIST OF PROBLEMS
1.The Oil pan leaks

Help.
thanks all -Jeff

View attachment 1715776569

View attachment 1715776570

View attachment 1715776571
Ditch the stamped pan and get a new cast aluminum pan use a pan gasket with steel washers embossed in the gasket at the bolt holes apply the bolts with a torque wrench.

Last edited:
Looks like it's the shift shaft seal as the ATF is above the pan gasket. A quick search on here will result in many articles on how to fix.

There's also a rigid pan gasket available from the dealership that is my experience is great at getting a seal first time and is reusable. I can't remember the part number but a search on this site will find it

Looks like it's the shift shaft seal as the ATF is above the pan gasket. A quick search on here will result in many articles on how to fix.

There's also a rigid pan gasket available from the dealership that is my experience is great at getting a seal first time and is reusable. I can't remember the part number but a search on this site will find it
thank you

It’s your **** seal leaking. You don’t need any kind of a trick or expensive trans pan or gasket for this leak.

It’s your **** seal leaking. You don’t need any kind of a trick or expensive trans pan or gasket for this leak.
You are talking out your ***, cast pans work great.
But I do agree with that the "**** seal" is leaking. LOL

1) out my ***? Really? Go check your bad attitude before attacking me, I don’t need your problems.
2) I said he didn’t need a trick pan to fix the leak
I didn’t say they don’t work.
3) his shift shaft seal is leaking so bad how does he know what the trans pan is doing? Just like ****, ATF runs downhill.
3) every one of these 60’s and 70’s cars we like came from the factory with a stamped steel pan and they made it out of warranty just fine
4) I have removed and replaced literally thousands of transmission pans and the stamped steel pans seal just fine. Yes I work in auto repair for longer than you’ve been an Internet tough guy.
5) these web boards convince unknowing folks they need the trick of the day to have a leak fixed. They don’t need trick **** parts They need common sense
advise and they don’t usually get it though. I am Trying to help him fix his leak not spend money for nothing.

I didn't see where he said a cast pan won't work. He said they aren't necessary to stop a leak. He's right.

To the OP....PULL the engine and transmission. Put the engine on the stand so you can actually flip it over and work on it. Put all external seals in the transmission....UNLESS the transmission has ANY shifting issues whatsoever. If it does, now's the time to rebuild it.

I run the summit cast pan and the pan gasket from Dodge. The gasket is awesome for not leaking and is reusable.

1) out my ***? Really? Go check your bad attitude before attacking me, I don’t need your problems.
2) I said he didn’t need a trick pan to fix the leak
I didn’t say they don’t work.
3) his shift shaft seal is leaking so bad how does he know what the trans pan is doing? Just like ****, ATF runs downhill.
3) every one of these 60’s and 70’s cars we like came from the factory with a stamped steel pan and they made it out of warranty just fine
4) I have removed and replaced literally thousands of transmission pans and the stamped steel pans seal just fine. Yes I work in auto repair for longer than you’ve been an Internet tough guy.
5) these web boards convince unknowing folks they need the trick of the day to have a leak fixed. They don’t need trick **** parts They need common sense
advise and they don’t usually get it though. I am Trying to help him fix his leak not spend money for nothing.
Jezzz, partner you got a pretty thin skin there. If you cant handle a little ball busting this may not be the forum for you. Lighten up
Let me guess you are from Seattle or Portland?

I didn't see where he said a cast pan won't work. He said they aren't necessary to stop a leak. He's right.

To the OP....PULL the engine and transmission. Put the engine on the stand so you can actually flip it over and work on it. Put all external seals in the transmission....UNLESS the transmission has ANY shifting issues whatsoever. If it does, now's the time to rebuild it.
I just gave the OP a suggestion as he stated that his pan is leaking. Giving him an option so he can make an informed decision.

Jezzz, partner you got a pretty thin skin there. If you cant handle a little ball busting this may not be the forum for you. Lighten up
Let me guess you are from Seattle or Portland?
Ball busting? It’s just your bullshit, and more accusations and insults from you. Post 9 and 14 are uncalled for.
How bout you watch what you post and treat others with respect?

Ball busting? It’s just your bullshit, and more accusations and insults from you. Post 9 and 14 are uncalled for.
How bout you watch what you post and treat others with respect?
I'm sorry, you practice what you preach I only suggested a way for the OP to stop his " leaking pan" when you jumped in and told him it was a bad idea.
See I'm new to this game I have only been wrenching on cars, trucks and industrial engines for over four decades, retired from a little outfit call Cummins Engine Company.
Bye

Last edited:

THE LIST OF PROBLEMS
1.The Oil pan leaks

Help.
thanks all -Jeff

View attachment 1715776569

View attachment 1715776570

View attachment 1715776571
Selector shaft seal and pan gasket will not fix all those problems. Only problem with my 67 904 was leaking shaft seal. I went ahead and dropped the pan and valve body. Polished the shaft, replace the seal and the filter. Checked the pan for flatness, reinstalled. No leaks. A couple months later the front seal started leaking. Should have known. They are all the same age ( new in 1984). The trans will be pulled and overhauled. Do you know when yours was last overhauled?

My daughter and I just replaced hers yesterday I ordered that performance mopar kit has the pan good gasket filter filter extension and all the hardware with a drain plug. So far so good I straightened it a little on the bench but I doubt it would have made a difference. I thought it was a great deal about 70 bucks

My daughter and I just replaced hers yesterday I ordered that performance mopar kit has the pan good gasket filter filter extension and all the hardware with a drain plug. So far so good I straightened it a little on the bench but I doubt it would have made a difference. I thought it was a great deal about 70 bucks
Having a drain plug on the pan is awesome!

UPDATE!!! GOOD NEWS AND BAD NEWS

]The Good!
1.Fixed the shift shaft lever leak!
2.Fixed the oil pan leak.. love those Summit cast pans with the drain plug!

The Bad!
3.The car still pulls hard in reverse with no gas given.... help any ideas why? (bad valve body)???
4.It now goes into Park after adjusting linkage correctly, however it doesn't actually Park the wheels???

I just gave the OP a suggestion as he stated that his pan is leaking. Giving him an option so he can make an informed decision.

I know and I agree 100% with you that the cast transmission pan can certainly seal better.....it's just not necessary. They're dang nice, though.

I'm sorry, you practice what you preach I only suggested a way for the OP to stop his " leaking pan" when you jumped in and told him it was a bad idea.
See I'm new to this game I have only been wrenching on cars, trucks and industrial engines for over four decades, retired from a little outfit call Cummins Engine Company.
Bye

No wonder you dig cast stuff. LMAO

UPDATE!!! GOOD NEWS AND BAD NEWS

]The Good!
1.Fixed the shift shaft lever leak!
2.Fixed the oil pan leak.. love those Summit cast pans with the drain plug!

The Bad!
3.The car still pulls hard in reverse with no gas given.... help any ideas why? (bad valve body)???
4.It now goes into Park after adjusting linkage correctly, however it doesn't actually Park the wheels???
Please give us a little more definition of "pulls hard in reverse"?
I dont gasp whats going on there.

Please give us a little more definition of "pulls hard in reverse"?
I dont gasp whats going on there.
If your sitting in Park and you just put in Reverse the car will reverse at like 10 mph with no gas given on ide. It’s like it’s very low geared.

-
Back